Lumi's Batshit Insane Thread

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
The Religion (or lack thereof) Thread - Page 346

a_skeleton_03, like Lumie, arguing who isn't a Christian

lol
The thing is, some sects have really whacky extra beliefs, such as the Mormons with the Book of Mormon, but at their core, since they all baptize, accept that salvation is only attainable through Jesus' "sacrifice" and believe in confession of sins, they're all Christians.

I really prefer the term "Abrahamists" to umbrella all the variations, denominations, and religions under one heading for simplicities' sake as a result.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
The thing is, some sects have really whacky extra beliefs, such as the Mormons with the Book of Mormon, but at their core, since they all baptize, accept that salvation is only attainable through Jesus' "sacrifice" and believe in confession of sins, they're all Christians.

I really prefer the term "Abrahamists" to umbrella all the variations, denominations, and religions under one heading for simplicities' sake as a result.
Its just such a cop out to claim a word like Christian only applies to your special super duper sect of Christians. I'm implicitly encouraged to tell all of them to fuck off.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>

While I understand the point your are making, I don't think thatAbrahamistsaccomplishes the same thing thatChristiandoes in terminology. There are theological differences significant enough that these cannot be simplified into a single religion. Are there common parts? Yes. Is there more in common than there is in difference? That's the important part. Christianity believes that Christ is the new Adam, and that he is part of God. Other religions you mention think of Christ as a prophet, but not God.
This may seem an insignificant difference to most, but when you look at a Christ centred theology that puts him as the third part of the Trinity, reducing him to a Prophet is a very substantial difference.
It's splitting theological hairs, but if you've made the decision that Christ is what Christianity claims he is, it is a big difference.

Now, having said that, I find it ridiculous that these religions can't get their shit together and acknowledge the common ground they all have. Imagine the shit that they could accomplish if all Protestants and related Sects decided they really have no issues of substance with Roman Catholics, and they became simply Christians. Then imagine if Christians and Muslims decided the differences were not that large, and they became simply People of Faith. Can you imagine how large that group would be? Can you imagine the financial and personal resources it would have?

People are fucking stupid. Decide you're human. Treat other humans with respect. So many problems would be solved.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
While I understand the point your are making, I don't think thatAbrahamistsaccomplishes the same thing thatChristiandoes in terminology. There are theological differences significant enough that these cannot be simplified into a single religion. Are there common parts? Yes. Is there more in common than there is in difference? That's the important part. Christianity believes that Christ is the new Adam, and that he is part of God. Other religions you mention think of Christ as a prophet, but not God.

This may seem an insignificant difference to most, but when you look at a Christ centred theology that puts him as the third part of the Trinity, reducing him to a Prophet is a very substantial difference.
Jehovah's Witnesses don't believe Christ is part of the Trinity, and in fact reject the Trinity outright. They are still Christians because they engage in baptism, believe that salvation only comes through Jesus' sacrifice, and believe in confession of sins.

In fact, several Christian sects throughout history do not accept the divinity of Christ, or Trinitarianism.

The fact of the matter is very simple: All three religions, Christianity, Judaism and Islam, are all descended intellectually from the Abrahamic traditions. Which makes you all Abrahamists.

All Christians, Jews and Muslims are, by definition and set theory, Abrahamists.

Not all Christians are Jews, not all Jews are Muslims, not all Muslims are Christians.

But all are Abrahamists.

This also goes for the Ba'hai's and probably several other groups I'm forgetting.

Now, having said that, I find it ridiculous that these religions can't get their shit together and acknowledge the common ground they all have. Imagine the shit that they could accomplish if all Protestants and related Sects decided they really have no issues of substance with Roman Catholics, and they became simply Christians.
The growth of secularism is already making this happen. I can only shudder to imagine all the horrors that will be unleashed by these lunatics if they decide to stop fighting amongst themselves and start fighting with the people that don't follow their Abrahamist founded beliefs.

Abrahamism is among the most disgusting of belief systems ever conjured into existence by human imaginations.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Jehovah's Witnesses don't believe Christ is part of the Trinity, and in fact reject the Trinity outright. They are still Christians because they engage in baptism, believe that salvation only comes through Jesus' sacrifice, and believe in confession of sins.

In fact, several Christian sects throughout history do not accept the divinity of Christ, or Trinitarianism.

The fact of the matter is very simple: All three religions, Christianity, Judaism and Islam, are all descended intellectually from the Abrahamic traditions. Which makes you all Abrahamists.

All Christians, Jews and Muslims are, by definition and set theory, Abrahamists.

Not all Christians are Jews, not all Jews are Muslims, not all Muslims are Christians.

But all are Abrahamists.

This also goes for the Ba'hai's and probably several other groups I'm forgetting.

The growth of secularism is already making this happen. I can only shudder to imagine all the horrors that will be unleashed by these lunatics if they decide to stop fighting amongst themselves and start fighting with the people that don't follow their Abrahamist founded beliefs.

Abrahamism is among the most disgusting of belief systems ever conjured into existence by human imaginations.
Yeah, I understand what you are saying, but simply claiming common ancestry for religions can't put them all in the same tent. Significant enough differences in theology and history and interpretation creates separation.

Do you really believe the growth of secularism driving decidedly religious people into similar rather than disparate camps is a negative? Seems like it might be a positive. If only we could move past fundamentalism and exclusion in religion, I think we'd be in so much better shape the world over.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Its a lumpers versus splitters diacussion. You can split as much as you want. The fndamentals remain the same. They all worship El, they all believe themselves to be literal and/or intellectuals descendents of Abraham, the minor differences like "Is Jesus a prophet or literally a part of El's fundamental essence?" are always going to be far more important to those viewing the situation from the emic point of view.

as for the second paragraph, religious people are uniting and casting off some of their doctrinal differences because of fear as they see their slice of the intellectual pie shrinking in the face of an onslaught of rationale based i quiry and evidence based beliefs aka secularism. As that pie shrinks further, and only the most die hard of believers remain, how can that not end in more radicalism, more violence, and push back?

I think Cad said something about this a few days ago, about the further entrenching of radical beliefs and crazy acts in response to the gradual decline in believers.

Can you deny that Christianity, particularly protestants, truly believe that a decline in religiosity around the globe is a sign of the coming Apocalypse? They beleive the whole world will turn on and oppress them, force them to wear the mark of the beast, that religious people will be hunted down, etc. Ive been there and seen that belief expressed regularly for decades. How can this not result in more pain and suffering.

These belief systems are and have always been cancer for the human condition.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Google Maps has also told you to get out of your car and swim across the atlantic ocean if you want to travel from the US to Europe. There maaaaaaaay be a few snarky folks working there.
Actually, it's something quite different. Idiots like lumie wrote that shit in the CERN comments section.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
ITT: We learned the defining characteristic of Eomer's self identity is being an atheist. Grats on being a boring fuck.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Atheism is one position on one question.

The defining characteristic which underlies atheism is rational skepticism.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
How is atheism being your self-identity a boring fuck?

Way better than self-identifying as pretty much any religion.
Really?

Your defining identity is that you don't believe in something risky and instead you are taking a safe and logical stance?

So you think Spock is a super engaging and personable character with a deep and rich involvement in life?