Marriage and the Power of Divorce

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
she won't give a shit about the size or price; the only thing she'll care about is that it's not a conflict/blood or whatever diamond.

Get a lab-grown stone. My wife's engagement ring was alexandrite and not diamond (changes colors depending on the light, she's a physics nerd). I got a much bigger, cleaner stone than is available from mines and it cost $100 vs $40,000 for 1 carat. Similar savings are available for diamonds.

Anyone who insists that you get a natural stone is actually saying they care about how much money you're spending. Manufactured gems are categorically superior to natural ones.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I want to get a real stone, even if it's small. She doesn't care, but family/friends/society have a perception of lab grown being "fake," and I don't want her to have to deal with that.

I was looking into doing an emerald (her birthstone) instead of a diamond, but I've read that they are too fragile for use in a ring that will be worn most of the time.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
family/friends/society have a perception of lab grown being "fake," and I don't want her to have to deal with that.

So don't tell anyone. Are they going to ask to see the receipt or something?

Appeasing the biases of people who aren't directly involved is about the worst reason I can think of to spend a bunch of money, never mind willingly participating in an industry that is basically a giant marketing scam. (Natural diamonds are actually quite common and should be close to free if it weren't for DeBeers hoarding them in giant warehouses to prop the market up.)

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I know all that. If I were making logical choices I wouldn't get married at all.

• 5Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 5 users

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
My wife specifically wanted a green sapphire, which was perfectly ok with me. I didn't even know there were green sapphires before she told me it was her favorite stone. I don't know if any Africans died mining this stone. This is the ring. Good luck and condolences, McCheese.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kalaar kururuc

Grumpy old man
I bought my wife a moissanite stone, my wife had similar concerns to your future spouse, , ie diamonds are pretty unethical. No way you can tell it isn't diamond, unless you're a jeweller. It's not like diamonds are special, they're not that rare, and they're only expensive because the DeBeers of this world drip feed their warehouses full to artificially inflate the market. We got it on a palladium band (the stuff they use to make white gold), which was more expensive than gold but it is still nigh on perfect after 10 years, something you wouldn't be able to say for a yellow gold band, although if you want a yellow gold band then a silver metal isn't much use :)

We bought it from these guys: MoissaniteCo: Moissanite Jewelry Shop and I was a little edgy spending so much on a company over the internet, but the service was great.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
The sooner dudes stop spending money on diamonds the better this world will be.

• 8Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 8 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Bros will stop buying diamonds when women stop caring about having them.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
The one I bought cost $985 for the whole thing and she even picked it out! I was pleased with this.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
I'm going to be buying an engagement ring soon. I know she won't give a shit about the size or price; the only thing she'll care about is that it's not a conflict/blood or whatever diamond. As I'm reading around online I keep seeing things about how you can't really be sure about origin. I've seen some stuff about Canadian diamonds as a more guaranteed source of ethically(ish) sourced diamonds. Any experience with buying Canadian diamonds and making sure what you're getting is actually a Canadian diamond?

With the way the diamond market works it is literally impossible to know if you are buying a blood diamond or not.

Philly D talking about these videos... (and yes I know the videos are gone, the diamond industry sued the dude into oblivion)

So either buy one and don't give a shit OR...look to another precious stone. Depending on the stone you can basically get something that is better looking at a good "Discount". A discount here IS NOT "Cheap" it's a discount from the main price to a sub price but precious stones generally hold their worth more-so than diamonds.

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
OH....or you can get:

burn that shit down and get one of the rings:

People can't even tell when she wears one versus her real one. I bet most people here can't even tell which ones are real in these photos.

---

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users