Mad Men

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Don't think they'd dream of killing off Don he's way too important to the show

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
It was a good start to the season. However, (and I feel like I've been saying this since season two), I'd prefer more advertising stuff and less personal stuff. The most interesting parts of the show, for me, have always been the ads, drama, and situations at work. I've never really cared about Don's family or anything that doesn't directly relate to the agency.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I don't know why people are hating on Joan for prostituting herself. She was offered $50,000, which according to a couple inflation calculators I checked is $350,000+ in today's money. She negotiated for 5% ownership, which means that deal, whatever the value, was better than the 50k. That amount of money will set you up for life. To a newly-single mom who has to work full-time, she'd be an idiot not to. Which of you would not fuck damn near anyone for $350k?
I don't hate on her for it, it was a no brainer. I would do it in a second. But I do think the men of the era, especially the men she is now partners with, will lose respect for her. Or have lost respect for her, I should say.

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
Don't think they'd dream of killing off Don he's way too important to the show
The article isn't talking about Donliterallybeing killed off, but the Don Draper identity dying and the rebirth of Dick Whitman. I'm not sure they'll go that far as Don has become far too entrenched in being Don and any change to that would either completely alter the show or strain credulity. Though, I do think there is something to the theme of death throughout the episode.

Tenks

Also I didn't really know what was going on with the guy talking to Don in the elevator who gave him coffee and then again at the upstairs part of the office. What was his deal? Just trying to get into creative by brown nosing to Don?

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Also I didn't really know what was going on with the guy talking to Don in the elevator who gave him coffee and then again at the upstairs part of the office. What was his deal? Just trying to get into creative by brown nosing to Don?
I take it as laying the seeds for this new "Brown Nose/Kiss Ass" accounts guy trying to schmooze his way into the top. Hes already butting heads with Ken.

I dont think hes going for creative. He kissed Dons ass since he is a Partner.

Same reason he sent all that food to Roger. He has no tact or style.

Tenks

I guess I just didn't understand fully why Ken was so angry at him. Was he just angered by his transparency? It felt like he had a history with the guy that the audience wasn't privy to.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
They made it clear that hes a kiss ass trying to show off.

1) Kisses Dons ass
2) Sends food to the Senior Partner/Accounts Legend with only his name on it.
3) SIts in the lobby working hoping to look good in front of Execs or inflate his self worth.

Accounts is competitive. Ken sees through him and calls him on his shit. He is probably threatened like any accounts man would be. This guy is "playing dirty".

Dabamf_sl

shitlord
The guy did seem kind of out of place. I take Ken's scene with him as realizing what he's trying to do, and trying to keep him in his place. By kissing ass to the higher ups, he threatens Ken's position if he succeeds at it. I think that was the purpose, but it just wasn't very well done.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
The article isn't talking about Donliterallybeing killed off, but the Don Draper identity dying and the rebirth of Dick Whitman. I'm not sure they'll go that far as Don has become far too entrenched in being Don and any change to that would either completely alter the show or strain credulity. Though, I do think there is something to the theme of death throughout the episode.
Yeah, I don't know how far they'll actually take it, but they've always played up the fact that part of what makes Don unhappy is that he's living a lie. He never *knew* happiness as Dick Whitman, so I really doubt he'd want to go back to being him, but it's clear that he's floating along as Don Draper as well.

The most poignant scene in the opening episode for me was him lying in bed with his mistress when she asked him what he wants. His response? "I want to stop doing this." Doing what, sleeping with her? Sleeping around in general? Or did he mean something more?

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
He's still living a lie. His bullshit pitch for the Hawaiian resort, his fucking around on Megan, his relationship with the doctor, his whole life is fake as shit. That is why the scenes of him and Peggy are so good, he is relaxed around her, he is his true self. It happens rarely in the series that you see a genuine moment out of Don.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
He's still living a lie. His bullshit pitch for the Hawaiian resort, his fucking around on Megan, his relationship with the doctor, his whole life is fake as shit. That is why the scenes of him and Peggy are so good, he is relaxed around her, he is his true self. It happens rarely in the series that you see a genuine moment out of Don.
When he was with Anna is when he was truly himself, so different. You are right on with Peggy though, thats the closest he has to Anna I think.

Balroc

Molten Core Raider
what's the name of the actress who plays that doctors wife who lives below don? she a fine bitch.

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
what's the name of the actress who plays that doctors wife who lives below don? she a fine bitch.
Linda Cardellini

5699908370_1607ca3285_z.jpg