Marvel Universe stuff

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Before we had pandering to encourage a demographic to go see content and therefore earn more $$$. Now everything is becoming more preachy and even worse when you get Star Wars brand preachy "you either like it or you're not a real fan" any more. You can't even point out the shitty parts that have nothing to do with politics or ideology. When you have a 7-layer burrito and EVERY layer is awful everything shouldn't default to "oh you just hate the outer layer"

Rude

Potato del Grande
I think the issue which has been repeated several times in an attempt to get retards like Mudcrush Durtfeet Mudcrush Durtfeet to understand is, they're rewriting existing, established characters to get in on the current degenerative social paradigm. Spiderman is black now, maybe gay or transsexual also? I dunno, he's all over the place. Why not make new heroes, new villains, new canon, etc?

I guess that may be too unfair to ask, as I'm sure Stan Lee just rewrote the characters from the comic series George Washington started after becoming president, which he stole from Martin Luther.

• 3Like
  • 1Salty
  • 1Popcorn
Reactions: 4 users

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Imagine looking to be offended by SJWism or not enough SJWism in a movie. You're all fucking boomer baby whiners. Black Heimdall meant nothing for the movie and the only downside is Elba can't be used in the MCU elsewhere now.

Seriously, you guys go in looking for this shit to complain about rather than just watching the movie.

TLDR;

You're now the old whiney generation. But we'll use our terms.

You guys are fags.

Imagine being stupid enough to keep buying something you don't enjoy, simply to avoid being called a whiner. What kind of low self esteem faggot would spend money just to feel more accepted by a bunch of dogmatic assholes on twitter/twitch or other narcissistic hives of idiocy? What kind of sniveling worm would refuse to speak up about it for fear of those people labeling them?

Oh. Hey Xev.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
I'm not going to drag this into a deep politics/capitalism derail as we have threads for that. I dont care that your delicate sensibilities are offended by business marketing decisions that involve movie companies expanding revenue streams into flavor of the month SJW favorites.

And for all of the responders think their experience working the drive thru window at Wendy's gives you an insight into corporate decision making, well done. While artists/writers etc are assuredly pushing agendas, the people with that actual checkbooks making corporate decisions are greenlighting movies to make money and not to raise a rainbow flag. The exception to this is people like that daughter of Ellision who is pissing away daddy's money making shitty SJW films. That isnt a corporation.

Before you accuse others of working in Wendy's, you should realize corporate heads are some of the people most prone to bubbles/bias. Those bubbles have become significantly worse thanks to social media algorithms (Which is most likely one of the key reasons these idiots feel so confident about rejecting their core fan base for weak attempts to court another--because they percieve it to be far larger than it is thanks to their Algo-Bubble). The whole point of what people are saying is that people need to speak up and show their displeasure to break those bubbles. Because if you're fine with the characters you love being altered in the name of merit, but they are NOT fine with that--eventually you will have no characters that appeal to you.

Lets put it in other terms. If I have a game where I can demand a dollar from you every time you offend me, but you can't do the same from me--who is going to wind up with all the money? Culture is a form of capital. Either demand they offer concessions (IE play by your merit rules), or demand they adhere to their own (IE films for "you" are off limits from diversity shit). Personally, I hope the former wins, I HATE thinking about race and gender in films, its fucking tedious. But I don't think I'm going to be seeing white Wakandans anytime soon, do you? Thus, the only way to force the issue is to hold them to their own rules. I can not imagine why that hurts people's sensibilities to call out hypocrisy. I just can't.

But as said, maybe "go woke, go broke" hasn't been seen enough yet. People don't realize how this game ends. Where they offer nothing in terms of compromise and demand everything; because pandering to the "niche" markets your talking about will be framed as brave and progressive, while pandering to you, you evil straight male, will be considered reinforcing patriarchal, oppressive, whiteness (Even if you're black!) Just like we said about Comics a decade ago now; eventually you'll be left with no characters you identify with because they've all changed, and the entire industry will be in the toilet and everyone will be wondering "how did this happen"?! It happened because what starts as simple pandering eventually grows into a cancer as dogmatic jerk offs use it, and the bubble their bosses are in to convince them to drink more of the kool aid.

But hey, don't take my word for it. How about that new black female 007? Now that's brave and progressive!

Last edited:

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
You can't really believe this, can you?

You really think the market wants a gay couple in every movie and show?

