Marvel Universe stuff

Cybsled

I think the only thing preventing it is the Loeb/Feige issues.

This. There is apparently some pissing match between the TV and Movie sides of things. Kinda sucks, because I want to see Coulson show up again in the movies (if even for a brief cameo).

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
The friction is between Feige and Loeb's boss Ike Perlmutter. He was one of the co-owners of Marvel before Disney and remained CEO after it was sold. He and Feige don't get along, to the point that Disney restructured Marvel Studios a couple of years ago to appease Feige and keep him from walking. They put the movie and film operations as Marvel Studios under Disney Studios and left television and comics under Marvel Entertainment (and Perlmutter), giving him a different boss in the company structure (currently Alan Horn).

That's why you see little to no cross pollination between the shows and the movies. Feige isn't going to do any favors for Ike Perlmutter or give him any sort of voice in what he is doing on the movie side now if he can help it.

Last edited:
  • 1Picard

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
RDJ, when he does walk away, will be missed. His take on Stark/Iron Man defines the MCU to a larger extent than any other character. I think they could probably recast/replace almost anyone (though Chris Evans is getting close to being irreplaceable) except him and audiences would eventually accept it provided Marvel did as well as they normally do with casting.
100% agree.
I remember nerdraging to a maximum degree at the radio when they compared his salary (top male actor) to Jennifer Lawrence (top female). He was definitive and had leverage in addition to an IP that was going places she is literally throwaway that could be replaced by anybody(thing?) attached to garbage that temporarily made money. To note, she made more than #2 man at the time, Jackie Chan; RDJ was in a league of his own. A better comparison would have been #2 male vs #2 female.
But instead they targeted RDJ.
phew. getting rustled. need to step off.

• 1Solidarity

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
He was definitive
This... there is no MCU without Iron Man 1. It was a perfect storm of a movie. Great lead, great supporting cast (IM1 Pepper Potts is best Pepper Potts), great vision with Feige, and it all happened at the perfect time.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
100% agree.
I remember nerdraging to a maximum degree at the radio when they compared his salary (top male actor) to Jennifer Lawrence (top female). He was definitive and had leverage in addition to an IP that was going places she is literally throwaway that could be replaced by anybody(thing?) attached to garbage that temporarily made money. To note, she made more than #2 man at the time, Jackie Chan; RDJ was in a league of his own. A better comparison would have been #2 male vs #2 female.
But instead they targeted RDJ.
phew. getting rustled. need to step off.

OH good lord don't get me started. Comparing ANYONE to RDJ is going to be a failing argument. The dude is just on another level and has had an absolutely brilliant and eclectic career.

I don't hate Jennifer Lawrence, but her career is short and filled with mostly "meh" roles. Some diehard hunger games fans went rabid thinking it would be the next harry Potter and lumped jlaw's career in with it.

People want to get all bent out of shape about the gender gap, but RDJ isn't making 50 million a movie just because he's a man.

• 1Solidarity

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Actually if rdj wasn't such a well established substance abuser, iron Man role would went to some other junkie.

• 1Picard

Juvarisx

Florida
I think all of the phase 1 actors minus Edward Norton obviously are pretty close to irreplaceable at this point. RDJ, Evans and Hemsworth (particularly after Ragnarok) are who I will always think of as those roles. Even the supporting characters like Happy, Loki, Potts, Warmachine, Odin, Agent Carter etc are really well established.

Royal

War Machine was replaced to. I guess it helps that Rhodey didn't become WM until Cheadle replaced Terrence Howard in the role.

Sterling

El Presidente
War Machine was replaced to. I guess it helps that Rhodey didn't become WM until Cheadle replaced Terrence Howard in the role.
I like Cheadle a lot in general, but I really think I preferred the Howard Rhodey.

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Barf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Royal

I like Cheadle a lot in general, but I really think I preferred the Howard Rhodey.

As did I. Cheadle seems to be a very likeable guy but when he tries to bring attitude to a role it doesn't come off as very believable imo. Though he did it well in the Oceans movies. I dunno, maybe he does it better when feigning an accent.

Sterling

El Presidente
I think Cheadle is great. Boogie Nights, Rebound, Traffic, Colors, Hotel Rwanda, and many other roles he was great in. I don't think he particularly lacks attitude in roles that should have it. I just feel like Howard was basically perfect in the first Iron Man though so it's a hard act to follow.

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
I think all of the phase 1 actors minus Edward Norton obviously are pretty close to irreplaceable at this point. RDJ, Evans and Hemsworth (particularly after Ragnarok) are who I will always think of as those roles. Even the supporting characters like Happy, Loki, Potts, Warmachine, Odin, Agent Carter etc are really well established.
They could switch out Rhodes again; I'm sure nobody would notice. Maybe make him hispanic.

• 1Worf

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Cheadle did good in the Showtime series, House of Lies. He had quite the attitude in that.

I like Don Cheadle but...

That show was cringe worthy and Cheadle's character was terrible. I attribute that more to bad writing though.

• 1Like