Marriage and the Power of Divorce

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Wish mine needed time to decompress on his own. He decompresses with me on the phone and it drives me crazy.
he sounds like a woman!

My wife is the same way, she needs to talk through stuff (her day, the kid, work, etc.) in order to come down. For me I just need time by myself with music or tv or whatever to just turn off my brain for a bit. I used to spend all day working then drive home with her talking and then more talking when I got home. I figured just turn things off on the drive to make it better and it has.

And we don't text that much anymore. Sometimes I'll ask her how her and the kid are on my lunch and then later I'll let her know when I'm coming hoome. We're beyond the lovey-dovey need to communicate 24/7 phase.

Sometiems I do text her pics of my wang though

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
She's in clinging mode, everytime it blows up and I walk out on her she is calling and messaging me a day later to apologize.

The relationship is dead at this point, Im basically just helping her, keeping her company.

Guilt is the only thing keeping me attached, I want her to be in an emotionally stable place--but she, like the bird, has the luxury of being in an ok enough survival situation, that she can afford to be an emotional wreck. And here is where we are.
What is the guilt over?

Is she suicidal or something?

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I text with my wife, and periodically email if it's something that she needs to see. This seems normal to me. However, there is no "Why the fuck didn't you respond to my text within 30 seconds" expectations of work-day texts. If I text and she takes an hour or whatever to get back, she's busy, and all is well.
What I don't get is these couple that text roughly 50 times per day and can't seem to be out of contact with each other for more than a few minutes. Weirdos.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Maybe it's why I'm single but outside of things like what time are you off or what's the plan for dinner, I don't see weekday you need to talk about with your S/O during your standard work day.
Well, there's also making plans for things like comic conventions, or for building the deck, changing insurance, buying a car, etc. We switched to email because it leaves a record that texting doesn't. Sometimes it's so tedious to get a decision made that I feel great relief when I search emails and find where we've already decided something. There's not really a NEED to talk as much as we do, but we like each other. If some shit goes down during the day, like an idiot on the freeway, for example, I'll send her an email while it's fresh in my mind instead of saving it till we're home and forgetting it. She does the same.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
I'd rather talk about that in person since emails and texts are a hassle. I don't need am affidavit on what color we are painting a room.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
You might have a perfect memory. Or, more likely, you think your memory is a lot better than it really is.

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
Did she give birth to the bird? I'm pretty sure she has postpartum depression.

I guess what I'm asking is are you fucking a giant bird/woman hybrid?

Grown Up Stuff!
Bro I don't care, if people actually posted in the girls who broke my heart thread I would post there.

The honest reality is yes, to her this bird is a manifestation of the child she may never have. Its very unhealthy, like those freaks that call their cats and dogs fur babies.

She knows its coming I think, part of her is probably done with me too, it's just, if I can I do this where she is least stressed and can handle it.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Bro I don't care, if people actually posted in the girls who broke my heart thread I would post there.

The honest reality is yes, to her this bird is a manifestation of the child she may never have. Its very unhealthy, like those freaks that call their cats and dogs fur babies.

She knows its coming I think, part of her is probably done with me too, it's just, if I can I do this where she is least stressed and can handle it.

Its pretty clear to me that the appropriate way to end this relationship is to cook and eat the bird.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee

She's a woman. Sounds like a crazy one at that. There is never gonna be a "least" stressed time for her. May as well get it over with ASAP and carry on with your life. Feeling guilty is just wasting your time.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
She's a woman. Sounds like a crazy one at that. There is never gonna be a "least" stressed time for her. May as well get it over with ASAP and carry on with your life. Feeling guilty is just wasting your time.
Pretty much this, when I was contemplating it with my ex, I kind of had this thinking that I was waiting for the right time, I should of done it like 3 months sooner and saved myself a lot of wasted time.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Jesus Christ, being married sounds emotionally exhausting.
I just celebrated my 8th anniversary, so I feel like I can speak with some authority on this matter. For me and my wife, marriage has its peaks and valleys (and micro-peaks and valleys within them). There's an ebb and flow in the relationship dynamic that is hard to fully describe, but I think it's part of the human condition to have waxing and waning interest in, well, pretty much everything.

During the valleys (strained, despondent, etc.) marriage is very emotionally exhausting. When we were a new(er) couple, the valleys usually led me to thoughts of divorce, wondering what life would be like without her, wondering what life would be like with other women, etc. As I matured, I stopped taking the valleys personally and understood that they were just a moment in time - one frame in a feature length film. It's a lot easier to identify the root cause of your valley when you don't absolve yourself of all blame and attribute everything that's wrong with your life to your partner. The valleys are few and far between these days because we're attuned to what's upsetting the other and can recognize/resolve the conflict before it comes to a head.

The flip side that nobody really talks about (in this thread at least) is how incredible marriage is during the peaks - especially when your relationship is mature and you're truly life partners instead of a couple of kids playing house. To reach that level you have to be at least a little selfless, accommodating, empathetic, and willing to make permanent changes in your personality and lifestyle. My wife and I have changed a lot over the years. I think the biggest driver of that change was adapting to each others proclivities and pet peeves. We annoy each other less, enjoy each other's company more, and are each other's best friends. Having a strong relationship with someone whom you trust unconditionally is empowering on a level that you couldn't possibly understand without experiencing it yourself. It's fucking awesome.

Anyway, I didn't mean to write a novel. I just wanted to provide a perspective on marriage that isn't often shared here (perhaps because people that are happily married don't browse the thread). Being married and being truly committed to a life-long partnership with someone takes guts, but I think it's one of the most rewarding and satisfying experiences you can have.