Marriage and the Power of Divorce

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
It's your life, honestly. If you and your man don't have a problem with it then I wouldn't wait. Although I've heard getting onto mass health is a bit easier now that the initial rush is over.

MA is great because without insurance not only will your hospital bills be massive but you also face a major tax penalty

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I'll wait until I see her start dressing different or putting on makeup.

Well see where this goes. I brought it up with her earlier and she more or less said its adjusting to the new circumstances.

She did buy me a plane ticket to go out and see her later this month.

I do agree with most of these other guys here even if they are kinda being cynical fucks about it. That is not a good situation. Chance of you getting cheated on in that situation are pretty high, and if she's emotionally distant/nonresponsive also then the chances are sky high.

• 1Solidarity

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
So, 11 years in we finally announced to the fam that we're getting married.

Was given two options- big ass wedding a la my sister's, or parents will cut a check for the difference in what they'd pay for a smaller, more intimate event. Going with the second as I don't really have that much wedding hype.

Plan was to go to city hall and just get the legal ceremony out of the way, then do the event afterwards this spring. I was informed that this isn't an option and that both sets of parents and my sister/her husband have every intention of being present of the justice of the peace ceremony.

The problem is thus. A day after we announced this and the proper folks were informed, Maria hit Puerto Rico. His father and his partner are there at the moment. They're doing just fine- their house was up on a height of land, part of a recently-built complex, and sustained minimal structural damage. His dad's a smart guy and filled the gas tanks of every vehicle they had so they could keep the generator going, they're splitting up to hit the markets so they can get double rations. But they're not going to be leaving any time soon. His wife/partner (who, frankly, I have a bad history with) works in insurance. They own another house in the Florida panhandle, but no word yet as to when they'll be getting out. The wife's company sent down a private jet that offloaded supplies and picked up employees who wanted to get out, but I guess she opted to stay behind. Probably had to, given she's mid-level brass.

Thing is, there was a reason for the sudden rush to get legally married. The boy started a new job with the Red Cross recently, but the nice-ass insurance he now gets is not a +1 policy. We have to be married for me to be covered, and I am currently going without health insurance. This is something that could be rectified by me getting on MassHealth but after the fucking rigamarole I went through a few years back trying to get a policy through them, I don't have high hopes of getting covered in a relatively timely manner.

I know it's selfish as hell, but I am very uncomfortable going without insurance. We're now stalled in moving forward because we have to wait for his side of the family to get settled enough to come out here and be here for the event. Am I wrong in thinking they should 'be okay' with only being present at the after ceremony?
I don't see why everyone has to be there for the legal City Hall part. Couldn't you just do a non-official commitment ceremony with everyone there after the fact? In my opinion, it's more selfish of them to need to be there than it is for you to need health coverage.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>

Was given two options- big ass wedding a la my sister's, or parents will cut a check for the difference in what they'd pay for a smaller, more intimate event. Going with the second as I don't really have that much wedding hype.

Plan was to go to city hall and just get the legal ceremony out of the way, then do the event afterwards this spring. I was informed that this isn't an option and that both sets of parents and my sister/her husband have every intention of being present of the justice of the peace ceremony.

The problem is thus. A day after we announced this and the proper folks were informed, Maria hit Puerto Rico. His father and his partner are there at the moment. They're doing just fine- their house was up on a height of land, part of a recently-built complex, and sustained minimal structural damage. His dad's a smart guy and filled the gas tanks of every vehicle they had so they could keep the generator going, they're splitting up to hit the markets so they can get double rations. But they're not going to be leaving any time soon. His wife/partner (who, frankly, I have a bad history with) works in insurance. They own another house in the Florida panhandle, but no word yet as to when they'll be getting out. The wife's company sent down a private jet that offloaded supplies and picked up employees who wanted to get out, but I guess she opted to stay behind. Probably had to, given she's mid-level brass.

