Marriage and the Power of Divorce

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
If only there were some kind of legal agreements that two people could enter into prior to marriage to outline what would happen in the event the marriage didn't work out.

Oh well... I guess we can all dream.

I'm less than enthused about these when these can be nullified because one party can conjure up a few tears and tell a judge they were "coerced" into it.

Also, googling that is absolutely mind boggling, and further reinforces my point that there are no benefits to be had from entering into this arrangement.

Your snark, however, is noted.

• 2Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Family judges might as well be god behind that bench, if they want to just outright ignore a prenup they can and will.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Family judges might as well be god behind that bench, if they want to just outright ignore a prenup they can and will.
I'm pretty ignorant of prenups, but isn't there a clause in them for violating them? I always figured they were enforced similar to NDAs. You don't do the thing you're not supposed to do because there a 1000 lb hammer waiting to come down on you. So even if the family court judge ignores it, you can have a clause saying she owes a bajillion dollars if she ignores it and sue her in front of a different judge.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
The very first post in this thread is about the wife of a millionaire being able to overturn a prenup. Can see why people dont trust em.

• 1Truth!

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I'm pretty ignorant of prenups, but isn't there a clause in them for violating them? I always figured they were enforced similar to NDAs. You don't do the thing you're not supposed to do because there a 1000 lb hammer waiting to come down on you. So even if the family court judge ignores it, you can have a clause saying she owes a bajillion dollars if she ignores it and sue her in front of a different judge.

Prenups certainly are not iron clad. It might hold up, it might not. Just like you might get fucked during divorce proceedings, and you might not.

Family law in the USA is pretty fucked. I mean... the idea that you can lose a house to someone who never even made a single payment on it is wild. Will it definitely happen? No. Can it happen and does it happen often? Yep. And that is fucking insane. All because two people just stopped loving each other.

• 1Truth!

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Certainly the only ironclad way to not get taken to the cleaners in a divorce is to not get married.

It is going to cause your relationship to never be as close as it could be though, because she's right - you're not really sharing a life, you're allowing her to tag along. It's not the same.

That is, however, perfectly fine, if thats what you want. You should do you and find someone that is on the same page with you otherwise you're going to fight this crying battle every time until she gets mad or you get mad.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
Well, yeah, so here's the deal. She doesn't want to leave. She wants to be here and be married. Well, I'm not interested in that, but I do enjoy her company.

There is no "cutting her loose" in this situation. Short of me outright kicking her out, she's not going to voluntarily leave this, at least not at the current time/level. She wants to get married before she's old. Well, that time is coming close, so it's about time to give up on that dream. And that's okay. I was hoping to retire early, and I've gotta give up on that dream, so shit like that happens all the time.

• 1Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Well, yeah, so here's the deal. She doesn't want to leave. She wants to be here and be married. Well, I'm not interested in that, but I do enjoy her company.

There is no "cutting her loose" in this situation. Short of me outright kicking her out, she's not going to voluntarily leave this, at least not at the current time/level. She wants to get married before she's old. Well, that time is coming close, so it's about time to give up on that dream. And that's okay. I was hoping to retire early, and I've gotta give up on that dream, so shit like that happens all the time.

Eh, this where the asshole comes in. "She's a big girl, she can make her own choices" right? That gets harder and harder as time goes on and she's willing to continue the cycle over and over hoping you'll be the one who changes your mind.

This is literally a battle of wills. You're turning it into a battle of wills. Is that worth it to you? It doesn't feel good to hurt someone you care about after you realize this isn't the kind of thing people just change their minds about.

You aren't gonna change your mind right? What makes you think she will? And how long can the two of you ignore that ticking time bomb?

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
Eh, this where the asshole comes in. "She's a big girl, she can make her own choices" right? That gets harder and harder as time goes on and she's willing to continue the cycle over and over hoping you'll be the one who changes your mind.

This is literally a battle of wills. You're turning it into a battle of wills. Is that worth it to you? It doesn't feel good to hurt someone you care about after you realize this isn't the kind of thing people just change their minds about.

You aren't gonna change your mind right? What makes you think she will? And how long can the two of you ignore that ticking time bomb?

