Marriage and the Power of Divorce

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
The best was when I was taking Circuits 101 in college, and I was having a hard time with a homework assignment. I actually understood it, but the program we were using to simulate the circuit was bugging out because of some value I was using it didn't like. She decided to help me with it, so she looked at my circuit with the look of a scholar really putting together a complex math formula together in their head and went "Ok, first things first, what is this squiggly? (Resistor)"
Luckily my wife knows her limits of knowledge and doesn't try to problem solve any issues I have with my actual work-work. If I am having some interpersonal problems with coworkers I can vent to her at least.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
So at work when bored we sometimes swipe through a few of the guys' Tinder accounts.

Two trends we noticed.

1.) Everyone does the color run
2.) All the ones with kids have to say in their profile that their kid "is their world"

Do single mothers think that men they date or marry are going to ask them to put their kid up for adoption or something? We just find it odd and if we weren't at work would probably make a drinking game out of it.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Maybe I didn't explain it right. He holds his phone with his account and we go through the girls ...

We don't just steal a random dudes phone and go through it. Not the point anyways. Was just a discussion about single mothers and dating.

Tenks

Ah ok that makes more sense. I thought you were creeping on dude's Tinder profiles.

As for the others. Yeah every single mother I ever encountered on online dating (in that I read their profile -- I never went on a date with one nor would I) talks about their fucking kid all the time in the profile. I guess it makes sense because they want to weed dudes out who wouldn't be into that situation. Though I suppose since Tinder is mostly made as a hookup app not sure why they'd care that much.

And the color run makes for good pictures. The rule for online dating is you need to show yourself engaged in some form of activity with others via your pictures. Selfie shots in your bedroom by yourself are a no-go. So it makes sense.

Also white people love novelty runs

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
My buddy in LA has actually been dating a Tinder girl for a couple months. I was floored when I found out that a "lasting" relationship blossomed from that.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
My buddy in LA has actually been dating a Tinder girl for a couple months. I was floored when I found out that a "lasting" relationship blossomed from that.
Aside from girls that you knew at school or through friends before going out, how is this any different than any other way you might meet and pick up a woman?

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Aside from girls that you knew at school or through friends before going out, how is this any different than any other way you might meet and pick up a woman?
I think the mentality of why you would be on Tinder vs Match or something else is why. I have heard of and met a couple people that started dating long term from Tinder. It happens but the consensus it's for casual sex after a few conversations to weed out the psychos like you are going to figure it out from a few dozen text messages back and forth ...

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
I think the mentality of why you would be on Tinder vs Match or something else is why. I have heard of and met a couple people that started dating long term from Tinder. It happens but the consensus it's for casual sex after a few conversations to weed out the psychos like you are going to figure it out from a few dozen text messages back and forth ...
What, people can't desire casual sex and also be looking for a lasting relationship if the person turns out to be nice?

Khane

Got something right about marriage
What, people can't desire casual sex and also be looking for a lasting relationship if the person turns out to be nice?
A lot of people here think women can only fall into one of two categories:

1) Wife material
2) Tinder/Bar whore

They're wrong of course, but to many you can't do the casual thing if you want to be serious and find something meaningful. Gotta be full bore at all times.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
A lot of people here think women can only fall into one of two categories:

1) Wife material
2) Tinder/Bar whore

They're wrong of course, but to many you can't do the casual thing if you want to be serious and find something meaningful. Gotta be full bore at all times.
Sure they can, it is 2015, but there is a stigma associated with that method and you can't just pretend it isn't there by acting incredulous on a forum.

Khane

Sure they can, it is 2015, but there is a stigma associated with that method and you can't just pretend it isn't there by acting incredulous on a forum.
There is certainly a social stigma, which is irrelevant to me but there are others here who seem beholden to it.

Tenks

There is still a social stigma to meeting anyone online. I have no idea why. I knew the girls way better on my first date via online dating than I ever did with women I met "in real life."

Khane

There is still a social stigma to meeting anyone online. I have no idea why. I knew the girls way better on my first date via online dating than I ever did with women I met "in real life."
I don't actually see the stigma there anymore but it could be because of where I live. Different parts of the country probably view it very differently.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
There is certainly a social stigma, which is irrelevant to me but there are others here who seem beholden to it.
I think there is something to say about "declaring for a team" where you make a stance about, I am now looking for marriage versus I am looking for casual sex where she only has my first name via an app.

Can you fall in love and make a relationship work based on an initial contact through casual sex? For sure.
Is it the norm and are you statistically going to make this amazing connection? Probably not.

It's all about what your goal is going into it where the stigma lies. People don't look down on a person because they started it off with casual sex, they look down on it because the entire goal for both people going into it was ensuring that it was casual so that both could bail but things changed. A lot of people see something like that and think that sure they got closer than casual sex now but are they really going to last at all when that was how they started? It's about the intent not the action.

Khane

I think there is something to say about "declaring for a team" where you make a stance about, I am now looking for marriage versus I am looking for casual sex where she only has my first name via an app.

Can you fall in love and make a relationship work based on an initial contact through casual sex? For sure.
Is it the norm and are you statistically going to make this amazing connection? Probably not.

It's all about what your goal is going into it where the stigma lies. People don't look down on a person because they started it off with casual sex, they look down on it because the entire goal for both people going into it was ensuring that it was casual so that both could bail but things changed. A lot of people see something like that and think that sure they got closer than casual sex now but are they really going to last at all when that was how they started? It's about the intent not the action.
I think people have a lot of ridiculous, arbitrary rules regarding what can and can't work when it comes to relationships based on nothing more than social forces.

I agree with your statement I just think it's old hat.