Thing is, there was a reason for the sudden rush to get legally married. The boy started a new job with the Red Cross recently, but the nice-ass insurance he now gets is not a +1 policy. We have to be married for me to be covered, and I am currently going without health insurance. This is something that could be rectified by me getting on MassHealth but after the fucking rigamarole I went through a few years back trying to get a policy through them, I don't have high hopes of getting covered in a relatively timely manner.

I know it's selfish as hell, but I am very uncomfortable going without insurance. We're now stalled in moving forward because we have to wait for his side of the family to get settled enough to come out here and be here for the event. Am I wrong in thinking they should 'be okay' with only being present at the after ceremony?
Assuming you explained it to them just like you explained it to us, that's the kind of behavior that makes me want to cut people out of my life. They seriously want you go without health insurance just so you can get married the way they want you to?

Cad

<Bronze Donator>

Just go do your city hall thing and fuck them, unless they ask to see your marriage license and paperwork and such none of them will ever know anyway. It's really not their business.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
See this is why I'm not married. Every time I try someone tells me I'm doing it wrong and have to wait.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Zaara

I'm With HER ♀
It wasn't exactly toward to go 'YEAH BUT I AINT GOT INSURANCE' when we made the announcement, so we held off on telling my parents/sis about the situation until this weekend. They reacted in a pretty standard way- they're perfectly fine with his dad/dad's wife not being there, given all the details. But it's kind of a delicate thing, yeah? His father is aware I have been uninsured, but we haven't exactly taken the time to remind him of that fact in the phonecalls we have been able to have with him. They're dealing with shit like water lines and rations and shit like dead horses being found on people's roofs.

We're probably going to go through with it without them in the end, so it's a spot of angst that mostly comes down to social delicateness.

Ceremony will be another thing entirely. My guest list of about 30 will balloon to probably around 75-80, 'a family dinner' will become a catered fucking extravaganza with the goddamn flowers and cake and catering oh and maybe a band and wouldn't this or this or this venue be nice. Plusses and minuses of being the baby of the family.

• 1Worf

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
It wasn't exactly toward to go 'YEAH BUT I AINT GOT INSURANCE' when we made the announcement, so we held off on telling my parents/sis about the situation until this weekend. They reacted in a pretty standard way- they're perfectly fine with his dad/dad's wife not being there, given all the details. But it's kind of a delicate thing, yeah? His father is aware I have been uninsured, but we haven't exactly taken the time to remind him of that fact in the phonecalls we have been able to have with him. They're dealing with shit like water lines and rations and shit like dead horses being found on people's roofs.

We're probably going to go through with it without them in the end, so it's a spot of angst that mostly comes down to social delicateness.

Ceremony will be another thing entirely. My guest list of about 30 will balloon to probably around 75-80, 'a family dinner' will become a catered fucking extravaganza with the goddamn flowers and cake and catering oh and maybe a band and wouldn't this or this or this venue be nice. Plusses and minuses of being the baby of the family.

As long as they are paying for it, let them go crazy. If you are paying for it, get used to having the "we don't want to spend our money that way" conversation now, because it does not stop until you make it stop.

Zaara

I'm With HER ♀
Oh no, we aren't paying a dime outside of the obvious things like dressage and grooming. I'm a trust baby. The money for the wedding was set aside before I hit puberty.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
I keep telling my fiance that I am also not going to pay a dime for a wedding.

• 2Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick

Yeah but as long as it's what you guys want don't stress it, we didn't. People.give me shit for what we spent but we got what we wanted

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Bruh, you telling us your family are basically ghost hunters is not obscure.

• 1Worf

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Oh... I thought that was your wife's family. Didn't realize it was a step brother/sister's family.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
My step brother filmed and release.ed the video of the "angel", It was my wedding though

• 1Worf

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Oh no, we aren't paying a dime outside of the obvious things like dressage and grooming. I'm a trust baby. The money for the wedding was set aside before I hit puberty.

Can they just give you the money instead of lighting it on fire?