Well, in any case, it won't end me owing her $100k and losing time with my kid!

• 1Like

Arative

Vyemm Raider
I say give her a ring, don't give her papers. Have a ceremony they she can brag about to her friends.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Been divorced for just about 4 and a half years. The GF moved in with me about 3 years ago. Now she's starting to ask about getting married and my answer is pretty simple. It's a "how does that benefit me?" And she's getting pretty upset at her lack of ability to come up with an answer.

"I just want a commitment that we can take our relationship to the next level!"

Sure, I guess. But since everyone has the right to change their mind, these commitments mean nothing. Since they mean nothing, why get the government involved in my relationship?

"If something happens to you, I am just out on my ass!"

First of all, no. The house goes to my daughter, but she ain't gonna throw you out. It's a 5 bedroom house, I'm sure there's room for both of you while you grieve, and eventually you'll move on, and she'll have what she's supposed to have.

"We are building a life together!"

No. I built my life already. I had kids already. I bought a house already. I set myself up already. You are coming into this with...what? Admittedly, excellent cooking skills, and a submissive mindset, but that's about it. Why the fuck do you think we are building a life? You had your 20s to build a life, and now you're pushing 40 and panicking because I won't put a ring on it.

This is all coming 2 weeks after my sister's relationship ended in the most hilarious way possible. They were "married", as in, they had a ceremony, but did no paperwork. My sister owns the house, he pays her. She gets a call on lunch one day from a company asking for a rental reference for her "tenant."

Tenant? You mean my husband?

She calls him immediately and gets a "oh, uhh, I was planning to stick around until I found a place." And she said "either you can call your mom, or I will."

And what's the first thing everyone told her?

"Thank God you weren't actually married"

I'm really confused why she's so upset I won't marry her in light of all of this.
Welcome to the MGTOW team. Just be aware your GF can rape your life anyways since you already let her move in.

• 1Like

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
Welcome to the MGTOW team. Just be aware your GF can rape your life anyways since you already let her move in.

Oh, I'm aware.

When I was in jail for a couple days, I met a few guys with some incredible domestic stories. One was a 60+ year old dude who wasn't married. GF came home one day, started throwing shit at him, cops got called, took him to jail, she served him with an order for protection saying he can't go to her residence.

She lives with him. In his house. And he can't go there. Can't go to the house he owns. And he can't evict her, because that would be retaliation.

I tell ya...after some of the shit I heard, it's a miracle the human race doesn't die out from men and women never interacting with each other again.

• 1WTF
  • 1Tiresome

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Oh, I'm aware.

When I was in jail for a couple days, I met a few guys with some incredible domestic stories. One was a 60+ year old dude who wasn't married. GF came home one day, started throwing shit at him, cops got called, took him to jail, she served him with an order for protection saying he can't go to her residence.

She lives with him. In his house. And he can't go there. Can't go to the house he owns. And he can't evict her, because that would be retaliation.

I tell ya...after some of the shit I heard, it's a miracle the human race doesn't die out from men and women never interacting with each other again.
As long as you are aware my work here is done.

• 1Like

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
A big streamer is going through this now. XQC is a huge streamer, makes millions a year etc. His ex girlfriend he broke up with last year is trying to claim common law marriage on him to get a pay day and it is going through the courts right now.

• 1Barf

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
A big streamer is going through this now. XQC is a huge streamer, makes millions a year etc. His ex girlfriend he broke up with last year is trying to claim common law marriage on him to get a pay day and it is going through the courts right now.

Yup. The game is fucking rigged these days. The more that shit gets exposed the sooner it will get addressed. In the meanwhile groups like MGTOW will continue to grow.

• 2Like

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>

Start dating and bringing home other girls.

If you cared about her (which I think we have established that you don't) you'd tell her to start looking for her own place.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
Start dating and bringing home other girls.

If you cared about her (which I think we have established that you don't) you'd tell her to start looking for her own place.

I think all your fudd advice in the gun thread is all I need to know about your advice here.

The future is now, old man. The world we live in is not the same as the one we got married in. The only difference is that I know what it is now, and your wife has yet to clean you out.

• 2Worf