This is where your argument fails. Who said anything about "every" film having a gay couple? You did. Every film doesnt and wont have a gay couple in it. And when society moves in another direction down the road, the movie makers will adjust with it. Why do you think they made a dozen Saw and Jason movies? Because every movie must have a serial killer in it? No. There was a market segment that was willing to pay to see shitty slasher movies. And they made more money than they cost. Why didnt Fox or Sony (i forget which) keep making FF movies with that new SJW cast? Because they lost a ton of money. In your view they would keep making them and keep losing money because they were SJW friendly. Nope.

• 1Picard
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Before you accuse others of working in Wendy's, you should realize corporate heads are some of the people most prone to bubbles/bias. Those bubbles have become significantly worse thanks to social media algorithms (Which is most likely one of the key reasons these idiots feel so confident about rejecting their core fan base for weak attempts to court another--because they percieve it to be far larger than it is thanks to their Algo-Bubble).

The whole point of what people are saying is that people need to speak up and show their displeasure to break those bubbles. Because if you're fine with the characters you love being altered in the name of merit, but they are NOT fine with that--eventually you will have no characters that appeal to you.

Lets put it in other terms. If I have a game where I can demand a dollar from you every time you offend me, but you can't do the same from me--who is going to wind up with all the money? Culture is a form of capital. Either demand they offer concessions (IE play by your merit rules), or demand they adhere to their own (IE films for "you" are off limits from diversity shit). Personally, I hope the former wins, I HATE thinking about race and gender in films, its fucking tedious. But I don't think I'm going to be seeing white Wakandans anytime soon, do you? Thus, the only way to force the issue is to hold them to their own rules. I can not imagine why that hurts people's sensibilities to call out hypocrisy. I just can't.
Almost 4 million Americans work in fast food. It was an educated guess that at least some were posting in this thread talking about their intimate knowledge of corporate finance and marketing.

I never said you or anyone else cant have a voice. Have it. But you dont get to demand change. Your demands are worth Jack and shit and Jack just left town. Your voice is heard with your wallet. Dont like a product, dont buy it. Use your voice to convince enough people to do the same and corporations will listen.

Do you think the head of MGM or Universal Pictures is spending his day checking out twitter for people's opinions? No. They are going over income statements, revenue projections and assorted other shit involving their cash flows.

I dont give a shit honestly if the movie people make changes to my "beloved" characters. Its art. Everyone changes everything all the time. Do you have any idea how often great actors/actresses go off script or ad lib lines because at that moment it feels right "for the character"? Jack Sparrow was basically Johnny Depp making shit up as he went along.

If you dont like changes a writer/director/studio make to your beloved character then dont watch the movie. Feel free to bitch about it, but dont blow it up into some modern day crusade and make yourself out to be a Templar or Hospitalar fighting the good fight. Its movies based on comic books. If you really want to fight the good fight fly your ass to Portland and go put down the Antifa dickheads. That is crusade worth fighting.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Almost 4 million Americans work in fast food. It was an educated guess that at least some were posting in this thread talking about their intimate knowledge of corporate finance and marketing.

I never said you or anyone else cant have a voice. Have it. But you dont get to demand change. Your demands are worth Jack and shit and Jack just left town. Your voice is heard with your wallet. Dont like a product, dont buy it. Use your voice to convince enough people to do the same and corporations will listen.

Sanrith: Why didn't X studio keep making the SJW fantastic four, because it failed a the box office! Vote with your wallet!

Also Sanrith: I, for one, think its fine they are making a bunch more SJW films.

If you stop spending money to see something, and you don't make it known why--the only voices who can paint that picture will be the SJWs. Its not enough to stop buying something, you need to explain why. The market is not wholly rational, and is far too complex for people to read correctly--humans use all kinds of shortcuts to make sense of this complexity that are irrational or not wholly accurate, that we use ALL the time (Even executives), such as heuristic analysis. In the case of Hollywood, social proof would be a powerful, all dominating heuristic--which means the "SJW" factors would absolutely be biased against rational analysis as to what made them fail.

Years ago now, the Marvel CEO actually admitted Diversity wrecked their industry. Absolute RAPED them, and the pattern so ridiculously clear it was like a sledge hammer, rarely are markets so easy to read, or are correlations so clear. (Older comics were their best sellers--essentially anything not touched by the diversity cult was being voraciously gobbled down, while diversity comics were avoided.) Did Marvel stop selling diversity comics or swap back? Nope. Because a bunch of media talking heads and the SJW staff swarmed the leadership and convinced them it wasn't diversity, it was X, Y, Z factor, they were papered with super liberal articles and twitter rants, and Marvel DOUBLED DOWN on diversity rather than cutting it back. Now their sales are worse. Voting with your wallet doesn't mean people will understand what didn't work--markets/human social networks are WAY too complex to assume that.

