Man of Steel

Nester

Vyemm Raider
I really liked it. 8.5/10

Basically what Vvoid said, however i could have done without the last 2 min. I really liked this newer version i just wished they would have pushed it a bit further.

Go see it.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Haven't seen it yet, don't care about spoilers at all. Question for those that have--do they try to explain his (And the other Kryptonians) powers a new way? Is it genetic engineering/"science"? Just curious.

Devlin

Golden Squire
Haven't seen it yet, don't care about spoilers at all. Question for those that have--do they try to explain his (And the other Kryptonians) powers a new way? Is it genetic engineering/"science"? Just curious.
Pretty sure it's the same way as normal, Krypton old sun denser, atmosphere, gravity blah blah blah.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Yeah, they explain that Krypton has an old sun, where as earth has a new sun. And Clark's cells will get radiated with the sun's energy and he'll become stronger than previously imagined.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Went with the wife. Solid movie. I'd give it an 8/10. Wife puts it more around a 9/10.

She puts this at third behind Avengers and IM1.

Only things I didn't like really were the darker outfit (I know, everything has to be darker and grittier now.. yadda yadda yadda) They could have done the "fancy weaving" look with brighter colors. And I do think that the Pa Kent storyline could have been done better.

OTOH, Amy Adams managed to pull off a solid Lois Lane and not once was I thinking "It's Pam from the Office being a reporter" which I kinda feared. They did Superman fights the way they should be colossal/epic scale with appropriate collateral damage. The couple Lexcorp references were subtle enough but done well.

As usual, you will have to bring the normal level of "how can they not recognize him once he's been seen in public once despite any disguise" disbelief, but well.. it's Superman, what do you expect?

I'm not sure if the guy playing Superman specifically went on a serious weight training regimen of they just augmented him with CGI, but the first time they showed him topless I think my wife ovulated...

Devlin

Golden Squire
I'm not sure if the guy playing Superman specifically went on a serious weight training regimen of they just augmented him with CGI, but the first time they showed him topless I think my wife ovulated...
Yeah, the moment that scene started I thought "every woman in this cinema just came".

Lost Ranger_sl

shitlord
They had a bunch of leaked pictures from when they were filming. The dude is a beast. He must of busted his ass for just this role too because I don't remember him being anywhere near this built in The Tudors.

cypis

Lord Nagafen Raider
Of course he busted his ass. He's prepairing for a role that required him to be jacked, it's really not that hard when you've got steroids, dedicated personal trainers, perfectly tuned diet and you're not doing anything much besides that.

Devlin

Golden Squire
I think this review from Wired (http://www.wired.com/underwire/2013/...-movie-review/) offers the best criticism of the film.

Personally, I really liked the movie and give it an 8.5/10, but there's a lot of things mentioned in the Wired article that I agree with. In particular, I think the way Jonathan Kent was handled was pretty lame and could have been done better.
I agree with the Jonathan Kent issue but still quite liked how he died, if they hadn't made him a bit of a pussy it would have been better.

Still loved the movie, meh.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I wonder what he thought when he realized that his adopted dad and his biological dad were both robin hood.

Neki

Molten Core Raider
Man of Steel: How Henry Cavill got in shape with the Superman Workout

Playing Superman on the big screen is an almost insurmountable task. The Man of Steel is the epitome of male evolution, a man who combines a Greek god physique with all that's good and right. Getting in shape for this role couldn't have been an easy task and Henry Cavill said that it was 'hell and wonderful at the same'. Incidentally, his trainer for the movie was Mark Twight who whipped into shape the actors of director Zack Snyder's previous venture 300 including Gerard Butler so that they looked like real Spartans. The 300 Workout gained a lot of prominence on the net with its old school 'No Pain, No Gain' motto. Like Hugh Jackman did for The Wolverine, Cavill adopted a 5000-calories-a-day diet in the beginning of his training to pack on 20 pounds of muscle to his frame. His regime consisted of intensive cardiovascular workouts, bodyweight training and mixed martial arts.

'You've got to eat protein first, then a little bit of carbs . you've gotta keep your hunger levels going,' he told Total Film. 'I'm training two and a half hours a day, pushing my body beyond its normal limits, putting on a lot of muscle mass and just making myself look like Superman.' The hard part starts after that, what professional bodybuilders call sculpting. 'The leaning down phase is the hardest because although you're looking great, you're always in a bad mood because you're so hungry,' Cavill told Glamour...

He spent 5 months training intensively with cardiovascular workouts, bodyweight training and mixed martial arts.For a while he was actually working out 7 hours a day.The weight training regime consisted of 2-3 hours of lifting which were constantly changed to target different body parts and make his muscles grow.

His weightlifting mainly consisted of powerlifting (more sets, less reps than normal workouts) which helps stimulate muscle growth and burn a lot of energy at the same time. These consisted of exercises like clean lifts, squats, deadlifts, presses and bench presses. The workout was very similar to the 300 workout with some extra mass building added to it. The method involves targeting three body parts per workout with eight exercises and training several sets per exercise for 8-12 reps.

Gradually, the workouts get more intensive (more weights, more reps) over a period of months so that your body sculpts and burns all the excess fat. To top it, this workout needs a lot of sustenance and Cavill was actually packing in 5000 calories a day! This is very necessary to ensure that the body gets enough fuel to sustain him through the gruelling exercise regime. The diet comprised a massive amount of protein from eggs, chicken, meat and pulses as well as healthy carbs like fruits and vegetables (Note: Most people think of bread or rice when they hear carbs but the fact is that both fruits and veggies are excellent sources). One thing's for sure, the Superman Workout isn't for everyone, but then the Man of Steel is the saviour of mankind, the most iconic superhero and a man playing him would have to look the part.
The dedication needed for this type of routine is insane and certainly not a training programme for the average person

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
Oh just for reference, the Amazing Spider-man got a 66 on metacritic, 7.2 from users. Is this movie worse than Amazing Spider-man?
I'd say so. The problems Amazing Spider-Man had weren't nearly as crippling as the ones in Man of Steel. If Amazing Spider-Man had come out 5 years or so from now (with more distance to the Sam Raimi Spider-Man) and they'd tweaked the plot a bit it would have been in the same league as Iron Man 2, Thor, and Captain America. Grade B super hero flicks.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'd say so. The problems Amazing Spider-Man had weren't nearly as crippling as the ones in Man of Steel. If Amazing Spider-Man had come out 5 years or so from now (with more distance to the Sam Raimi Spider-Man) and they'd tweaked the plot a bit it would have been in the same league as Iron Man 2, Thor, and Captain America. Grade B super hero flicks.
Just give it up and leave the thread.

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
this is pure lulz read at your own risk and yes this fucked up review does spoil some of the movie but nothing important. Just pure lulz what people will do to see what they see.

Grasping at straw's at this point i'd say
http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...ty-references/
Nah bro, Christians are jelly. Super Man is Moses.

RETCON: Nope, yeah they're right he's jesus now. The whole "give us this guy - and lois lane or else" bit was straight up Jesus.

Tortfeasor

Molten Core Raider
this is pure lulz read at your own risk and yes this fucked up review does spoil some of the movie but nothing important. Just pure lulz what people will do to see what they see.

Grasping at straw's at this point i'd say
http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...ty-references/
How exactly is this grasping at straws? I thought that superman being based on Jesus was pretty common knowledge. And if the derps at fox weren't so fucking lazy, they could have included like 3x the references in that article. Imo, Snyder was a little too heavy handed with it.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I am not the least bit religious but when Superman jumps out of the ship with his arms extended I immediately thought Super Jesus shot.

Loved this movie. The realistic collateral damage was great.