Marvel Universe stuff

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Was kind of a sad experience, looked like a slave to some handlers running it.
We had a pic done with him today as a family. We also went to his session. He showed up late, it was cut to 45 minutes, and the idiot Mayor of Kansas City decided he wanted to take 10 minutes of that time instead of letting Stan speak. You could tell by his comments, that after about 15 questions, he wanted it to end. He's not in great shape at all. People asked him about this storyline, or that one, and he couldn't remember any Marvel storyline other than origins. Alzheimer's is a bitch.

For our picture with him, they literally ran 10,000 people through today, $100 at a time. He did come off as a slave to his handlers, who warned us to not shake his hand, talk to him, or hug him. Apparently, this is against his will. Spiderman is his favorite character. My five year old had a Spiderman costume on. He tried to talk to my son, but his handlers were pushing us so they could keep his money rate up. Oh, and he had to take breaks, because his health isn't so good. I told him thank you, and got out of there. He made a comment in his session about needing the money from the comic cons, because Marvel screwed him out of his pay. So I didn't want to take money away from him, and they were literally bringing in $100 every 15 seconds.

It was nice, since I've been reading his comics for decades. But it was also sad to see him treated this way. And it was also sad because they were saying that he's not doing cons for much longer. A couple flew up from Orlando just to get an autograph before he passed. They said something like there are no more available autograph signings with him for the rest of the year.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
We had a pic done with him today as a family. We also went to his session. He showed up late, it was cut to 45 minutes, and the idiot Mayor of Kansas City decided he wanted to take 10 minutes of that time instead of letting Stan speak. You could tell by his comments, that after about 15 questions, he wanted it to end. He's not in great shape at all. People asked him about this storyline, or that one, and he couldn't remember any Marvel storyline other than origins. Alzheimer's is a bitch.

For our picture with him, they literally ran 10,000 people through today, $100 at a time. He did come off as a slave to his handlers, who warned us to not shake his hand, talk to him, or hug him. Apparently, this is against his will. Spiderman is his favorite character. My five year old had a Spiderman costume on. He tried to talk to my son, but his handlers were pushing us so they could keep his money rate up. Oh, and he had to take breaks, because his health isn't so good. I told him thank you, and got out of there. He made a comment in his session about needing the money from the comic cons, because Marvel screwed him out of his pay. So I didn't want to take money away from him, and they were literally bringing in $100 every 15 seconds.

It was nice, since I've been reading his comics for decades. But it was also sad to see him treated this way. And it was also sad because they were saying that he's not doing cons for much longer. A couple flew up from Orlando just to get an autograph before he passed. They said something like there are no more available autograph signings with him for the rest of the year.
That's really sad. :/

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
As much as I like his work, I don't think I would want any autograph tainted by that type of situation. Granted, I don't really care about autographs from celebrities in the first place, but especially so if that's the rigmarole involved for the person in question. Sad =\

Saw Civil War again; I would have to say it's neck and neck with Avengers for best out of the bunch, with Winter Soldier and Guardians just below.

Vlett

Lord Nagafen Raider
Fox will finally allow a merge of universes for Onslaught, which will also lead into heroes reborn!

Sorry for the early 90s flashback.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>

That's one of the many reasons I don't go. It's far too commercial. I have friends who cosplay there and a number of friends who run booths every year, and I just can't be assed to go down there and fight with crowds and parking. And then on top of all that, to pay high fees to meet people like Stan Lee and get an autograph? I love my friends and I try not to be negative around them...I don't want to be a wet blanket on their nerdness...but fuck that noise. That shit is just fucking retarded.

My best friend is a gargantuan Star Trek nerd. As in, he saw the episode of Adam Savage building a captain's chair and now he wants me to help him build one of his own. But he has told me stories of dealing with similar shit, only with a Star Trek flavor, and it sounds pretty damned similar. Pay a fuckton of money to stand in line to get an autograph and/or a picture with someone, but you are forbidden from taking any pictures while you stand in line potentially for hours?

This shit will never change as long as people still willingly throw money at them for this stuff.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
I have gone to the KC Comicon for the three years I've lived here and it's the only convention I've been to. I'm normally extremely introverted but for some reason I love the comicon atmosphere. Yea the whole celebrity thing is kinda the worst part of it, some of the panels / presentations can be OK but that really depends on the guest. I went to the Star Trek: TNG cast panel 3 years ago and it was absolutely worth it for me (was only like $40 too compared to some of the other costs), but was never going to pay for a photo or autograph no matter how much I like X actor.

