Marriage and the Power of Divorce

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yeah there is no reason to be anything less than rude and direct if she turns up. If you are really worried, enlist the wife and maybe put out the word to the mutual acquaintances that she is not in any way welcome and to kindly fuck off. But there is nothing to be gained by engaging at all in any sort of direct contact, for sure.

SeanDoe1z1

My wife seems to be the one that wants us to stay together at this point. I'm insanely torn. The trust is gone, her willingness to make it work appears genuine to the point she is asking me to use an app / track / whatever. When I bring up whats the point of being in a relationship like that knowing someone is "looking", her + her counselor agrees that is how we "build trust". I won't bring the diatribes I normally bring, but I'm not doing that. If I want to find out the truth I will always be able to, on my own terms.

I struggle with what I want because the reality of having my kids 100 % of the time doesn't exist without her and deep down I probably knew she was a cheater from the start, even though she was faithful for 10 years. We're both self-sufficient and the thought of being alone has already come and gone for both of us to the point we've already made arrangements if "the day" comes where we actually divorce.

I have resentment, bitterness. The same way she does with me. Pretending history is history and moving forward is such a joke whenever people bring that up. It doesn't happen that way. I left the door open because I have the most to lose and shes making genuine efforts but how the hell do you rebuild a 10 year marriage that was blasted into the stratosphere from both parties.

She isn't stalling or some gotcha from a litigation standpoint. If anything I am.

tldr i'm being pathetic because I don't want to lose time with my kids. and yes i agreed to counseling. this is the second time...but for "Reals"...whatever that means.

Last edited:

SeanDoe1z1

Did you contact that fucking lawyer yet?

Yes. This isn't a new realm for me. My oldest step kid has been a custodial nightmare from the start and I've had the displeasure of being involved thoroughly. The realities behind what a court would order are pretty standard, we would most likely do a 50/50 3-4-4-3 type arrangement with healthcare firmly on my shoulders (Standard) with hard times on paper a verbal continuation from thereon

seperation isn't in order. if we're going to divorce -- we're going to divorce. that we agree on. but to build on what I posted, basically it feels like some purgatory where someone is suppose to drop down and say "you guys did it, you're a couple again!"

except that moment doesn't happen. so for others who have gone through this -- whats the natural outcome for two people who basically have done relationship enders, but want to try to make it work.

does it EVER work?

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Good. I apologize for the swearing. I saw more hemming and hawing, no mention of legal advice, and assumed it hadn't been done.

I don't see how a tracker helps build trusts. Ask inmates how much they trust prison guards. Why do you think she isn't stalling?

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Her orangutan instincts are kicking in and she is hanging on to you until she is completely certain she has a firm grip on the next tree branch. The longer you string this along, the worse it will be when it finally all goes tits up. Better to get it over now and move on while you are still young enough to get back on the horse.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

SeanDoe1z1

Why do you think she isn't stalling?

because she won. everything that she wants she could have and she 100% knows it.

Like, maybe a bitter divorce could cause some discomfort -- but ultimately at worst she has to split equity of the house and move. She pulls the zeros where I pulled the bennies when coming down to a basic finances. Everything is already split as if we were separated and the only remaining thing to do would be kid arrangements. We've talked about this on the regular and she is far from your atypical bitter women. If we were to split we could do it amicably and I say that without rose colored glasses on, its a topic we've broached heavily.

We can't communicate properly when it comes to the day to day shit, but this we are on the same page...

Last edited:

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yes. This isn't a new realm for me. My oldest step kid has been a custodial nightmare from the start and I've had the displeasure of being involved thoroughly. The realities behind what a court would order are pretty standard, we would most likely do a 50/50 3-4-4-3 type arrangement with healthcare firmly on my shoulders (Standard) with hard times on paper a verbal continuation from thereon

seperation isn't in order. if we're going to divorce -- we're going to divorce. that we agree on. but to build on what I posted, basically it feels like some purgatory where someone is suppose to drop down and say "you guys did it, you're a couple again!"

except that moment doesn't happen. so for others who have gone through this -- whats the natural outcome for two people who basically have done relationship enders, but want to try to make it work.

does it EVER work?
no, it doesn't.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
What kind of quack counselor thinks that putting a tracker on someone "builds trust"?

"Employees! We are putting tracking software on everyone's computers to monitor performance and productivity as part of a new trust building initiative!"

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

SeanDoe1z1

What kind of quack counselor thinks that putting a tracker on someone "builds trust"?

"Employees! We are putting tracking software on everyone's computers to monitor performance and productivity as part of a new trust building initiative!"

this is what I thought too, i've only been to one session with her (couples) and it appears to be heavily on the christian theology marriage-by-might type advice.

I was pretty raw, but she definitely wasn't in the whack job realm entirely and it was obviously something they both talked about privately.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Bro do you want a relationship or to be a prison guard. That's the question there.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I too subscribe to the Orwellian version of marriage

• 1Worf

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
I have resentment, bitterness. The same way she does with me. Pretending history is history and moving forward is such a joke whenever people bring that up. It doesn't happen that way. I left the door open because I have the most to lose and shes making genuine efforts but how the hell do you rebuild a 10 year marriage that was blasted into the stratosphere from both parties.

You have to forgive in order to rebuild trust. That's just the bottom line if you are going to continue to have a relationship. That means letting go of the resentment and bitterness. It won't be easy. Far from it. But it is a prerequisite. You have to decide whether that's something you are willing to do or not.

• 1Like

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
No shit that is my entire intention. However, she is totally the kind of person to drop by completely unannounced. That is my concern.

Did you already post pics of her?

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
If you want a couple's counselor, you need to pick them not her.

If you want to rebuild the relationship, that's your prerogative.

Faux

Lord Nagafen Raider
My wife seems to be the one that wants us to stay together at this point. I'm insanely torn. The trust is gone, her willingness to make it work appears genuine to the point she is asking me to use an app / track / whatever. When I bring up whats the point of being in a relationship like that knowing someone is "looking", her + her counselor agrees that is how we "build trust". I won't bring the diatribes I normally bring, but I'm not doing that. If I want to find out the truth I will always be able to, on my own terms.

I went through something similar when I was pretty young. I got married in my mid 20s to a woman I had been with for years. I guess in retrospect, I had ignored some red flags, but our relationship had been really good. Just 4 months after we got married, her behavior started changing significantly and I had to put a keylogger on my computer in order to find out that she was cheating on me with a guy from her work. I confronted her and told her I wanted a divorce/annulment and she pleaded for another shot. Like an idiot, I capitulated and agreed to counseling, and monitoring her via phone was a suggestion that she really wanted to do because it made sense to her as a way to rebuild my trust.

But the simple fact was that I was never able to trust her again after that. I did not want to live in a "police state" marriage where I had to verify her location. If it was at that point, it was already done. The marriage limped along for another 2 years while she tried to rebuild my trust in her, only for me to find out she was sleeping with a guy on deployment with her (while trying to convince me it was time to start a family when she got back). I left and never looked back. People can recover from their mistakes, but they can be better for the next guy.

Your situation is more complex since there are kids involved, but you also sound like you are still reasonably young and have plenty of time to find someone new. I would hate to be deprived of a loving and fulfilling relationship just to try to maximize time with the kids. I think one of our jobs as a parent is to model healthy relationships for our kids, because it teaches them what to expect and look for from a significant other. You'll spend more time with them if you stay, but just consider whether you are getting any more "quality" time with them or if its just more time in general. If you go ahead with the divorce, you may find that not only do you teach your kids about what sort of behavior not to put up with, but the time you spend with them is more focused and better over all than just living in the same house.

I saw a good quote, I forget if it was in this thread or on another board. It went "Don't make your kids responsible for your misery." If you are unhappy and stay together just for the kids, they can internalize that and feel like they are at fault for their parents staying together.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
No shit that is my entire intention. However, she is totally the kind of person to drop by completely unannounced. That is my concern.
Just have your wife put some eastern European curse on her.

• 1Like