Marvel Universe stuff

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
May 6, 2016. Captain America 3 vs Batman/Superman, opening in theaters on the same day.

Marvel and Disney had already put an unannounced title there as they've done for a number of summers now before WB announced the next Batman would launch on that date.

Xevy

Log Wizard
May 6, 2016. Captain America 3 vs Batman/Superman, opening in theaters on the same day.

Marvel and Disney had already put an unannounced title there as they've done for a number of summers now before WB announced the next Batman would launch on that date.
Interesting move. Not sure why the fuck they'd do that as even though SvB will pull in more than Cap 3 they're going to lose some potential money on it. I'm sure most people will see SvB that weekend, then uber nerds will see both, and neckbeards mad about Affleck will see Cap3 then SvB 3 weeks later.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
not sure i'd agree with that. most people that I've talked to are in full wtf mode with SvB whereas they have the complete opposite emotion with cap2. now, maybe cap2 will suck and the marvel movie universe will self-destruct in 2 years... but again... i'm not seeing it.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Interesting move. Not sure why the fuck they'd do that as even though SvB will pull in more than Cap 3 they're going to lose some potential money on it. I'm sure most people will see SvB that weekend, then uber nerds will see both, and neckbeards mad about Affleck will see Cap3 then SvB 3 weeks later.
Thats just stupid, why fight over the same dollars when you can stagger the release and both come out big winners. I love the marvel movies, but thats a Superman V Batman weekend for me.

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
Yeah, not sure why WB decided to go against a Marvel movie on that date, Marvel says they're not moving their release. Don't really care, they'll both do well and I'll see them both, just some added drama for the media and fans to play with.

With Bucky signed for 9 movies, I wonder if Winter Soldier will set up for him to take over as Cap or if Cap 3 might include the Civil War storyline.

Rengak

Blackwing Lair Raider
Thats just stupid, why fight over the same dollars when you can stagger the release and both come out big winners. I love the marvel movies, but thats a Superman V Batman weekend for me.
Releasing the same weekend means Marvel steals money from Warner Brothers. Marvel can afford for Cap 3 to make less money, Warner Brothers can't.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Yeah, Marvel have Iron Man, Thor, Captain America and Avengers active - with Guardians of the Galaxy and Ant Man coming at least (not even counting the other Marvel "universes" with X Men and Spiderman). DC only have Superman active with Justice League coming.

They can sacrifice part of the Captain America takings to damage Justice League and kill it off at birth before the competition have 6+ franchises active which will clash with many future films.

Skylancer81

Molten Core Raider
Had they not decided to make the Man of Steel sequel into SvB+ Justice League, I would want to see it. Had it just been Man of Steel 2 with another villain etc. With all the horrible choices they have picked for the roles, plus the terrible plot idea itself no way it does well. I doubt I will even redbox it for a dollar 4 months after it releases.

Sad as I loved Man of Steel.

Agreed Cap 3 will demolish it.

None of my Super Hero movie friends want to see SvB with all the bad moves they have made to this point. And that is saying something cause they normally will watch any Super Hero movie.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
DC just sucks, the executives making decisions at DC are like FOX executives with a sci-fi series. That's how bad DC is, and i happen to like some "merged" DC properties over Marvel. I think the Authority is a better "super hero group" than avengers (justice league is just shit really).

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
So I went and saw Robocop today as an excuse to get out of the house... a few super hero trailers in front it. I didn't think much of the X-Men trailer before because it really doesn't show much as it tries to stuff all of the cast into it, but watching the new X-Men trailer after seeing trailers for Spidey 2 and Cap 2 really make it look awful.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think the Authority is a better "super hero group" than avengers (justice league is just shit really).
Not to derail, but I haven't kept up with The Authority. Since like...God...when it went all post-apocalyptic and Apollo had to stay up above the cloud layer most of the time I think. It's been a long time.

Basically, if I wanted to jump back on board where would be a good starting point? Because I loved that shit, especially the early volumes(obviously).

Caliane

Not to derail, but I haven't kept up with The Authority. Since like...God...when it went all post-apocalyptic and Apollo had to stay up above the cloud layer most of the time I think. It's been a long time.

Basically, if I wanted to jump back on board where would be a good starting point? Because I loved that shit, especially the early volumes(obviously).
There isn't really any. Wildstorm was shut down.

Volume 1 and 2 of The Authority are great.
V3 is not very good. The good writers moved on, and you get stories by people that don't really get the characters at all. random dumb shit. they totally lost direction.

Currently, wildstorm has merged with DC proper. So many wildstorm characters are now in the Nu52.
I can't think of a single one that transferred well. Maybe Voodoo and her short run.

Wildcats are pretty much all villains and dead.
Gen13 grunge was a villain, in Teen Titans. Fairchild was a villianish, in superboy... also died iirc.
Grifter is antihero/villain. less freelance operative, and more just plain assassin now. Subtle sure. but hes plain unlikable.

The Authority, became Stormwatch in Nu52. but only part of the team. It was terrible. And kindof rebooted. think it might have even been canceled. not sure on that. So now, they just show up to "job" to the newest big bad, as needed.

no maxine, no Zealot, no Spartan, no Hawksmore.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
There really is no place for Stormwatch / The Authority in a universe that already has Superman/Batman/the Justice League. Nu52 tried to set up a status quo where Stormwatch took care of the really serious planetary threats while the Justice League were the posers with pretty faces for public consumption...but that just didnt work.

Caliane

There really is no place for Stormwatch / The Authority in a universe that already has Superman/Batman/the Justice League. Nu52 tried to set up a status quo where Stormwatch took care of the really serious planetary threats while the Justice League were the posers with pretty faces for public consumption...but that just didnt work.
Bad writing is the sole problem.
If Planetary, the Authority, the WildCats can all be in the same place with no problem, then so could have they made it into Earth 1 or 2.
Which leads to the next issue... could have easily just been on Earth 2. it writes itself. Apocalypse invades Earth 2. kills batman, superman and wonderwoman, 80% of the worlds superheroes. Powergirl, and Huntress/Robin accidentally get sent to Earth 1.
There was a running joke for nu52. Seemed every single comic had its own super secret clandestine government organization. I can't even name them all. Checkmate, argus, Stormwatch, suicide squad's organization, Metal men's organization, the one in Firestorm, pretty sure Aquaman had one too, Justice league dark, etc it went on and on.

Earth 2 could have EASILY been home to the Authority. Not just easily. it would have been a perfect fit. In the same way The Authority formed when Stormwatch was murdered by Aliens. (ps, I shit you not, actual Aliens TM vs Stormwatch crossover event comic.)

Earth 2 stuff is a good read though still.

WW's solo comic is miles from Justice League. Batman in Gotham basically can't work within the Justice League dynamic either. one minute Batman is fighting crime and the Court of Owls with his bare hands, the next minute hes building OMAC, Brother Eye and Teleporters... right...