I mainly go for the vendors and the people. Lots of really cool art and things I can't easily find and I actually talked to 4 local artists this year and got their cards so I can get custom work or just follow up on stuff I liked but didn't grab at the time. Something like Dragoncon would be way worse I have to imagine, I live in KC so I knew where to park about 3 blocks away, knew to get there a couple hours after opening so lines weren't bad, and just avoided the guest area entirely so pretty much got exactly what I wanted from it. Plus an excuse to dress up :p

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
That's one of the many reasons I don't go. It's far too commercial. I have friends who cosplay there and a number of friends who run booths every year, and I just can't be assed to go down there and fight with crowds and parking. And then on top of all that, to pay high fees to meet people like Stan Lee and get an autograph? I love my friends and I try not to be negative around them...I don't want to be a wet blanket on their nerdness...but fuck that noise. That shit is just fucking retarded.
All I have left in life is to do something different and take pictures. I've already accomplished what I want income wise. To me, having a framed picture with Stan Lee in my mancave is priceless. My kids and their kids will remember this long after I've left this mortal coil. Everytime they see a Marvel character, they'll be reminded about that crazy weekend with like 50,000 nerds, where we stood in line for hours waiting on our time to spend 30 seconds with him. And it was funny to see the kids reactions to people's costumes.

We got something signed by Lou Ferrigno and Manu Bennett also. Those also go in the mancave. I got a poster signed by Manu of him as Crixus titled, "Shall We Begin?". I also chatted with him awhile, what a nice guy. These memories are priceless, and it's of stuff that I enjoyed a lot. It was just Stan looked like he wasn't into it, and he even complained during the panel at least three times that he wished wasn't in the panel. His body is failing on him, he's 94, and I don't begrudge him for it.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, I've been going to local cons as a fan rather than a collector. A lot less stressful and more fun, enjoy getting a handful of prints and eventually will get a commission done if I can ever manage to get one scheduled.

Vlett

Lord Nagafen Raider
We've started making plans to hit up SDCC for 2017. We got the bug too late to be reasonable this year. Could easily spend a month in Europe for the same cost as a last minute trip for 2 to comic con.

I wish we had gone in college when friends lived out there.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I know we've had this one before, but I was having a discussion the other day about Captain Marvel casting, and it was kind of depressing.

Blunt is still my #1 draft pick from day one, but if it isn't her my (and Gavin's and multiple others) next pick is Katheryn Winnick.

rrr_img_134632.jpg

She actually looks even more the part than Blunt, and does martial arts and shit, which would be great for Carol Danvers. So I'd be completely happy if she were chosen. However, I had no idea that she's currently 38 years old (even though she certainly doesn't look it). By the time the movie comes out she'd be almost 41, and if they did a trilogy she could be up to 47 by the end of it, even older if she's an integral part of the MCU going forward. In Hollywood terms, that's too damn old for everyone but a handful of actresses (Charlize Theron for example, but she's probably too old for this role as well). Chances are they won't go with someone as old as her then, which sucks fucking donkey dicks because that kills 50% of the choices I'd be happy with.

If they even entertain Rousey I will straight up murder someone, so don't get me started there. One of my coworkers thinks she'd be great, and I have to resist the urge to strangle him constantly.

I know a lot like Yvonne Strahovski, and I think she's great too, but I don't really like her for this role. She's a good age though (33, to Blunt's 32) so she's at least plausible on that front.

Alicia Vikander would probably be an awesome choice, but I don't see her getting the role at the same time she's the face of Tomb Raider. So she's likely out.

I'm sure there are ton of lesser known actresses that I'm not thinking of too, and Marvel has always done a great job of casting so if they are out there I'm sure they'll find them, but if it isn't Blunt I'm going to be sort of bummed that it probably can't be Winnick. So I looked around for some others, and the next best choice I could find that would fit the age requirement is Georgina Haig (almost 31). I'm not sure how much physical work she's done, but she's not a bad actress from the few things I've seen, and she looks the part, so I guess I'll make her my #3 until someone reminds me of a better choice.

rrr_img_134633.jpg

Devlin

Golden Squire
I think I'm the next choice in line to play Carol Danvers after Rousey.

