Man of Steel

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Yeah I'm sure there would have been a lot less bitching and crying if Superman was able to beat all the bad guys and save all the people without any property damage at all.
No it wouldn't automatically make it perfect but it wouldn't have been such a sacrilege. Don't try to explain why though. It was bad writing that didn't fit into the persona that is Superman. That is all. There isn't an excuse. That is just how he wanted the movie. This isn't an unscripted youtube video that we are commenting on. This is a $225M film carefully constructed and every scene worked on.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ok, now I have seen the movie.

I give it a 5/10. The script was stupid and had way to many holes. The movie went from scene to scene to scene with very little connectivity. Taking a 3 movie idea and making it 2.5 hours was a dumb idea. Please go back to the original origin with Krypton and Superman's weakness. I prefer the star dying angle over this new one.

"Our planet is dying because we mined it to much.. Because of this we deserve to die because it the the moral and right thing to do". However, there was a failed rebellion that attempted to overthrow the minds of the leadership who then got caught and was imprisoned on a ship orbiting the planet that was going... to... explode.

What...The...Fuck..?????

A race capable of setting up colonies on other planets, has the use of warp drives, and can terrraform any planet, is incapable of saving its own demise because it is wrong.

That aside, the effects were very well done. I loved that the city got completely trashed, as it would if that situation occured. Though not mentioned, I presume at least 1 million people died as collateral damage. I sighed at the "Clark Kent becomes a reporter angle" at the end. I am sure nobody could ever guess he was Superman now that he wears glasses and hangs out near Lois Lang.

It was a fun popcorn movie kind of like Transformers and was nowhere even close to Batman in thought and writing. If somebody had told me Michael Bay had wrote and directed this movie, I would have believed it. The Avengers easily beat out this movie and remains the best of the super hero movies. It is sadly just a little better than Spiderman and the Green Lantern only because of effects and star power. If this is what is to be expected for future Superman movies, I will skip the next one. With that kind of writing I am unsure about how they can even do a "Justice League" or a batman/Superman movie.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
Avenger was fun, joyful and just full of fantastic chemistry. Thought Green Lantern was better than Man of Steel...
i dunno...it was more fun.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
the way i interpreted the ending was...

Superman has to choose...kill his own specie...or save his new homeland...aka human beings.... i guess that is one of the reason why Superman was shouting after he killed General Zod...

but Nolan was right...he shouldn't have done it...

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Zod dying was actually one of the better parts of the movie. That surprised me not because "Superman never kills anyone", but because it had to be done and was done in this movie. You have a person that is hunting you and your family down. he gets close and you have a chance to end it. Do you let him/her live because it is the right thing to do? You know this person will keep trying and keep trying and keep trying until they succeed. Why risk more damage and death and not just end the source of it all? Zod was way to powerful and destructive to allow to live.

Breaking his neck was odd, but I guess that works as well as blowing him up into a lot of small pieces.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
He's a fucking farmboy who, for the first time in his life, is fighting with people every bit as strong as he is. From your post I'm going to assume you've never been in a fight in your entire life, because if you had you would know how hard it is to consider anything other than trying to keep from getting your ass beat, especially when you're just some random dude who grew up on a farm and the people you're fighting have spent their entire life either in combat or training for it. That lone family is the first time he was actually directly confronted with humans about to die as a result of his fight with Zod.
That's seriously reaching dude. Maybe the fact that we don't see anybody get hurt during the fight despite the whole city melting is because Superman used his X-ray vision to avoid buildings with people in them? Maybe the city was supposed to be evacuated? Maybe like someone said his rationale was better 100,000 dead than 6 billion and he just had to accept it?

The problem is even if you are right we don't know because Snyder never bothers explaining anything. For a 2.5 hour movie it's amazing just how little you know about how superman feels or what he's thinking. Everybody is entirely one dimensional and any acting/story is simply there to support the special effects, rather than vice-versa the way it should be.

All I'm saying is that it's a shame, because as far as how a Superman action/fight scene should be filmed, Snyder is a fucking Mozart and nailed it 100%. It's just sad that he didn't bother working on story and creating any empathy for the characters, as it would have taken from a simple technical masterpiece to an actually great movie.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That's seriously reaching dude. Maybe the fact that we don't see anybody get hurt during the fight despite the whole city melting is because Superman used his X-ray vision to avoid buildings with people in them? Maybe the city was supposed to be evacuated? Maybe like someone said his rationale was better 100,000 dead than 6 billion and he just had to accept it?

