Marriage and the Power of Divorce

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Help me decide. I'm 36

Staying with girl of 10 years, share a more similar laid back life style, happy being parents to animals in a quieter rural environment. Personal financial situation would become tenuous, leaving a well paying job. Girl is more akin to a soul mate/best friend at this point.

Being a baby daddy to new yet but deserving woman. Hard working mother with her own place, child is well behaved. Personal financial situation would remain easy and lucrative. Girl is more akin to a thrill/lover, would force me 'man up' and be an adult while I attempt to be a father to this child.
Are either of them white and/or Asian and/or educated? Take the one with the most of those 3 qualities.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Same gene but nowhere near the same environment. I guess that's your way of saying that massive social pressure + very religious people is good for the families ?

Race isn't the contributing factor. Which was the crux of the argument.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Don't the statistics suggest marriages after the first are more prone to failure? Pretty sure the divorce statistic for first marriages are closer to like 27%, and people who get married more than once skew the results towards 50% because fuck getting married more than once.

#1 stfu we're trying to help a man justify a decision he's already made

#2 those stats don't take into account people who learned their lesson. Omni learned his lesson. He and his bride to be aren't trash.

Khane

How can you be so certain?

The statistics Lendarios posted about Divorce rates in African countries. Wildly all over the place, with many lower than divorce rates in the USA.

In the USA Cad was right. The divorce rates among African American families are significantly higher than any other race, even among the educated.

Which also contributes to another factor. Him and I both agreed on the importance of education, but education is unlikely a contributing factor in most of the aforementioned African countries.

So, culture and other social aspects seem to contribute to it more than either race or education. Which is kind of supported by the raw USA statistics as well, especially considering the spike in "Some College" across all races.

Let's get something right. I already admitted my argument with him last night was a soap box pulpit based on his use of the word "nog". Which I think has no place in this section of the forums. There are many people here who have lost touch with their own language use because of certain threads on FoH and I take issue with that. I also took issue with him posting a meme about dog breeds, trying to correlate that in some way to the argument at hand. As if dogs and humans are interchangeable.

Mario Speedwagon

Gold Recognition
<Prior Amod>
The statistics Lendarios posted about Divorce rates in African countries. Wildly all over the place, with many lower than divorce rates in the USA.

In the USA Cad was right. The divorce rates among African American families are significantly higher than any other race, even among the educated.

Which also contributes to another factor. Him and I both agreed on the importance of education, but education is unlikely a contributing factor in most of the aforementioned African countries.

So, culture and other social aspects seem to contribute to it more than either race or education. Which is kind of supported by the raw USA statistics as well, especially considering the spike in "Some College" across all races.

Let's get something right. I already admitted my argument with him last night was a soap box pulpit based on his use of the word "nog". Which I think has no place in this section of the forums. There are many people here who have lost touch with their own language use because of certain threads on FoH and I take issue with that. I also took issue with him posting a meme about dog breeds, trying to correlate that in some way to the argument at hand. As if dogs and humans are interchangeable.
So all those African countries have the same divorce laws as the US?

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Or have the infrastructure to even keep proper stats? Think about the margin of error in the USA, now what is the local multiplier for a 3rd world country?

So you agree there are factors at play that don't have anything to do with race? Alright then, no need to keep the conversation going.

Good thing that you will never get married because you will lose every argument.

Gurgeh

Silver Baronet of the Realm
So you agree there are factors at play that don't have anything to do with race? Alright then, no need to keep the conversation going.
No one was saying that race is the only factor, that being said, in the absence of serious studies it's difficult to say how much it is. I was looking into this kind of stuff for the savings, and it does seem that it's correlated (http://conference.iza.org/conference_files/SUMS_2013/dal_borgo_m5011.pdf) but only explain less than 5% of the differences in behaviour. And to me it's probably the same underlying cause : a significantly different present preference rate, which can be explained by the difference in environment. So it's probably there, but not likely to be as big as some people here believe.

• 1Like

Mario Speedwagon

Gold Recognition
<Prior Amod>
The existence of other factors inherently excludes race from being a factor? Do you think dying at 26 from malaria or machete wounds might be affecting the divorce rate? Do you think the lack of real civilization infrastructure might affect the divorce rate or the tracking of it?

Do you REALLY think that some stats from some African countries PROVE that race has ZERO contributing effect?

• 1Truth!

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>

like worse laws or better laws? Half a divorce 3/4 of divorce?
Maybe the easyness of divorce in the usa is also a contributing factor.

1578438940237.png

Jamaica1.22,948,279

I highlighted Jamaica and Barbados are countries that are full of black people. So the argument that divorce has a genetic component is stupid and has no basis on the real world.

Divorce is a cultural phenomenon driven mostly by laws, religion and societal acceptance.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
The existence of other factors inherently excludes race from being a factor? Do you think dying at 26 from malaria or machete wounds might be affecting the divorce rate? Do you think the lack of real civilization infrastructure might affect the divorce rate or the tracking of it?

Do you REALLY think that some stats from some African countries PROVE that race has ZERO contributing effect?

So why do the black Hispanics have lower divorce rate then american blacks?

Mario Speedwagon

Gold Recognition
<Prior Amod>
like worse laws or better laws? Half a divorce 3/4 of divorce?
Maybe the easyness of divorce in the usa is also a contributing factor.

View attachment 241971

Jamaica1.22,948,279

I highlighted Jamaica and Barbados are countries that are full of black people. So the argument that divorce has a genetic component is stupid and has no basis on the real world.

Divorce is a cultural phenomenon driven mostly by laws, religion and societal acceptance.
When doing a scientific experiment to find the affect of one variable on a certain phenomenon, do you typically try introduce as many differences as possible between your two test environments or do you try to get your environments as close to each other as possible with only your target variable being different?

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
When doing a scientific experiment to find the affect of one variable on a certain phenomenon, do you typically try introduce as many differences as possible between your two test environments or do you try to get your environments as close to each other as possible with only your target variable being different?
Do you like playing peek a boo for hours with a baby? That is the path you are headed down bro. Stop, you already won.

Khane

The widow rate was included in his statistics.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
If you are saying that blacks cant stay married because they are blacks, ( this is your argument), then the counterexample is to find populations of black where divorce rates are low.

Again your problem is that you think there arent blacks outside of the united states, and you think backs in teh United states represent blacks all over the world, when in reality theyare a VERY small sample of the world.

Tanzania has more blacks than the USA.