Marriage and the Power of Divorce

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I paid $25k for my wedding so we weren't stingy. Could've paid for the tuxes but honestly didn't even know that was a thing

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
No fucking way in hell I'm spending 25k on a wedding. On the bright side, we haven't even talked about the wedding since I proposed. Having a baby really lowers that priority.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I've been in three weddings and paid for the tux every time.

And for one of them the bride was upset I didn't get them a gift. It's like...I rented the tux, bought a $600 flight, and stayed at the stupid fancy ass hotel you wanted us to stay and I paid for that. I think me having to pay over $1k to attend your wedding is more than enough of a wedding gift.

Should have whipped up one of these.

51dV2Nd761L.jpg

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
I keep hearing about people spending this insane mount of money on weddings. Where the fuck do most people get that kind of cash? I feel like I could be making twice as much as I do now and still would never feel close to having 25k to just throw away on a day. People take out loans or something for this shit?

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I keep hearing about people spending this insane mount of money on weddings. Where the fuck do most people get that kind of cash? I feel like I could be making twice as much as I do now and still would never feel close to having 25k to just throw away on a day. People take out loans or something for this shit?

Parents.

Ours prob cost 20-25, i could see us personally doing 5 to 10.

I can see me personally doing about 3.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>

We paid about 25 for ours and got a little more than that back in cash gifts (thanks Asians.) We did have to front the money though, but we made about $150k together at that point.

Lots of people go into serious credit card debt over their weddings, yes. Those people are known as idiots.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
We saved up for our wedding for awhile and paid cash for everything. We made a lot of it back (15k).

It's an absurd amount of money but we wouldn't have done it without having cash on hand. The only thing someone paid for was her mother paid for our honeymoon

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
My wife didn't want to be center of attention.

Wedding consisted of me and her, my roommate, her mom and her sister.

Total cost for us was under $100 since we just bought silver bands since she can't wear jewelry due to allergies and I can't for work.

18 years.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick

Total cost for us was under $100 since we just bought silver bands since she can't wear jewelry due to allergies and I can't for work.

18 years.
I'm happy for you man, to each his own. My wife started with that thought.....

Khane

Got something right about marriage

18 years.

Sounds like my kinda woman

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I dropped about 25k on my Destination Wedding in Mauii and about another 5k on the reception back in Seattle (where we lived at the time). Yes, it was a lot of money, but I don't regret it and I have certain sense of pride about the fact that I paid for the whole thing in cash, without any help from my parents or her parents. Oh and her ring set me back about 12k, mine was 2k or 3k. Been married 14 years and next January will be 20 years from our first date. When it is right it is right and could not imagine the hell it would be if it was wrong, pick wisely my friends.

Last edited:

Khane

I thought the marriage tagline was "Stay Thirsty My Friends"

Is that what I've been doing wrong all this time?

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Wife and I went to the courthouse, then had two receptions people were invited to (one in CA one back home in WI), which maybe set us back 5k tops. Our CA one was an all day Shrek themed mini golf and pizza party at Castle Park and the WI one was Lebowski themed with a night of bowling in bath robes while drinking white Russians, followed by an all day pig roast in the park near my parents house. I have sang in tons of other people's weddings and been to a bunch more that cost multiples of what ours did, but everyone remembers ours over the stupid poofda cash burner ones. If your wife is a princess or her mom is trying to redeem the mistakes of her own wedding, you are pretty much fucked and going to pay out the ass, though. So glad my wife is a tomboy nerd.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Khane

Every wedding I've ever been to always has one thing in common... everyone thinks theirs was the best.

• 1Worf

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
It's true

Ours was pretty swaggy with our photo booth though.

Although her friend had a sausage vendor come in after open bar. That was good

Now 12k on a ring... That I can't get behind

• 1Solidarity

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I know Jewelry Appraisals can be off, with that said I got it appraised right after I bought from a 3rd Party that had no relation with the Jeweler and it was valued at 20k. When we moved a few years ago I had to get a new appraisal for our new insurance and it was valued at 27.5k so I feel pretty good about it. Also, please understand I was in Mortgage at the time (2003) and life was good, money was literally growing on trees for me. They say two months salary, right? that was just about a half-month of commissions for me at the time. now that I have kids I couldn't fathom spending money like that, that shit would go to the college fund.

Last edited: