Marriage and the Power of Divorce

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
I think it is age related aswell. My sisters' kids did the same in that age range. They turn into little tyrants for a bit.
A male presence definitely helps. My younger sisters husband is a bit of a wimp in that regard and I had a hard time not getting involved. Just be stern and assertive, when they turn into little assholes. Should set them straight eventually if they have no underlying issues.
Yeah. Sounds right.

I was asking my coworker with two young boys around the same age and he said when I put on the “Batman voice” they stop immediately because they know punishment is coming.

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
Haha yeah, one of my sons slapped his mom in anger at maybe 3 years old, and the speed at which I grabbed his arm, lifted him off his feet, and pinned him against the wall while loudly saying "YOU DO NoT EVER HIT YOUR MOTHER AGAIN, DO YOU UNDERSTAND ME?" Seemed to work. 99% of the time I'm the goofy lovable dad, the kids know it's better to ask me about anything than the moms because I'm the fun one who's probably down for ridiculousness, but I'm pretty sure that one incident really drove home the "Dad could easily kill me if he wanted to" lol.
Never happened again, gotta draw those lines for kids and not back off.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Selective and rare punishment is definitely more effective on smarter kids than constant ass whoopings. Young boys especially are acutely aware of it because of how male pecking orders operate.

• 1Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 users

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, my kids only got 2 or 3 spankings each in their lives, and I made a point of never hitting them in anger Well, to be fair I lost my shit one time really early on and spanked my oldest because I was just DONE with a string of little things, and he really didn't deserve it, made me feel like I fucked up and so I made sure that never happened again. I probably threatened them with spankings 20+ times over the years, but they were really reserved for the big "you fucked up so bad you need to feel it" moments. I also feel like I lucked out because I could just be like "Time out, 5 minutes" and they would go stand in a corner facing the wall crying for 5 minutes, then apologize and be fine. I know some kids just say fuck that, make me!, but I never really had to deal with that.

All this talk of kids is making me happy to realize I only have about 4 years of Child Support left to pay on my oldest, and 6 on my youngest, not that there still won't be a billion costs when they are older, but at least I will be able to control where that money goes as opposed to "have a chunk of my income ex-wife, I trust you to spend it wisely - even though a massive problem in our marriage was your inability to not spend all the money!" haha. She's actually a lot better now that she actually has to manage her own finances, but still, I would be surprised if 20% of the support I give her each month could actually be traced to the kids.

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
Selective and rare punishment is definitely more effective on smarter kids than constant ass whoopings. Young boys especially are acutely aware of it because of how male pecking orders operate.
I don’t recall ever seeing my father lose his temper, and the few times I was spanked he’d send me to the room to wait while he took time to decide the punishment… probably also for him to cool down.

I still shudder to think what he would have done had I struck my mother.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I am german and my grandpa was a master of limited but psychologically intense punishment. His favorite thing to do was to send you out to go get a switch he could spank you with.

• 1Like

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
I am german and my grandpa was a master of limited but psychologically intense punishment. His favorite thing to do was to send you out to go get a switch he could spank you with.
I think most kids growing up in the southeast were told to do this also. At least I was.

• 1Solidarity

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
My dad used to take the power cord of my computer. I'd have endured a thousand beatings in leu of that. It always made me fall in line.

I hope my kids are disciplined that easily.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I'd have endured a thousand beatings in leu of that. It always made me fall in line.
Same here. My Dad used to PW lock my BIOS and I wasn't smart enough at 12 to figure out how to flash it. If cell-phones were a thing back then it would've been simple, but if I couldn't access my computer, I didn't have access to the internet at all.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
I can count on a couple fingers the times my dad actually laid hands on me, but he sure had the knack of putting the fear of god into us with expressions and body language. I seem to have inherited it as well. I haven't given physical feedback to my kids since they could talk, but I can crush their mood with a well-timed glare. Not the dad super power I necessarily wanted, but here we are...

Same here. My Dad used to PW lock my BIOS and I wasn't smart enough at 12 to figure out how to flash it. If cell-phones were a thing back then it would've been simple, but if I couldn't access my computer, I didn't have access to the internet at all.

I'm waiting for my pre-teen son to really cross a line and he'll discover the power of MAC address filtering.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
My father was the most unruly and disobedient male child you could conceive of. He was the type that simply had zero fear of corporeal punishments and gave no shits if you beat him or whatever and would simply do it again. He told me once that in his mind it was like a transaction, you bought doing X with whatever beating you got for doing it. Which he never minded paying so doing it again was fine and he would if he felt like it.

Because of this he always assumed his son would be similar or worse. But I was mostly the opposite as I had no desire to get my ass beat over stupid shit. Which seemed to have perplexed him.

But from time to time he'd lay me out flat on the ground with a hand to the back of the head. He never really tried to restrict my computer time even though he disapproved of it. Consummate outdoors man that he was.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
lol my mom would do the same. Worked until we went to our dads house and just got extras.

My mother did the same and I got away with finding the cable for a bit but then she learned to touch the PC to find out if it was hot or not when she got home to see if I had been using it.

• 5Worf
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 6 users

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Which of you is this?

are we supposed to know what opd is?

Here are the 2 most likely definitions I found.

ODP stands for Ouate de phoque. Translated to English, it means ''absorbent cotton of seal''. But it is pronounced the same way as ''what the fuck''. So ODP is kind of fench translation of WTF. It is cool to use 'ODP' when text messaging, instead of 'WTF'. ODP are you doing.

Open Door Pooping (pooping with the door open)
John often ODP's to better communicate with people outside the bathroom

Last edited:

Izo

Tranny Chaser
are we supposed to know what opd is?

Here are the 2 most likely definitions I found.

ODP stands for Ouate de phoque. Translated to English, it means ''absorbent cotton of seal''. But it is pronounced the same way as ''what the fuck''. So ODP is kind of fench translation of WTF. It is cool to use 'ODP' when text messaging, instead of 'WTF'. ODP are you doing.

Open Door Pooping (pooping with the door open)
John often ODP's to better communicate with people outside the bathroom
Obviously

• 1Worf
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 1 users

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Dumbass. Officially Pronounced Dead.

Duh
4AFDC563-846A-4D38-BC3B-F0875189A01A.jpeg

Organized developmental dyslexia?

• 1Worf