Marriage and the Power of Divorce

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I got out of mine for 5k and among my wedding gifts were a Rockem Sockem Robots game, Guitar Hero, and a Beatles Box set. I am not saying my wedding was the best, but after 100 (literally) stuffy affairs with someone jackass like me singing Dan Fogelberg songs and a bunch of wound up relatives, I am pretty happy with ours. When most of my friends remember theirs, its usually about how much money they wasted or the drama horseshit surrounding who gets to be in the wedding party. I sidestepped all of that bullshit and am gladder for it.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Now 12k on a ring... That I can't get behind

Yeah this is the part that blows my mind. We never bothered with rings or dresses, which (along with the drama) cut out 90% of the stress of getting married. Our original PS1 in our trophy case? That has sentimental value. Some rock on a hoop worth more than my fucking car? No point in that.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Best wedding I ever went to was for my friend who lives down in Paso Robles - a wine town. He's a winemaker and his wife is a wedding planner. So, as you could guess, the reception was fucking perfect. They had it on NYE which always makes people initially react as "that's shitty of them", but it was fucking awesome. NYE is usually a shitshow anyway, so why not spend it with a fucking free open bar with your best bros? They had a balloon drop at midnight and everything. And since he's in the industry he had friends from different breweries show up. The brewmaster from Green Flash made a beer just for the wedding. All-you-can-eat al pastor tacos and donut food truck. Photo booth. Lawn games. Shit was the jam.

His brother got married last month and he said when he invited me that wouldn't even compare. They didn't even try, haha.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I always said when I find my wife I was just going to get her a band, gold, silver, plat which ever she preferred. I said this because I did not want a gold digger for a wife, but then when I decided to ask her I realized in a million years she would never ask for a fancy ring and that is why I wanted her to have one. The ironic part of this is that a lot of times she just wears a fake cheap ring that looks similar because she is so paranoid about losing it, that used to annoy me but I realized it is just how she operates and I need to let her do her thing. So yeah, we have a near 30k asset that just sits in a box most days.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
To be fair the ring may be appraised and insured at 30k but it isn't like you'd find anyone in a million years to even pay 1/3 of that on the secondary market unless it is tons of gold

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I know Jewelry Appraisals can be off, with that said I got it appraised right after I bought from a 3rd Party that had no relation with the Jeweler and it was valued at 20k. When we moved to Spokane a few years ago I had to get a new appraisal for our new insurance and it was valued at 27.5k so I feel pretty good about it. Also, please understand I was in Mortgage at the time (2003) and life was good, money was literally growing on trees for me. They say 2 months salary, right? that was just about a half-month of commissions for me at the time. now that I have kids I couldn't fathom spending money like that, that shit would go to the college fund.

My experience with jewelry is appraising it is one thing and actually selling it for that is something else. It's a big scam.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
That is why I prefaced it with my comment about Jewelry Appraisals, the money is in the Diamonds more that the metal which is Platinum. My overall point being that it at the very least has held it's value, but it is not the type of thing we are looking to sell anyway. So yeah, my last post should have read "we have a 10+k asset that sits in a box most days."

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
That is why I prefaced it with my comment about Jewelry Appraisals, the money is in the Diamonds more that the metal which is Platinum. My overall point being that it at the very least has held it's value, but it is not the type of thing we are looking to sell anyway. So yeah, my last post should have read "we have a 10+k asset that sits in a box most days."

Diamonds are worthless on the secondary market FYI. Go try to sell it!

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I don't disagree with you. Again, I am not looking to sell. For whatever this is worth the last appraiser said that our Diamonds were MORE valuable because they were certified "non-conflict." I rolled my eyes when he said that because that cert is only worth the paper it was printed on, our Jeweler was a Seattle Hippy Dude that insisted he only would deal in non-conflict diamonds. My hope is that the ring is something we pass down to one of our kids. I came from a very humble upbringing and their are no family heirlooms I am aware of and if there are my parents did not get them from their dead relatives.

Edit: Cad Cad why are you always trying to pick arguments with me? You know I agree with you more often than not. This is not very Christian of you. I think it is just because you like to post that pic of the kid making a fist.

Last edited:

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I don't disagree with you. Again, I am not looking to sell. For whatever this is worth the last appraiser said that our Diamonds were MORE valuable because they were certified "non-conflict." I rolled my eyes when he said that because that cert is only worth the paper it was printed on, our Jeweler was a Seattle Hippy Dude that insisted he only would deal in non-conflict diamonds. My hope is that the ring is something we pass down to one of our kids. I came from a very humble upbringing and their are no family heirlooms I am aware of and if there are my parents did not get them from their dead relatives.

Edit: Cad Cad why are you always trying to pick arguments with me? You know I agree with you more often than not. This is not very Christian of you. I think it is just because you like to post that pic of the kid making a fist.

Rings and jewelry are just a pet peeve of mine because they are generally utterly worthless other than sentimental value. Nothing personal bro.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I think the ring I bought my wife instantly appraised at like $10k over what I paid for it

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Cad acts like that with everyone don't worry

f7f.jpeg

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Thats why if I propose again shes getting a gorgeous lab created diamond and a justice of the peace.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
bought mine a 1.16 CARAT SI2 E EXCELLENT ROUND CUT WITH A TWINNING WISP and i just love it.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users