Marvel's Agent Carter

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
No, of course not. It's not like the president or whatever would have any idea what those guys do day to day. Do you think presidential appointments come with a detailed list of micro-management instructions or something ? ;p
dunno, i have never dealt with a person in that kind of situation.i just figured if somebody gets put somewhere they are expected to do the job befitting the position.

Cybsled

Hence where the historical context comes into play. They know she has some value, but at the same time they have no incentive to put her in a position to "steal" work from them. Most of the programmers on the ENIAC system were women I believe, then they all got kicked to the curb eventually.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
ok, but they were programmers who were hired to program and were programming. they werent getting the males coffee all day i assume.

Cybsled

They were, but once the problems were solved by the programmers and the war was over, they were largely ignored.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i think some of the acting took a hit this week, but damn i do love those period settings. as a kid during the 70s i remember stuff still looking that way in some places.

Cybsled

Decent episode and the old school Cloak&Dagger stuff is fun to watch
wink.png

Caliane

That article doesn't quite elicit how much its all the Comics Code Authorities fault. social justice brigades forced censorship on comics. And that was the end result.
look at this hilarious line.
Oh, and no pants, ladies: "All characters shall be depicted in dress reasonably acceptable to society
They totally miss the parallels to Bayonetta, powergirl, Wonderwomans legs, spiderwoman, etc.. bitching NOW.
Now, if a female character is NOT wearing pants it's sexism, and must be changed.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
They were kicked out of every normal job, so clearly they were also demoted as secret agents? Women were always critical in intelligence BECAUSE every job in the world is done by men. The development of the intelligence services of the 20th century was just another page of war, and the same pragmatism that was necessary in WW2 was necessary in the cold war. She just wouldn't be in the bull pen with a bunch of dudes. The sexism throughout the period is fine. The sexism in her office from her co-workers would be a different flavor entirely.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Yet in the very first episode they use the typical seductress approach for her to get information. A role a man isn't capable of managing unless the target is gay, and if they uncover that then they can use it as blackmail - chick required either way. The fact that she'll be considered a dumb girl / secretary means she can work in places a man couldn't, posing as staff that works closely with a person or near a location that has information. Being underestimated is an asset she gets to use, and thus so do her employers. Yet the only one that gets her capacity is Stark? It's cheesy and lame.

Cybsled

Stark knows her from WW2, so he knows she isn't a chump. There is also a brief line in last night's episode where "Eli Thompson" laments being stuck with her, which reinforces the idea that someone very high up wants her there. There are people who know she is a valuable intelligence agent asset, but that doesn't mean everyone will know or appreciate it even if they did.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
There is also the possibility that the whole theft of starks stuff is a smokescreen by stark to help ferret out leviathan and possibly moles in the SSR using carter due to her being a woman means there is almost no chance she would be involved in any plots of that nature.

Vlett

Lord Nagafen Raider
The feel from the office guys is mostly a war hero and grunt type vibe. The majority were not placed in that office for bright ideas, certainly.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I can't believe they killed the moose. Why not legs? I get tired of seeing him rattle around.

I hope they tell us how the house marm knew about the visitor. Seemed like a fool proof plan for the late 40's to scale the wall like that.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I finally deciphered your first line. I'm glad they didn't kill "legs" because Enver Gjokaj is an awesome actor that needs to be in a lot more shit. And he's obviously being portrayed as the only one in the unit with testicles and a brain, so he'll be pivotal later on I'm sure.

Barab

Silver Knight of the Realm
Ayran dude coming out of wall there only to get ninjigato'd was the highlight of this season for me