Lumi's Batshit Insane Thread

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Spocks entire character arc is about learning to temper both his human and vulcan sides and find balance between rationality and emotion.

Dude was complex as hell

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
ITT: We learned the defining characteristic of Eomer's self identity is being an atheist. Grats on being a boring fuck.
I don't think I said that at all, really. All I said was that while I was raised Catholic, I had long thought of it as being bullshit. That doesn't even count as a statement of atheism. That's just a rejection of one Christian sect. That's it. For all you know, I could be buddhist, hindu, agnostic, atheist, shamanist, pagan, whatever. And certainly nowhere did I say that my religious beliefs or lack of them are a "defining characteristic of my self identity."

So in all honesty, are you fucking retarded or something?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I kinda wanted to RRP Lumie until Sept 24th for telling someone they should kill themselves. I still might do it

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Rational skepticism = agnostic.
Gnosticism/agnosticism deals with knowledge claims.

Most atheists are AGNOSTIC ATHEISTS

Which means they BELIEVE there are no gods, but do not make a claim to KNOWING FOR A FACT there are no gods.

False dichotomy fallacy detected.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
I might be wrong, but I thought there were several posts of yours that had the same "holier than thou, I'm a atheist" trope.

Might go back and look, but might not.

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
I might be wrong, but I thought there were several posts of yours that had the same "holier than thou, I'm a atheist" trope.

Might go back and look, but might not.
You can be an agnostic Christian. You can be a gnostic Christian. You can be a gnostic atheist. You can be an agnostic atheist.

Gnost is greek for 'know'. So a gnostic Christian would say, "I know that Jesus is God". You meet lots of these in life. Since there is pretty much no evidence of this stance, faith is required. Faith itself has been converted into a virtue and most Christians utilize that 'virtue' to its fullest and claim to know, for certain, that Jesus is God. They make faith-based gnostic claims.

An agnostic Christian would say, "I don't know for sure, but I believe that Jesus is God". Much more rare. I've met one or two of these in my life. These are the types who can admit that they don't know for sure but would really like for the Jesus fable to a true one. They are conflicted individuals. They know the dangers of gnostic faith, but they *really* like Jesus. They are usually going to pretend to be gnostic around other Christians.

A gnostic atheist would make a knowledge claim that they 'know' for sure that God does not exist. These are the types of people that religious people are imagining when they say things like, "Being atheist requires just as much faith as being religious." They are incorrect. What they should say is being gnostic requires faith. I have, quite lieterally, never met a gnostic atheist in my life. You may find one or two crazies here or there, but for the most part gnostic atheists don't really exist.

That leaves agnostic atheists. We are legion. We don't 'know' if God exists or not, but we do know that there so little evidence of it that we go ahead and assume God isn't there. The same way I assume there isn't a magical teapot that orbits Venus that controls my thoughts. Until the evidence for God gets beyond hearsay and coincidence, we see no reason to make a gnostic claim about God.

Hope that helps clear things up for you.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Wow, 10 hours straight of playing. Those Bith really have stamina. Are those the aliens that launched the 9/23 comet at us?

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Hey it cured me of that last ear worm I had. I hate when I get an ear worm for a song I only know a few words of.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Lol, I know wtf agnostic means. And I think agnostic and Christianity (Catholic / Baptist etc) conflict on a basic level. One is the belief that there is an absence of certainty, while the other has faith in the belief as a tenet. Maybe that clears things up for you?

BTW, SORRY EOMER! Was another thread, and prolly another person. I put 90s into looking, didnt see it. But there is a group / person here that throws it into every fucking post (it seems, could be my personal lensing of it), kinda like some of the over the top stupid liberal shit in some threads.

Here is where the Stanhope bit starts:
Doug Stanhope - No Refunds (2007) - YouTube

But anyway, my bad man. Shit gets old, it pervades a few threads. Might have been that I was forced into a front row seat to watch the federal gov't burn a pile of money today.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
rrr_img_107492.png