Marvel Universe stuff

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Continuity doesn't matter when you have two movies about the Infinity Gauntlet coming up. Certainly an opportunity for cameos or introductions from different realities, not really expecting any though.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
It's not happening anytime soon. Which will make some writers/bloggers happy as they will be able to lazy out plenty of clickbait articles about maybe's and rumors for the foreseeable future.

The franchise has to all but tank before Fox would be humbled enough to ask Marvel for help with it. If you want to see that happen, you can do your part by not going to the theaters to watch them when they're released. Until that starts happening to a significant degree, the X's are going nowhere.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
No it really isn't a matter of opinion. The X-men franchise is complete shit right now. They could just ignore the Fox X-men universe completely and introduce them properly.
It's just great that you don't know what the word opinion means, but please stop spreading your ignorance around.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
No it really isn't a matter of opinion. The X-men franchise is complete shit right now. They could just ignore the Fox X-men universe completely and introduce them properly.
I know I'm done with Xmen.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Xmen is shit, except for Hugh Jackman, cuz well he's the only person to play a superhero for over 15 years, in fact he's played Wolverine so long, he could just say fuck it and play Old Man Logan, and i wouldn't be mad.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
So will Marvel do a hard reboot on the universe in 5-10-15 years or will they trickle in reboots/reimagine stuff constantly?

I feel like at some point without the core heroes it'll get kinda blah while the story lines get more and more outlandish.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
So will Marvel do a hard reboot on the universe in 5-10-15 years or will they trickle in reboots/reimagine stuff constantly?

I feel like at some point without the core heroes it'll get kinda blah while the story lines get more and more outlandish.
They are hitting the reboot switch as soon as Jackman is 100% out.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Marvel, not Fox.

and no, I doubt they'll do a hard reboot, Disney will just milk the genre til they think there's nothing more to squeeze out of it and then forget the Marvel IPs exist.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I seriously doubt they will ever do a reboot of the MCU (well I mean in our lifetime anyway, anything is possible given enough time) because they have built so much history it makes no sense to abandon it all. They will just move on to new heroes. I don't think any of us really could have predicted all the characters that have had success so far, and there are literally hundreds of other potential stars they can choose from, so there is no reason to reboot existing ones. And with obvious transitions like Falcon/Winter Soldier perhaps taking over for Cap, that's even less reason to reboot.

And if they did happen to get something like the X-Men, they'd either use an Infinity War type event to fold them in, or they'd just act like they had been there all along, like Spider-Man.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Yeah they're in a position to avoid for quite a while one of the running criticisms of some of the existing franchises, too much rebooting, by not rebooting at all and giving the MCU a real sense of history.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Movie / TV format would also be a good way to handle the whole passing of the mantle thing that comics, to me, get caught up in. Having Peter Parker or anyone else be basically the same age and character for 60 years then rebooting the origins of the same guy or girl again and again. It would almost be Who'vian in how they progress and how a new Iron Man could be different than Tony Stark. Continuity would be hilarious 50 years out trying to juggle all the different versions and who or what The Third IM did to the Second Wolverine while The Fourth Doctor Doom was being evil. Ugh, maybe this is a bad idea. Hah.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
It was said at one point that they'd treat the marquee heroes like Bond, and just swap in a new actor at some point when the current actor is done.

Fox I think will go w/ X-23 for a bit before recasting a new Wolverine, if they do it anytime soon.

Kind of expecting them to refocus on Deadpool / Cable / X-Force and slow down the more expensive X-Men movies for a bit, but that's not based on anything I've read.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
Movie / TV format would also be a good way to handle the whole passing of the mantle thing that comics, to me, get caught up in. Having Peter Parker or anyone else be basically the same age and character for 60 years then rebooting the origins of the same guy or girl again and again. It would almost be Who'vian in how they progress and how a new Iron Man could be different than Tony Stark. Continuity would be hilarious 50 years out trying to juggle all the different versions and who or what The Third IM did to the Second Wolverine while The Fourth Doctor Doom was being evil. Ugh, maybe this is a bad idea. Hah.
Well they can pull a 1995 Tony stark and make him a RADICAL TEENAGER DUDE!

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
15-Year-Old Black Girl Replaces Tony Stark as Iron Man - GameSpot

3090843-imvim2015_promo.jpg

Ok then. Gonna need a bigger helmet.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
I'm sure glad their MCU crew is separate from this comics crew, cause these idiots have caught themselves in a shark-jumping loop or something. And it seems like the shark is a gender-queer trans-catfish.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm sure glad their MCU crew is separate from this comics crew, cause these idiots have caught themselves in a shark-jumping loop or something. And it seems like the shark is a gender-queer trans-catfish.
I'm Black, and I don't agree with turning these characters into minorities. Marvel and DC were racist for so long, they flat out did their best to limit minority superheroes. I remember reading the Editor's Box for X-Men 30 years ago, where they tried to say that Storm wasn't Black, because her pupils turned white. No, I'm not kidding, she got so popular and they freaked out.

How about we create new characters instead? I've always thought the last guy they'd make a minority/female would be Iron Man.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I'm Black, and I don't agree with turning these characters into minorities. Marvel and DC were racist for so long, they flat out did their best to limit minority superheroes. I remember reading the Editor's Box for X-Men 30 years ago, where they tried to say that Storm wasn't Black, because her pupils turned white. No, I'm not kidding, she got so popular and they freaked out.

How about we create new characters instead? I've always thought the last guy they'd make a minority/female would be Iron Man.
I would love them to hire black writers and have them create new characters instead of this hamfisted diversity bullshit. You telling me there isn't room for new characters?

Also, I am bad for laughing at this.

sIxJpvc.png

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider

That's why I've never gotten how these sorts of things are lauded as being big, progressive moves. I get that minorities have a long history of being underrepresented in comic books, but this seems like the laziest way possible of addressing that. They're not really creating new characters. They're just pasting them over heroes who have decades of established history. They're just version 2.0. They don't get their own powers; they just get what their predecessors have. And, so much of their backstory revolves around the (often convoluted) way they ended up becoming a replacement. I mean, this new character is supposed to be as smart or smarter than Tony Stark, but apparently not smart enough to create her own identity?

I also realize it's extremely difficult establishing a new character and have it be successful, but this just takes a lot of the legwork that's necessary to make them as popular as the characters they are filling in for. Not to mention, part of me can't help but wonder if the reason they keep doing this is because it creates controversy which, in turn, gives them free publicity and attention.