The problem is even if you are right we don't know because Snyder never bothers explaining anything. For a 2.5 hour movie it's amazing just how little you know about how superman feels or what he's thinking. Everybody is entirely one dimensional and any acting/story is simply there to support the special effects, rather than vice-versa the way it should be.

All I'm saying is that it's a shame, because as far as how a Superman action/fight scene should be filmed, Snyder is a fucking Mozart and nailed it 100%. It's just sad that he didn't bother working on story and creating any empathy for the characters, as it would have taken from a simple technical masterpiece to an actually great movie.
I agree with most of what you said.

Does Superman cry? The little boy they used to play him at a young age was horrible and reminded me of Manikin Skywalker in that he could not produce a single tear.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Just seen this. Awesome film but DON'T THINK, so much hurting my brain.

The most pressing question I think is: Why not terraform Venus?

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole

I'm the one reaching? You guys are just pathetic at this point. This fight was no different from the series finale of JLU against Darkseid, or the animated Doomsday movie, and I didn't hear people whining about how Superman wouldn't have fought in the city when those came out.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
waNzsPY.gif

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
^ lol

That's one thing that always confused me about superman, like how do people not make the connection between the two personalities(especially the face). I mean glasses and different hair doesn't do that much. I learned to just go with it and not to overthink it too much.

Touraxus_sl

shitlord
Zod dying was actually one of the better parts of the movie. That surprised me not because "Superman never kills anyone", but because it had to be done and was done in this movie. You have a person that is hunting you and your family down. he gets close and you have a chance to end it. Do you let him/her live because it is the right thing to do? You know this person will keep trying and keep trying and keep trying until they succeed. Why risk more damage and death and not just end the source of it all? Zod was way to powerful and destructive to allow to live.

Breaking his neck was odd, but I guess that works as well as blowing him up into a lot of small pieces.
That is how i took it, he made the choice to be the protector of earth rather than the savior of krypton.
The shouting after he did it was reminisce of episode 3, but it was for a reason here, it was a choice he was forced to make but didn't want to.
He was attempting to protect his home much like his biological father while attempting to meet the standards that both fathers taught him.

And while many died during his fights, most of kansas was due to the military interfering and attacking all involved. The metropolis fights I viewed as him being to new to the scope of his powers when going against someone else with the same capability.
Remember, he held back from fighting most people to avoid being found out and since he knew he would crush them. This new fight allowed him to discover more of himself, while in a bad place to do so will teach him in the future movies.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
I'm the one reaching? You guys are just pathetic at this point. This fight was no different from the series finale of JLU against Darkseid, or the animated Doomsday movie, and I didn't hear people whining about how Superman wouldn't have fought in the city when those came out.
Dude, first off this isn't a cartoon hence I expect a higher level of realism and character development. I've never watched JLU or this Doomsday movie, and perhaps I'm unique, but my criteria for what makes a good cartoon and what makes a good motion picture are quite different. Secondly, the fact that he fought in the city is in of itself NOT the root issue, but a symptom of a larger problem in that Snyder doesn't bother fleshing out motives, thought processes, or characters. It's cool if he fought in the city IF they bothered paying any attention to the human and emotional toll involved for all, or at least showed how it affected Superman.

The "fight in the city" minus the true human toll, both emotional and physical, is just the most glaring example of incongruity between the script and the visuals/action. To be fair to Cavill, without a script to flesh out his thought processes and character, all he was left with was emotes, of which there only seemed to be "boytoy-coy" and "deadpan".

I think the reason why reviews for this movie are so divisive is that there is one camp that wanted this movie to play out like an issue from Crisis of Infinite Earths (sorry for old analogy, last comic series I read years ago) while the other camp basically wanted a movie with the character development/script of Superman I/II (minus hokyness) along with the fight scenes they DID deliver in this movie. The former group is obviously satisfied, the latter not so much.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Well when they make a cartoon for $200M, then we can shit on that too