Marriage and the Power of Divorce

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
For some it doesn't make sense to have both parents work. With child care costs in some areas you end up pocketing very little.

Like with my two older kids, when they were in daycare we were paying $400 a week for both. Wife brought home almost exactly that in pay so why bother putting them in daycare when they can be home getting the full attention they deserve in an environment thats more conducive to them?

Outside of that reason though, yeah, there's little reason both can't work.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Larnix

Blackwing Lair Raider
We were in the same boat, we pay about 1400 a month for child care for 2 kids. Its a little less then half of my monthly take home pay as of now. However, I will be moving into a better position in the next few months and the pay raise will cover the cost of childcare. My son starts Kindergarten in Sept so that will also be nice. I must say the one thing I liked about Germany is they subsided daycare, we pay about $250 a month for 8am-12pm 5 days a week.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
We priced it out and managed to find a place that would take all 3 of my kids at 2400 per month. That place was much cheaper than everywhere else, and has since been shut down for numerous code/state law infractions. The owners fled in the middle of the night back to Pakistan, and the space is now a dialysis center. A reasonable place would have been 3k+. My wife wanted to be a teacher in early childhood development, she was working on her degree at the time, was making $9 per hour, and working next to people with graduate degrees who were making like 12. Shit was rough, but there was just no way to make that happen. Staying home was the only option.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
We priced it out, it's like 7k up front plus 1200 per month plus you have to provide them a living space and food. At least it was back then. We would have had to redo our basement to be in compliance with their lodging requirements, it wouldn't have worked financially.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
We priced it out, it's like 7k up front plus 1200 per month plus you have to provide them a living space and food. At least it was back then. We would have had to redo our basement to be in compliance with their lodging requirements, it wouldn't have worked financially.
Plus the hassle of them being a foreign national (most likely)

Cad

<Bronze Donator>

It's like 7-8k up front and $195/wk.

Yes you need a room in the house for them to stay in. Food shouldn't be much, pick a skinny one, they eat jack shit. The room wasn't a big deal to us.

I guess you care that they are a foreign national due to security clearance? Just pick one from France or Germany or Thailand or something, rather than a potentially problem country (China, Ukraine, etc). Actually not sure if there even are Ukrainian girls, never seen any. Plenty of Chinese though.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Finally got approval today that I can move out of state with my youngest son on the condition I fly him out to see his mother once a month. ($90-$135 round trip)

I'm getting set to move back to Michigan, my parents are in not the greatest of health and I'll be living about 2 hours south of them. There's also (of course) a woman I've been seeing that's from where I'm moving to. We've known one another since 7th/8th grade and have been best friends for about 10 years, we've been dating (long distance) for about 18 months now. We've taken turns flying back and fourth every two weeks the whole time, pretty confident things are good. I've known her since I've been 15 and I've known her exceptionally well for over a decade, I can go into this feeling confident that I'm not with a secretly crazy person.

My two oldest who currently live about 5 hours away and I see once a month are okay with the move. My 15 year old son said "If we still see you once a month then what's it matter if you live there or in the same state?" Which I was relieved he had that line of thinking. Even so it was a hard decision but thanks to cheap airfare it'll be easy enough to get them out to see me or me out to them whenever we want.

I've been in a pretty good place for a long time now, which is nice. Life has kept me busy which is why I haven't been posting a ton here in a long while. The woman I'm with is supportive, loves my kids (which was key since my 2nd wife hated my two older kids) and they are large fans of hers. She also has a 10 year old boy who I'm close with, he face times me a lot to show me his new trucks he build son Euro Trucker, lol, he's a good kid. She's good a good job, works hard and is supportive of me and the things I do and am passionate about. It helps we were such good friends for so long before hand, we know what to expect from one another with most situations as they present themselves.

I'm sure some here will find flaws or problems with these things, and that's fine. It's just been awhile since I updated so I thought I'd chime in.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
The best relationship I ever had was with someone I was friends with for like 8 years beforehand. Didn't work out, but that's because distance became an issue. Much worse than the cheap flights you're talking about.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Yeah we've been lucky, its an 11 hour drive, or a 70 minute flight (Minneapolis to Detroit) that Spirit started doing within the last two years. If not for that flight this never would have happened, so as shit as Spirit is as an Airline (customer service and charging for everything) I have a soft spot for them because of this. They fly it once a day and are talking about adding another due to its popularity so I know I'm in no danger of it going anywhere in the near future.

As far as a relationship with someone you've known for so long...yeah it's pretty great. We both know what to expect from one another, we are both still best friends and we feel like when we've dated others in the past there were things in your life you may be hesitant to tell the other person where with each other we don't have that. We've never been judgy with one another as we know we always have each others backs because that's how it's been for the last decade.

All in all it's the most satisfying relationship I've ever been in, which says a lot because for years I've thought I'd never have what I had with my first wife before things went south all those years ago...but this, this puts all that to shame. Like I said, I'm in a good place.

• 1Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I'm not a great flyer. I'm not so bad that I let it stop me from going places or that I need to tranquilize myself to get on a plane but whenever I see one of the Spirit Airline planes all I can think is "Jesus Fucking Christ". There's no way I'd get on one of those.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I'm not sure why? Their planes are all made by the same people making everyone else and are newer (their fleet of planes is the youngest flying) and they go through all the same safety inspections. Two flights ago we were delayed 20 minutes while they had to have someone come on board to repair an arm rest for Gods sake.

I mean, I'll sacrifice a couple inches of leg space for an hour though to save $250 per flight. That's a no brainier to me.

Don't get me wrong though, they will nickle and dime you to death if you let them. Her and I both have a dresser drawer of clothes at one anothers places and I can stuff my backpack as full as I want and its free to carry on. I'm not supposed to use the overhead bin but there's always room so I always do, they never check.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Spirit, Allegiant, and Frontier and on my never fly list. They are not the same quality dude. Planes feel like they're made out of plastic. Plus they pay their pilots shit wages which means they are low quality pilots. Know it's the US and the chances of an incident are low, but everything about those airlines feels cheap. I took a Frontier flight to Vegas once and I'll never use any of those budget airlines again. They have last minute cancellations and issues more than any other airline and they charge for shit like fucking water. Just a poor experience all around.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Here's me looking out the window to see a repair crew fixing the arm of the plane I'm on

giphy.gif

• 1Solidarity

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Spirit, Allegiant, and Frontier and on my never fly list. They are not the same quality dude. Planes feel like they're made out of plastic. Plus they pay their pilots shit wages which means they are low quality pilots. Know it's the US and the chances of an incident are low, but everything about those airlines feels cheap. I took a Frontier flight to Vegas once and I'll never use any of those budget airlines again. They have last minute cancellations and issues more than any other airline and they charge for shit like fucking water. Just a poor experience all around.

That’s fine, I don’t feel any of those things I guess so it doesn’t bother me. -shrug-

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Here's me looking out the window to see a repair crew fixing the arm of the plane I'm on

giphy.gif

I was on a Delta flight once to Dallas and we were delayed 45 minutes while they had to find a light bulb for one of the call lights. Haha I’ve seen the weirdest shit when it comes to delays.