Marriage and the Power of Divorce

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
That story about an old eharmony membership made me panic for a sec. I checked an old email account and I was still signed up for plentyoffish from like 10 years ago. I don't even remember if it uses your real name or not.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
I just say " can't send dick pics through tinder", works every time.

Tenks, a 3 exchange maximum is pretty damn short, unless you are writing paragraphs each time.

Khane

Got something right about marriage

Tenks, a 3 exchange maximum is pretty damn short, unless you are writing paragraphs each time.
I follow the same rule, even on pay sites. Message exchanging back and forth is a waste of time in my opinion and not only that but you run the risk of covering most of the good first date topics of conversation before you've even met the person.

I very rarely get the "I'd rather get to know each other a little better first" and when I do I cut it off like Tenks did. Mostly because it's ridiculous to pretend you can get to know someone after 10 messages back and forth rather than 3 and if she actually believes that I already have no patience for her.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm

3 exchange both ways. So it is like me, her, me, her, me (ask for date.) It isn't really that quick. My message limit was a complex algorithm where the floor was 3 sentence and could grow from there based upon the length of the previous email sent length. Usually I never found the: "Sup" / "Not much, whats up with you" / "Nothing" / "Okay" really went anywhere anyways. I'm also talking about traditional email-like dating sites not Tinder which is more like SMS.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
3 exchange both ways. So it is like me, her, me, her, me (ask for date.) It isn't really that quick. My message limit was a complex algorithm where the floor was 3 sentence and could grow from there based upon the length of the previous email sent length. Usually I never found the: "Sup" / "Not much, whats up with you" / "Nothing" / "Okay" really went anywhere anyways. I'm also talking about traditional email-like dating sites not Tinder which is more like SMS.
To qualify, mine were SMS messages and the counts were totals, not just mine. So applying your methodology, I exchanged numbers after sending ~12 one-line messages. Still on the slow side.

My guess is after 5-8 SMS messages sent, if she's still engaging it is digits time.

Tenks

The theory is basically that since she replied to your message you've already met some form of minimum requirement. You don't NEED to qualify yourself that much further. Say a few interesting things and then just go for it. Girls get a ton more action on dating sites than men so if you're acting like you just want a chat buddy she'll just put you in an almost friend-zone category and move on because someone with a thicker dick is already hitting her up.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
I try to get stupid first date questions out of the way online so they can't see my roll my eyes.

Tenks

I try to get stupid first date questions out of the way online so they can't see my roll my eyes.
Yeah Portland dating may be different.

"Do you shave your armpits?"

"Tell me exactly which grunge band is your favorite?"

"Would you describe your gauges as large, extra large or enormous?"

Tenks

I don't think Portland is really as hipster in the sense that most people think of hipster. It seems this entirely uniquely weird place which is stuck in the 90's Seattle universe. Granted they still love their farm to table and all the other typical hipster bullshit but it isn't quite as tight jeans and oversized beanies as say San Francisco.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
California is trying it's hardest to move here and make it suck like SF though. There is an increasing number of pointy shoe, well groomed facial hair douche bags showing up and bars with 15 dollar "hand crafted" cocktails.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
California is trying it's hardest to move here and make it suck like SF though. There is an increasing number of pointy shoe, well groomed facial hair douche bags showing up and bars with 15 dollar "hand crafted" cocktails.
Short pants with no socks and dress shoes type? Optionally a stupid looking waxed moustache? We have a few of those even invading Dallas, they need to be burned with fire.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
It's my understanding the Portland is way more hipster than here. Tech br0s are the main demographic here.

And I love a good cocktail and unfortunately sometimes you do gotta pay 12-15 dollars for one.

Tenks

It's my understanding the Portland is way more hipster than here. Tech br0s are the main demographic here.

And I love a good cocktail and unfortunately sometimes you do gotta pay 12-15 dollars for one.
I think it depends on how you classify your hipster. Portland is much weirder and more unique than SF for sure. But I consider SF to be more pretentious, try hard and disingenuous. Now Portland may be getting more white washed since like Fifey said a ton of California people have moved there. From what I understand Denver is now the hot spot for California people, though.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
I think it depends on how you classify your hipster. Portland is much weirder and more unique than SF for sure. But I consider SF to be more pretentious, try hard and disingenuous. Now Portland may be getting more white washed since like Fifey said a ton of California people have moved there. From what I understand Denver is now the hot spot for California people, though.
Californians are AIDS to housing markets. Since their own is so inflated, they cash out and spread that AIDSflation en masse to new markets. See: Denver, Austin, Portland, and whatever the next "up and coming" city is.

California housing can feel free to die in a very pretentious fire.

Tenks

Californians are AIDS to housing markets. Since their own is so inflated, they cash out and spread that AIDSflation en masse to new markets. See: Denver, Austin, Portland, and whatever the next "up and coming" city is.

California housing can feel free to die in a very pretentious fire.
Yep thats basically what happens to those cities. Californians cash out on their house which is 50% more expensive than anywhere else and can afford to pay top dollar wherever they go thus driving the market up in those regions making people who have lived there their whole lives unable to afford housing at a reasonable rate. I also hear it is pretty common for people to retire in California and then move elsewhere and Oregon in general is an attractive destination.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Well if you invest half a million dollars into a 2BR 1BA home you hope you get enough ROI to buy some dope ass spot in a more shitty place.

And yeah, CO is definitely getting California'ed. It's attractive for a lot of reasons. Cheaper. Agreeable weather. Outdoorsy shit in close proximity. Extreme political affiliations between urban and rural areas with the urban areas almost always winning out. Too bad Denver is kind of a lame city.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Well if you invest half a million dollars into a 2BR 1BA home you hope you get enough ROI to buy some dope ass spot in a more shitty place.

And yeah, CO is definitely getting California'ed. It's attractive for a lot of reasons. Cheaper. Agreeable weather. Outdoorsy shit in close proximity. Extreme political affiliations between urban and rural areas with the urban areas almost always winning out. Too bad Denver is kind of a lame city.
Typing this in Denver...

CO has had a high influx of CA emigrants for the past 30 years. It is still a fairly active tech hub, and yes there is pretty much any type of activity in the state. Mountains, deserts, plains, big cities, small cities, liberal enclaves, conservative enclaves, etc.

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
HELP...I think I may have been asked on a date tonight...casual, through a text. I have NO desire whatsoever to date anyone - it hasn't even been 2 months since I lost G and I still consider myself married (weird I know but it is how I feel).

I am not certain what to think. It is a guy I have known since grade school and through high school - we've seen each other socially over the past couple of years at parties in groups (reunions and birthday parties and whatnot). He texted me after G passed to say he was sorry for my loss, small talk about football blah blah.

He texted me tonight to see if I wanted to grab some dinner; fortunately I was already home and it was a long day with an early morning for me tomorrow so I could politely decline.

How the fuck do I interpret that?

I mean, I have girl friends who ask me out all the time - for support get me out of my head get me out of my house - we tried the new brew pub (good green chile beer, good rye, crappy maple - spit it out...) and I think nothing of it....am grateful for their love and the opportunity to not cry for a bit and to give my family a break from me......but a guy - and not in a group? That's a date? Yes/No? Seriously what do you guys think?
I am seriously weirded out.