Marriage and the Power of Divorce

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
In all honesty, someone in today's day and age raised in a Western society who would actually stoop so low as to get a mail order bride is likely a sad, pathetic individual who has some serious issues.
So is that a no on the small amount of money I was going to ask to borrow?

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
Well, after two years me and my girlfriend are parting ways. We were saving to buy a house together and lease was up in Match and we were going to move into her parent's in the burbs. I had been losing interest slowly the last 6 months but the thought of living in her parents house made me realize it wasn't worth it. We had a talk about it two weeks ago and ended it with what I felt was very mutual understanding and no resentment.

Got my new place lined up already and moving in Valentines day weekend like the true romantic that I am. Not sure what I'm going to do now that I'm back to being single....probably just a bunch of playing Everquest in my boxers for 10 hour sessions.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I've seen so many guys who are generally some combo of dorky/awkward/unattractive/out of shape etc, end up punching above their weight (looks wise) with Russian girls. Not mail order brides, girls here on work visas or whatever. Inevitably (totally anecdotal of course) the girl gets the ring, often gets a degree on his dime, ends up with a job, better life...which leads to social life, vehicle, greater status. Once she's gotten all that and usually has a kid with the guy to further anchor her status and his paycheck, the infidelities start coming. Then of course the divorce or drawn out shit marriage and misery.

Moral of the story, I say go for it and post your story as it unfolds here for us to read.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
What did he say?

JJ6vgIZ.gif

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
He didn't edit it out. That's still the message there. I think Noodle was being sarcastic.

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
So I'm sure this has been discussed before but who handles the finances in your households?

I won't say I rule our finances with an iron fist but I do handle all of our finances. I'm the CPA so I'm expected to be good with money I guess and I'm fine with that. I make sure we both got paid on time and handle all of the bills. I'm very open with my wife about our finances though. I'll keep her in the loop when things get paid and where our savings are at. We're pretty open with each other if we're spending money. It helps that we both make solid money. I'm a CPA and she's a Registered Nurse and with no kids we do alright. It's not a big deal either way but I do make about 15 to 20K more than her a year.

When we were dating and she moved in she handed all of that stuff off to me. She had some ugly credit card debts at that time so I helped her with a budget to get all of that paid off. She wasn't as bad off as some people but still owed a few thousand bucks. It took her a few months but we got all of it cleared and nothing came out of my pocket. When she moved in she helped with the bills a bit but I didn't charge her rent or do anything formal like that. I bought the house before we started dating so everything was in my name. She just tossed me a couple hundred bucks every month to cover her share of utilities and stuff. It wasn't really a big deal because by the time she moved in it was pretty apparent that we were going to get married at some point.

My cousin was in a bad situation though. He got married before he should have and his wife nearly cleaned him out. She handled all of their finances and spent like crazy on stupid shit. We all think she was having an affair to make matters worse but nobody could prove anything. He was about to dump her and get a divorce when she, magically, got pregnant. The kid is definitely his but that complicated things a lot. Since then he's shut her down and controls their finances completely. Her parents died and left them a bit of money so he figures that was enough to pay him back. He's really sentimental though. I'd have dumped her ass and moved on if that happened to me. But my wife and I took that as a good object lesson so we're pretty open about our finances with each other.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I handle everything. I make 90% of the money, so I monitor my paydays and general finances, I pay all the bills, etc. I do it mostly because if she pays the bills she usually prefers 1) they be done via check through the mail like we live in 1940's, and 2) if done online she wants to print the confirmation THAT GETS EMAILED TO YOU ANYWAYS. Fuck that, we don't need more paper in the house. Save a tree bitch.

It's less hassle if I do it.