Marvel Universe stuff

Jive Turkey

Karen
This was probably the plan all along. Just fire him, wait for the next outrage to happen, and rehire him.

It's progress, I guess. I can't wait for the time when companies just ignore this shit and let the mob move on to something new a week later

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
It's progress, I guess. I can't wait for the time when companies just ignore this shit and let the mob move on to something new a week later

Only problem is that we probably won't get GotG 3 til like 2023-2024. He still has to do the Suicide Squad 2 movie before he gets back to Marvel.

Cybsled

GoTG did have some good moments and Mantis was awesome, esp with Drax thinking she was repulsive. "You're beautiful too...on the inside" lol

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sterling

El Presidente
I think GotG2 was better on rewatch and I actually like it. First one is probably my favorite MCU movie though so there's that.

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
GotG 3 won’t be seeing my money with Gunn attached, not supporting the hypocrisy of the Left. I don’t care what he said was 10 years ago, just like they didn’t that kavanaugh happened 3 decades ago or any of the other shit they have attacked people over. Pedophilia is not something I think jokes about should be taken lightly while you are treating racism, even racial jokes, as some kind of mortal sin.

You do with your money as you please, but mine and my families money is not supporting this. good ole piracy.

• 4Like
  • 2Salty
  • 2Dislike
Reactions: 7 users

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
guardians 2 sucked.

Guardians 2 is going to go down like Empire. People thought it was only "so-so" in theaters but as they digest it over years I think most people will find its the superior film compared to GoTG 1. GoTG is a "funner" film, for sure--its a light action adventure, while Guardians 2 is a lot heavier and deals with interpersonal drama more. So if you're coming from Guardians 1 it can feel off putting. But I think, as said, as it ages people are going to slowly shift and see it as a great film.

Rewatching it now a few times I can safely say I like 2 more than 1, and I love 1. But the family theme in 2 is so well executed, and the resonance of Peter realizing who his father was and then losing him after cementing himself as the father of his new family? Shit was well done, and really impactful emotionally. The movie does not get enough credit for it because a lot of those aspects, again, I feel were covered up by people looking for the GoTG fun, light adventure vibe (Which there is plenty of and I think it kind of distracted from the deeper parts of the movie...But those deeper parts flourish on rewatches when you can stop and think about it.)

• 3Like
  • 1Garbage
  • 1Pants on Fire!
Reactions: 5 users

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Maybe not, but again she did it today vs. 10 years ago. If Gunn had made those same jokes today, he wouldn't be brought back.

It's also "jokes" about cumming on little boys faces vs jokes poking fun at an adult for having a weird face. The fact that people find these two equivalent and the only distinction is time is a bit of the problem. We've become so histrionic about racism that people believe pedophilia is the lesser offense here or only "just as bad".

And that's not hyperbole, look at the gangs in England that sexually enslaved little girls--tons of police gave fear of seeming racist as the reason they didn't stop them, despite the fact that in some cases they literally caught men fucking little girls (In two cases they even caught them, and picked up the Cell Phone the guy had used to record him having sex with a 12 year old...He was not arrested...The little girls father was, though, because he wouldn't let the police ignore it and was forcing them to be racist. )

In the end, the sad part is I don't think anyone should be tossed for this shit. But if Hollywood is going to demand Supreme Court Justices can't get nominated because they talked about Boofing and some hag with no evidence claimed he grabbed her tit, well, be prepared to enforce that moral grand standing or just shut up about it. Hopefully they choose to shut up. I'll be happy if they just shut up.

• 1RAGE
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Guardians 2 is going to go down like Empire. People thought it was only "so-so" in theaters but as they digest it over years I think most people will find its the superior film compared to GoTG 1. GoTG is a "funner" film, for sure--its a light action adventure, while Guardians 2 is a lot heavier and deals with interpersonal drama more. So if you're coming from Guardians 1 it can feel off putting. But I think, as said, as it ages people are going to slowly shift and see it as a great film.

Rewatching it now a few times I can safely say I like 2 more than 1, and I love 1. But the family theme in 2 is so well executed, and the resonance of Peter realizing who his father was and then losing him after cementing himself as the father of his new family? Shit was well done, and really impactful emotionally. The movie does not get enough credit for it because a lot of those aspects, again, I feel were covered up by people looking for the GoTG fun, light adventure vibe (Which there is plenty of and I think it kind of distracted from the deeper parts of the movie...But those deeper parts flourish on rewatches when you can stop and think about it.)
i would agree except after one time i have no desire to rewatch it.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
A person's poor taste in a joke should not nor ever be something that is condemnable. It's a joke, even if it's bad or in poor taste. I won't ever take that shit seriously unless an actual unredeemable act occurs. He hasn't fucked any kids, and you can clearly tell he was being experimental (even if said jokes are plainly bad). That it riles folks up is kinna the point of the "joke" and the reaction to it is the amusing part to me. I get that it isn't funny, like fat jokes aren't funny to me. But saying dumb shit and being fired for it nearly a decade after is some totalitarian, 1984 levels of thought censorship bullshit.

You don't vilify the Joker for his jokes, but the fact that he abducts and murders people.

If you're too soft to realize the difference, you are literally the problem with modern society.

• 1Like

Jive Turkey

Karen
Guardians 2 is going to go down like Empire. People thought it was only "so-so" in theaters but as they digest it over years I think most people will find its the superior film compared to GoTG 1.

The big difference for me is scope. Empire expanded the scope of the universe while also introducing more emotional aspects. Guardians 2 did the latter, but the world felt smaller and more constricted. I really wanted a bigger story

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

the 15 mins the GoTG were in IW, were better than GoTG2, it's just like all of MCU, the sequels (AoU include) just suck, or are bland

Of course Cap being the exception.

• 1Like

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
A person's poor taste in a joke should not nor ever be something that is condemnable. It's a joke, even if it's bad or in poor taste. I won't ever take that shit seriously unless an actual unredeemable act occurs. He hasn't fucked any kids, and you can clearly tell he was being experimental (even if said jokes are plainly bad). That it riles folks up is kinna the point of the "joke" and the reaction to it is the amusing part to me. I get that it isn't funny, like fat jokes aren't funny to me. But saying dumb shit and being fired for it nearly a decade after is some totalitarian, 1984 levels of thought censorship bullshit.

You don't vilify the Joker for his jokes, but the fact that he abducts and murders people.

If you're too soft to realize the difference, you are literally the problem with modern society.

While I agree that there's a world of difference between making a joke and committing a harmful act, words DO have consequences, and these sorts of jokes could reasonably have some consequences if found out later in life. How much consequence is another subject.

• 1Dislike

Nidhogg

Molten Core Raider
Words only matter in context - remember this tidbit from Abraham Lincoln? "My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that."

Do people remember him as the man who saved the Union, or the man who freed the slaves - and more importantly would people of today somehow lessen his impact on the world due to the cause and effect of his actions versus the intention behind them?

• 1Like

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Gunn got his life destroyed for some bad jokes in the past. However, he's not like a Bryan Singer who has actual allegations and shit going on after him. All Gunn had was bad jokes. There were no charges ever against him and there were no accusers that said that he did shit to them.

I am fine with Disney rehiring him and him getting back to work.

• 1Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I never got around to buying it on Blu-Ray and don't want to double dip since they are starting to release stuff in 4K.