Do you think the head of MGM or Universal Pictures is spending his day checking out twitter for people's opinions? No. They are going over income statements, revenue projections and assorted other shit involving their cash flows.

I dont give a shit honestly if the movie people make changes to my "beloved" characters. Its art. Everyone changes everything all the time. Do you have any idea how often great actors/actresses go off script or ad lib lines because at that moment it feels right "for the character"? Jack Sparrow was basically Johnny Depp making shit up as he went along.

If you dont like changes a writer/director/studio make to your beloved character then dont watch the movie. Feel free to bitch about it, but dont blow it up into some modern day crusade and make yourself out to be a Templar or Hospitalar fighting the good fight. Its movies based on comic books. If you really want to fight the good fight fly your ass to Portland and go put down the Antifa dickheads. That is crusade worth fighting.

Do you think the head of MGM or Universal are personally green lighting movies? No. So why are you talking about them? You're right, they are over-viewing the process and results and relying on people who ARE influenced by social media to give them the low down on what people are thinking and how people are reacting. This is WHY they are more susceptible to bias. Because they are literally sealed within a bubble and rely on locality (People within their bubble) to give them reasoning behind losses or worse performance. And do you think the cult members who are making reports and kicking information up the chain are going to be parsing feedback fairly, or think they have their heads shoved up the asses of tons of SJW media outlets and a fully divided social media made up of sycophants? Yeah...And that's the view that eventually makes it to the people cutting the checks. Which is why its important you speak out to break bubbles down, to demand change at the lower levels, so it filters up.

And to that end, I think I will blow it up into a modern Crusade. What in the hell do you think Trump and the entire political landscape is fractured over? Wake the fuck up man. The culture war isn't fucking starting, its going critical. You don't get to dictate how its fought anymore. You don't get to tell people "this isn't the place to talk about it" while its shoved in their faces at EVERY turn, in every piece of media they go to consume. No more tone policing bullshit. I will not just sit by and tolerate it quietly, I'll speak my mind. I'm done allowing the other side of this debate to dominate the table because "my side" is more interested in not making waves or sees this as not much of a fight; what a ridiculous view. The country is being ripped apart by this fight. Stop ignoring it.

Last edited:

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
wait a minute didn't you start this whole thing bitching about people doing THIS EXACT THING?
No. I said this exact thing. If you dont like a movie dont give them money. I was bitching about people making this out to be some personal affront to their delicate sensibilities.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
No. I said this exact thing. If you dont like a movie dont give them money. I was bitching about people making this out to be some personal affront to their delicate sensibilities.

That's a straw man, and a ridiculous one. People are explaining why they are rejecting a product. That's an important part of "voting with your wallet". Especially when the other side of the debate will also vote with their wallet and scream autistically for YEARS, making them seem far more numerous.

Word of mouth (Information from known quantities, since "word of mouth" can now happen on social media), to this day, is still the most dominant, effective form of advertising. For a reason. In fact, its grown MORE effective in the internet age (Which is half the reason why old media has become unhinged, they aren't as trusted as known persons and now don't have as big of an advantage in reach). So yes, talking about this is important. In fact, I'd say its the most important thing--because word of mouth can destroy sales.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>

is their behavior in turn a personal affront to YOUR delicate sensibilities? truly at what point in the cycle of bitching does it end?

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Sanrith: Why didn't X studio keep making the SJW fantastic four, because it failed a the box office! Vote with your wallet!

Also Sanrith: I, for one, think its fine they are making a bunch more SJW films.

How is this difficult for you to wrap your head around that the quotes above arent mutually exclusive.

#1 says dont pay to see movies you dont like.
#2 says I am fine if they make movies I dont like, i wont pay to see them. I dont get personally insulted if someone makes a movie i dont like. I dont care how they spend their corporate dollars.

Do you get all worked up when your favorite sports team loses or trades a player? Like it is personally impacting you.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
is their behavior in turn a personal affront to YOUR delicate sensibilities? truly at what point in the cycle of bitching does it end?
Nope, not in the least. I was responding to folks who were responding to me. The point of a discussion board is to... discuss. I take this dialogue as personally as I do movies that make changes to my "beloved characters". Not at all.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Nope, not in the least. I was responding to folks who were responding to me. The point of a discussion board is to... discuss. I take this dialogue as personally as I do movies that make changes to my "beloved characters". Not at all.

you expect me to buy that, yet when they say they're not as upset as you're making them out to be, you disbelieve them?

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
How is this difficult for you to wrap your head around that the quotes above arent mutually exclusive.

#2 says I am fine if they make movies I dont like, i wont pay to see them. I dont get personally insulted if someone makes a movie i dont like. I dont care how they spend their corporate dollars.

