Marvel Universe stuff

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
That's why I've never gotten how these sorts of things are lauded as being big, progressive moves. I get that minorities have a long history of being underrepresented in comic books, but this seems like the laziest way possible of addressing that. They're not really creating new characters. They're just pasting them over heroes who have decades of established history.
On the flip side is that they make minority characters way more powerful than everyone else, to make people interested in them. Like Gravity, for instance, who they made to be a gay character that eventually has enough power to sustain Galactus all by himself.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm waiting for them to turn Black Panther into a White guy, and Luke Cage into a Jew that yells "Sweet Hanukah!".

Seriously, WTF?

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
White (and I guess Jew? Are there any?) comic characters have power and privilege. That will never happen. We're only allowed to gut the white cast and "diversify" it. Never the other way around.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
There is an OK way to do character swaps like that, and maybe they're doing it with Iron Man as it's one of the best potentials for it, of actually passing the mantle to a new person. Tony wants to retire, gets killed, do other shit, whatever... Keep the Iron Man legacy going with a new talent, but have that new person be their own thing as well. They've done that with Captain America like... a dozen times now, or something, right? Without any such outcry. I get going from Rogers to Bucky is more natural due to history, but that's not the only way those things can happen.

That all being said, I'm sure they'll do this horribly like they've done a bunch of other stuff horribly over the past couple years. I'm just saying it COULD be done well.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
That all being said, I'm sure they'll do this horribly like they've done a bunch of other stuff horribly over the past couple years. I'm just saying it COULD be done well.
They lost me when they turned Blade into a teenage girl, and the first issue was supposed to be of her celebrating her sweet 16th birthday. Marvel is trolling us at this point.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
I guess they are betting on the fact that 80% of their consumer base (white men) will just continue to buy anything no matter what. It's not what they are doing, its how they are doing it, all of a sudden everybody is different. But over there on the X men, the whole point of which is to be diverse and a meta commentary of inclusivity in the world. They are producing some junk.

Noah

Molten Core Raider
replace the hulk with a raging feminist who hulks out at body shaming, and their journey to the dark side shall be complete

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
They lost me when they turned Blade into a teenage girl, and the first issue was supposed to be of her celebrating her sweet 16th birthday. Marvel is trolling us at this point.
Jesus Christ. So being a black male already wasn't even good enough for them? And Blade was one of the best characters, regardless of color, because he was so bad ass.

Do they really think a wave of young girls are going to start collecting Blade comics all of a sudden because she's a girl?

Thank God I don't collect comics any more. Fuck.

fris

Vyemm Raider
I don't get the rage
No, it's not Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and this 16-year-old isn't the "chosen one," but she does have something else going for her: she's the daughter of the original Blade, aka Eric Brooks, meaning that she carries his blood and unique abilities.
so basically an x23 run?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
replace the hulk with a raging feminist who hulks out at body shaming, and their journey to the dark side shall be complete
You didn't know? Hulk is now a nerdy korean kid.

And it is really horrible, from the pov of an asian kid, i cannot read this series, it's really bad.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, I wasn't really following Iron Man, but now they've totally lost me even with Bendis writing it. I never liked Captain America...Thor, Hulk, and now Iron Man are off my radar. I'm enjoying the DC Rebirth stuff more than a lot of Marvel now.

At least the movies are still good.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I think the comics have closer ties to the MCU then people think. As soon as the Infinity Gauntlet wraps up I fully expect these new versions to take over instead of trying to recast or reboot Tony Stark and others.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Do they really think a wave of young girls are going to start collecting Blade comics all of a sudden because she's a girl?
Sadly enough, I said outloud I couldn't believe that they were turning Iron Man into a Black teenage girl, and every woman in the house came running immediately. I wonder how much of this is being driven by Disney, in an effort to have more diversified characters in their movies going forward? Let's be real, Disney is going to be milking these characters for all their worth over the next 100 years. It's like they are trying to get ahead of the changing demographics 20 years from now, and they want to take the hit upfront.