Marvel Universe stuff

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
That's fine but have a payoff for it. Either she fucking dies or she meets the families and either has guilt or is set up for next film bad guy.

Yeah it should definitely just be a trope instead of something unique.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Well I'm not a professional writer so I will come up with tropes. But having a payoff doesn't mean you need to resort to tropes.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
If it's not Michael Peña telling the entire story through flashback narration it's already lost me.

I have a feeling the Michael Pena flashback narrations will be the Quicksilver in action sequence of the Ant-Man movies. At least I hope.

Royal

I hope it doesn't happen.

I know, I know ... everyone wants to see all of the Marvel properties under the tent that seems to be consistently making the best comic book movies at the moment. But we'd have never gotten the Deadpool or Logan movies that we did had they been in house with a Disney owned company. And while the X-men movies aren't as consistent in quality as the stuff from Marvel proper they're good enough and have a distinctly different feel to the extent that I'd like to continue seeing an independent Fox making them. I'd like to see some of the villains such a deal would give access to become part of the MCU but I don't want it so bad to risk what could be lost if it happened this way. Disney has a good track record of letting their subsidiary studios do what they do but most of those acquisitions have been of studios that mesh almost seamlessly with what Disney had traditionally done. Fox would be a different kettle of fish.

Ten years from now the current situation could be reversed with Fox being the better performer and we might look back and thank our stars that this never happened, if indeed it doesn't.

fris

Blackwing Lair Raider
u shut your whore mouth!

competition can come across cannon. DC could get their shit together and be winning 10 years from now. You site 2 really good movies, i'll add that the 1st 2 Xmen and 1st 2 Spiderman movies are good. that leaves, how many Wolverine, Xmen, Spiderman, and FF movies that were bad? were any of those better than the worst MCU?

Sterling

El Presidente
Spiderman is Sony, not Fox though. Also, while there have been some real bad Fox superhero movies, they might be on to something with the good R Rated superhero movies. They could milk that niche and it might actually work out pretty great. Not sure how that'll all go without Jackman though, he's kind of been the one thing that's sort of held all the mutant movies together aside from Deadpool.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Spiderman is Sony, not Fox though. Also, while there have been some real bad Fox superhero movies, they might be on to something with the good R Rated superhero movies. They could milk that niche and it might actually work out pretty great. Not sure how that'll all go without Jackman though, he's kind of been the one thing that's sort of held all the mutant movies together aside from Deadpool.
Well, technically...

Hugh Jackman Also Wants a Wolverine Avengers Movie

Royal

u shut your whore mouth!

competition can come across cannon. DC could get their shit together and be winning 10 years from now. You site 2 really good movies, i'll add that the 1st 2 Xmen and 1st 2 Spiderman movies are good. that leaves, how many Wolverine, Xmen, Spiderman, and FF movies that were bad? were any of those better than the worst MCU?

It not just a matter of the movies being good. It's the breadth of the variety of those movies that the current arrangement is capable of producing. There's value for audiences in that as well. Would a Deadpool movie that was more in the vein of Rangnarok have been good? Probably. But that would have been a very different movie than the Deadpool we got. Not to mention that without Fox taking a chance on Deadpool in the first place to demonstrate was a comedic superhero movie could do we might not have gotten another in Ragnarok to begin with, at least not yet.

Personally I like the tonal differences between the Fox and Disney properties even if the price of that is some movies I don't care to watch more than once. Bob Iger (Disney's CEO) has already said Disney has no interest in pursuing R-rated comic book movies which is understandable because that is inconsistent with their brand. I'd rather not have WB as the only other major studio interested in putting those sorts of movies out there.

Last edited:

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Well, you're skipping over the fact that they could very easily leave the Fox properties "as is" so to speak, except for now they can steal characters here and there. In other words, just because Disney bought Star Wars doesn't mean that they took all the people that made Marvel movies and put them in charge of Star Wars, right? So why not keep the Fox stuff the way it is being run right now, for the most part, and only interfere with shit like Fantastic Four, etc.? There is no reason they can't keep making Deadpool and Logan type movies even though Disney owns them. Disney doesn't have a prohibition on R-rated films or anything, and they clearly love making money, so if Deadpool is kicking ass without any further guidance, they could easily just leave it alone. Except now when the next X-Men movie script has Magneto in the middle of a giant maelstrom of debris and destruction, they can have someone like Feige saying, "Well, what about if we did this instead?"