A lot of the women you named are mainly known for TV work, they're never going to give a major character like that to a TV actress.

Blunt works for me, the sooner all superheroes are played by British/English actors the better.

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
If they gave the role of Thor to an Australian soap opera star and the lead of GotG to the pudgy dopey guy from Parks & Recreation, I don't think Marvel would rule out tapping a television actress if she fit the role.

insider news is fox is talking to Marvel now about FF.
Fantastic Four has never really been a favorite of mine. Perhaps it's because I haven't kept up with the comics, but the concept of the characters just never really seemed to age as well as a lot of the others. But, if Marvel gets the property back, I'd be really eager to see how they could win me over.

However, if they do, I hope they hold it off until the next phase rather than shuffling everything around like they did with Spider-Man.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
All I would want from marvel getting ff4 is the after credit trailer of infinity war 2 to just have doom watching from a monitor in his castle setting up the next bulk of phases

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
I have gone to the KC Comicon for the three years I've lived here and it's the only convention I've been to. I'm normally extremely introverted but for some reason I love the comicon atmosphere. Yea the whole celebrity thing is kinda the worst part of it, some of the panels / presentations can be OK but that really depends on the guest. I went to the Star Trek: TNG cast panel 3 years ago and it was absolutely worth it for me (was only like $40 too compared to some of the other costs), but was never going to pay for a photo or autograph no matter how much I like X actor.
You had to pay for a panel? Regarding family pics, it's kind of fun. We just got our framed ones back from the last one. I believe we are headed to Dallas Comic Con next weekend. We've bought pictures with Shatner, Dr Who, Joffrey and Jon Bernthal.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
If they gave the role of Thor to an Australian soap opera star and the lead of GotG to the pudgy dopey guy from Parks & Recreation, I don't think Marvel would rule out tapping a television actress if she fit the role.

Fantastic Four has never really been a favorite of mine. Perhaps it's because I haven't kept up with the comics, but the concept of the characters just never really seemed to age as well as a lot of the others. But, if Marvel gets the property back, I'd be really eager to see how they could win me over.

However, if they do, I hope they hold it off until the next phase rather than shuffling everything around like they did with Spider-Man.
They should just pass and either let Fox lose money making more FF movies or wait the two years to get it back. They have years before they could really integrate the Fantastic Four in a way that doesn't feel like they shoehorned them in.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
They should just pass and either let Fox lose money making more FF movies or wait the two years to get it back. They have years before they could really integrate the Fantastic Four in a way that doesn't feel like they shoehorned them in.
And continually doing more and more damage to the IP along the way?

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
And continually doing more and more damage to the IP along the way?
That shit is wrecked anyway, even in the comics. The only thing that is going to save FF right now is for Marvel to get complete control, make a movie, and hope like hell the MCU faithful go to see it. Unless they are willing to bump more movies off of their slate, we wouldn't see a FF movie for at least 4-5 years from Marvel anyway. They can plan and shit behind the scenes til then, like they did with Spidey. The difference between Sony and Fox is that Sony was still making money with Spiderman. Also the fact that Fox probably won't ever give up the X-Men to Marvel makes it even more unlikely that they'll work a deal for FF.

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yeah, FOX certainly isn't coming to the table with the sort of bargaining power Sony had. Despite their most recent Spider-Man movies not doing as well as they wanted, they didreasonablewell. Fantfourstick left a $100 million hole in the ground. If Marvel does meet with FOX, it should only be for Feige to punch them in the face for devaluing FF as much as they have. Though, perhaps FOX threatening to reboot FF yet again would be enough to get Marvel to give in. Even then, Marvel would have to let the stink wear off it some before they attempted to get people to see their version.

filandiel

Golden Knight of the Realm
Honestly marvel wouldn't need to even do a ff movie, they could introduce them like spidey in civil war, in the infinity war movie, no backstory, hey we were off planet/dimension during avengers 1, and sokovia isn't exactly local. You could make Doctor strange the go between for the groups, and start the illuminati. And I second the idea of a doom post credits scene, and it would be badass to use silver surfer as the warning for thanos.