Do you get all worked up when your favorite sports team loses or trades a player? Like it is personally impacting you.

You missed the point I was making. In one frame, you said voting with your wallet would work. In the next, you illustrate how there have been colossal failures with SJW shit, and the whole ideology keeps getting green lit into bigger and bigger franchises. "Go woke, go broke" has become a meme and going woke shows no signs of slowing down. The point was that markets are not always rational, because humans are too stupid to properly correlate cause and effect in complex systems. We use all kinds of cognitive shortcuts to get around this, and ideological beliefs are one of those shortcuts. This is why economists are wrong so much, and why some of the most powerful institutions needed to be bailed out a short time ago. In our modern world, information is no longer power---the ability to turn it into useful data is power. We have far too much information. To defeat that signal noise, people must speak up, ardently and more importantly, ubiquitously.

No one is getting insulted or worked up , we're just going to actually discuss why we dislike something. You do realize how this whole ideology grew so dominant right? Its based on critical theory--the idea that just speaking up and being critical can produce profound social shifts, because people anchor their beliefs, heuristically, to what they can recall. So if you're in a room with 100 people, and 10 of them LOUDLY say they dislike something--and the other 90 LIKE it, but don't speak up, you, as a human will believe those 10 opinions represent the majority position and coform to it. In fact, those 90 will also conform to the 10 over time, rather than their own predilection. Because humans at their core attempt to conform to the social sentiment that APPEARS dominant, but since information is imperfect, we can only go with what we see/hear. So unless those 90 people speak up, you will never know. False Consensus effect. (Will dig up the Penn paper on this if you want, but effectively, to control a population you just need 5-10% of them to be vocal about X position, while the rest aren't, and that position will be carried regardless of popular sentiment. It can NOT be understated how important speaking up is.)

Last edited:

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member

this isnt true, they arent making new things i dont like, they are taking away things i already had and loved and inserting piles of shit inside, then berating me for not liking it anymore.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
This is where your argument fails. Who said anything about "every" film having a gay couple? You did. Every film doesnt and wont have a gay couple in it.
So what percentage of movies (and TV shows) have someone that is gay in them? 80%? 50%? Moving forward, what do you see that percentage being? Closer and closer to 100%, I'd venture to say, even if it never hits it.

So what is "enough"? Given that LGBTQLMNOP+ are less than 10% of the population, and that blacks are less than 15% of the (Western) civilization...what percentage is enough to appease them while still adequately portraying demographics? Nowadays if you make a show that doesn't have AT LEAST one character for each of those demographics, you are immediately blasted on Twatter.

You can say that every film doesn't have a gay couple in it, and technically you'd be correct, but the rest of us see that it is far, far more than what the population would warrant. Why should we have to over-correct to such an extreme to cater to such a small minority? If you want them in your movie/show, great, I'm totally fine with that. But you shouldn't immediately get strung up before the Twatter police if you choose not to include them. That's what happens though, so now we get a fucking Witcher show that is more concerned with diversity than with actually telling the fucking Witcher story in an entertaining manner. I won't be surprised if one of them is fucking gay either.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
So what percentage of movies (and TV shows) have someone that is gay in them? 80%? 50%? Moving forward, what do you see that percentage being? Closer and closer to 100%, I'd venture to say, even if it never hits it.

So what is "enough"? Given that LGBTQLMNOP+ are less than 10% of the population, and that blacks are less than 15% of the (Western) civilization...what percentage is enough to appease them while still adequately portraying demographics? Nowadays if you make a show that doesn't have AT LEAST one character for each of those demographics, you are immediately blasted on Twatter.

You can say that every film doesn't have a gay couple in it, and technically you'd be correct, but the rest of us see that it is far, far more than what the population would warrant. Why should we have to over-correct to such an extreme to cater to such a small minority? If you want them in your movie/show, great, I'm totally fine with that. But you shouldn't immediately get strung up before the Twatter police if you choose not to include them. That's what happens though, so now we get a fucking Witcher show that is more concerned with diversity than with actually telling the fucking Witcher story in an entertaining manner. I won't be surprised if one of them is fucking gay either.

Twitter is a cesspool that makes Facebook look like an English book club. Of course you get hammered saying shit against the alphabet folks. That's what makes it fun.

And then there is this..

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
this isnt true, they arent making new things i dont like, they are taking away things i already had and loved and inserting piles of shit inside, then berating me for not liking it anymore.
So did you feel the same way about Beta Ray Thor, Planet Hulk, etc in the comics? Those were fundamental changes to the characters for a decent amount of time.