And as I understand it, they might actually be buying the entire fucking STUDIO, not just the rights to the properties. That means they literally have all the people that made, and are making, Deadpool, right? So why get rid of all that and bring in new, when you've got something that is already proven to work? There is no reason that they have to just suddenly fold all the Fox titles into the MCU hierarchy just because they buy it. I'm not sure why everyone seems to think that is what would happen the moment Disney took control.

Maybe I'm wrong about the studio/personnel part, but that's how I interpreted it. Disney makes all kinds of movies you wouldn't realize are Disney-owned, there is no reason to expect that suddenly Deadpool and the creative processes that created a movie like that would cease to exist and become just another homogenized piece of Marvel Studios. It would literally be Fox Studios, a separate entity, just like Lucasfilm. Right?

Royal

Well, you're skipping over the fact that they could very easily leave the Fox properties "as is" so to speak, except for now they can steal characters here and there.

I didn't skip over that. I said Disney has a history of letting their individual studios manage their properties creatively. But as I pointed out all the studios they've acquired before now like Pixar, Marvel, and Lucasfilm were good fits for Disney in that the kinds of movies they make were the sorts of films that Disney was already known for. Fox isn't exactly that so it would be a bigger test of that practice. Disney likes to build synergies between their media properties and their parks for example. The direction that some of the X-men films are beginning to move in doesn't line up as well with that as what they currently have and I wouldn't be surprised to see them, should they buy the Fox stuff, start tweaking it towards more compatibility.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Screw buying them, just work out mutually beneficial profit-sharing deals for usage of certain characters/properties in the MCU similar to the Spider-Man deal with Sony. This isn't fucking comic book rocket surgery here.

Sure, some neckbeards might try to argue the incongruities between the two different universes if Wolverine shows up in an MCU Avengers flick ("Where the fuck were the X-Men when ____ went down?!?") or whatever, but who gives a shit. But honestly at this point I'm more interested in what Sony "owns," with the MCU going more cosmic. They need Doom and the other cosmic shit Sony still "owns."

• 1Solidarity

Royal

Fox has Doom and a good chunk of the notable cosmic characters because they have Fantastic Four.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Fox has Doom and a good chunk of the notable cosmic characters because they have Fantastic Four.

Oh I thought it was Sony, my bad. Well the point stands, X-men whatever, the FF stuff w/ cosmic chars and Doom is where it's at for MCU.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
So what happens after the avengers and the infinity stone stuff is done? Will Marvel keep making new movies? Or what? Isn't the Iron Man movies done? He just shows up in other movies and Avengers now, and doesn't Captain America want to be done with the character soon? I would appreciate a 1,000 word essay on this.

Royal

Of course they'll keep making new movies. There's ducats to be had. The next standalone Spider-Man doesn't happen until after Infinity War.

As for exactly who will still be around for the next phase, who knows? The newer characters like Black Panther, Captain Marvel, and the Guardians will still be there but as for the old guard it's probably going to come down to how badly those actors want to continue to be a part of the MCU.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Downhammer

Vyemm Raider
Yea, it will be interesting to see if they pick another big, long-term plot after Infinity War to unite the universe. We've already seen the basic blueprint though with antman, spiderman, and the other new to the MCU characters. Have the more established characters show up in cameos while also introducing new minor characters. Sort of like three generations of characters in one movie that keeps building. Avengers cameo in antman while introducing the wasp. Next film is anchored by antman, wasp character develops, and likely some new character is introduced. Guys like RDJ and Chris Evans can say they are done with their movies but I'll bet RDJ will continue providing voice-overs for some ironman suit stand in as long as there's money there. Eventually they can reintroduce the first generation heroes with new actors just like how the comics do (hopefully without going full SJW in the recasts).

I guess the real question is are they going to do big ensemble movies pulling everything together after the infinity movies or will it be more like civil war or ragnarok that are notionally in one character's domain with a bunch of supporting heroes/villians.

• 1Like