Marriage and the Power of Divorce

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
My father was 25 when he knocked up my 16 year old mother. They've been married for 37 years.

Funny, I worked with a guy with the exact same ages when he got married. He was 25 and his wife was 16. This was back in the 70's. I think he actually started fooling around with her when he was like 23 and she was 14-15. Her parents found out about it later, and they got married soon after. They were pissed as I recall the story.

He's like early 70's, she's early 60s, and still married.

yeahthatisneathuh

Trakanon Raider
I'm 7 years older from mine, and we've been together over 5 yearsish, 4 officially. It can work. I dated younger, too, but that's because I looked young. Few 30 year old women want a 26 year old that looks 18 unless it's for some weird cougar situation. I would've been fine dating my own age, but hey you play to your strengths. People think my wife and I are the same age.

I ask my students how old I am and they are frequently off 5-10 years in the young direction.

Last edited:

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
I'm 7 years older from mine, and we've been together over 5 yearsish, 4 officially. It can work. I dated younger, too, but that's because I looked young. Few 30 year old women want a 26 year old that looks 18 unless it's for some weird cougar situation. I would've been fine dating my own age, but hey you play to your strengths. People think my wife and I are the same age.

I also look way young for my age. There have been people at work who think I'm 27-30. I have zero baldness, I'm in good shape, and only a few grey hairs.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
My little sister is 14 years younger than her husband, though she was in her late 20's when they met. He's a good guy, but she's the mature one in the relationship.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
For me it's less about age difference more about age range. I find the majority of women under 26-27 to not be very mature. I usually end up dating women a year or two older than me for some odd reason and I'm 31.

You do you man I ain't gonna knock it. I think you have the right mindset which is important, you've had more life experiences than her and you'll have to deal with walking her through that.

You don't sound batshit crazy like you're about to put a ring on it so just have fun and feel it out.

• 2Like

Gurgeh

Silver Baronet of the Realm
There are plenty of women (and also some men) whose life experience at 30 is pretty much getting drunk on the weekend and surfing facebook on the weekdays. So I'm not convinced that a 30 year old necessarily has more life experience than a 23 year old... More alcohol tolerance, sure, more sex experience indeed, but I'm quite sure that at 39 you aren't looking for that (mainly).

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Good friend of mine is 42 and is dating a 28 year old. Now mind you she’s an “old soul” so to speak, makes 6 figures at her job and has her shit together for someone her age.

They are doing great and I wouldn’t be surprised to see them marry at some point.

Age, for the right people, doesn’t really matter.

• 2Like

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
Good friend of mine is 42 and is dating a 28 year old. Now mind you she’s an “old soul” so to speak, makes 6 figures at her job and has her shit together for someone her age.

They are doing great and I wouldn’t be surprised to see them marry at some point.

Age, for the right people, doesn’t really matter.

I’ve mentioned before, another reason I like this girl, this isn’t someone looking for me to support them. She owns a house that would sell for $1.1-1.3m. Her grandfather pays her bills and her family has wealth and a lot of assets in the area. I’m not looking at her for money, I have my own, but it’s attractive she’s covered too, especially given the expensive area we live in. If she was some rando younger girl fresh out of college living with three roommates and working as a waitress and a barista and couldn’t so much as pay for a movie ticket, that’d be a problem. The 23 year old I’m seeing is already my financial equal through inheritance.

The last woman I dated who was close to my age lived with her parents and made only $85k a year, which I had no problem with as I completely understand not wanting to blow half your money on rent in the Bay Area.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
Exactly as stated. Her grandfather owns eight houses in the East Bay. In my capacity at work I've got access to various real estate tools and looked them up after she said he did. That's a lot of rental income. I’ve mentioned this before.
I just assumed when you said she was financially stable that she made money/had stable income not a college kid living on dads money.

• 2Like

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
I just assumed when you said she was financially stable that she made money/had stable income not a college kid living on dads money.

Nah. She’s got the capacity to make some good money after graduation though as an RN. Previously stated, but she only wants to work a couple of years and have kids.

• 1Picard

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Good luck with that one bud. A young girl who has everything paid for and knows she'll never actually have to work, getting a degree to be an RN with the intention of luring a man with false ambition just long enough so she can quit and stay at home. That's got entitled brat written all over it.

Just buy a corvette. That's a much cheaper mid-life crisis.

• 3Worf
  • 2Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 7 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Good luck with that one bud. A young girl who has everything paid for and knows she'll never actually have to work, getting a degree to be an RN with the intention of luring a man with false ambition just long enough so she can quit and stay at home. That's got entitled brat written all over it.

Just buy a corvette. That's a much cheaper mid-life crisis.

Your posts are why we need the tiresome reaction in here. You're the Utnayan of this thread, but far less entertaining.

• 1Like
  • 1Picard

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
Khane gets it.

Very suspect that she wants to get a degree only to never use it but gets taken care of while getting a degree.

• 1Like

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Why not both? She wants to know she can make money on her own, so she is doing it so she doesn't fall under the "my hubby supports me" mindset, and also she has family monwy.

• 2Like