Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Well, since you're complaining about it, they DID call it exactly what you demanded...Agents of SHIELD. They didn't call it Superheroes of SHIELD. Agents. Like the ones that populate seemingly half the shows on television already.

The Marvel at the front is purely for brand/name recognition. I guarantee that even if they had named it one of your ideas, it would have been Marvel's Agent Coulson and Friends for exactly the same reason. Because no one but us geeks know wtf SHIELD even is, let alone Agent Coulson and Friends, so they toss Marvel in front of it to get people to watch.

Like Grimmlokk said, the show isn't very good, but sometimes I marvel (no pun intended) at the way your brain works compared to everyone else's. Speaking of, you clearly hate this show, and not in a Walking Dead way, so why do you keep watching?
since you asked and only insulted me a little bit i will answer. for 6 years in the movies, agent coulson has been working with superheroes as an agent of shield? did i get that part right? ok, now for the last 70 years marvel has made comics that are primarily superhero centric. did i get that right? ok now that we have established what is expected of marvel, agent coulson and the shield organization through the movies of the last 6 years. a new show comes along called Marvel, agents of shield, starring a recently resurrected agent coulson. the show is full of references to the avengers and its superheroes, but we dont actually get to see them or any other marvel superhero.

instead we get some nerdy brit scientists, generic macho agent, a sexy hacker chick who has mommy issues and an asian milf who is a martial arts expert who basically play scooby doo mysteries with some marvel references thrown in keep the nerds from changing the channel. did i get that part right?
i kept watching because i expected to see superheroes and not supernobodies. agent coulson and his tahiti vacation is not what i hoped for when i started watching.

if you knew this show was going to be like this, then why the hell do you keep watching?

because he's an idiot who can't understand that the problem of this show is not the lack of superheroes. It's the terrible teenage drama level of stupidity scripts, dialogues and characters. Add to this the bad actors and you just brewed one of the most underwhelming show in the past decade

i normally watch a serie for one season and half before i jump the ship. You know, not all series can start great and you got to give them time to fix themself (Star Trek: TNG is the perfect example of a not so good serie turned amazing after the first season)

this serie however is pushing me to do it earlier.....
was it really idiotic to expect superheroes though? keep in mind i have not been a comic book reader since late 80s/early 90s and only then it was non coded batman ,darkhorse comics , judge dredd comics, DC graphic novels and EC comic reissues(vault of horror for example). the only marvel comics i read were spiderman comics during the 70s which were not very good. i got my knowledge for everything else DC and marvel through the tv shows and films. i probably rate higher than the average TV viewer, but i rate far far below the average comic book nerd. so i went in on this program only based on what i saw from Iron Man, captain america, thor, ed norton hulk and the avengers. its logical to assume that a show about the organization that has been working with superheroes for the last 6 years of movies would continue to do so on tv. insult me all you want,( and im sure you will
tongue.png
) but this cheesy shit we got in this TV show cant be what the average tv viewer or the hardcore comic reader was expecting. was it?

-one more edit
and you know what, show runners know goddamned well that viewers were expecting to see marvel superheroes, because if this was intended as a standalone show about agents of shield that investigate unrelated stuff then they would not tease references to the movies and the avengers every fucking week. so yeah i have no problem saying that i fully expected to see some marvel superheroes pop up. not all the time, but at least once in a while.

Jefferson_sl

shitlord
for 6 years in the movies, agent coulson has been working with superheroes as an agent of shield? did i get that part right?
Yes, that is correct. Now plot wise this is not currently possible agent Coulson is dead to the Avengers and Earth's mightiest heroes don't particularly like being screwed with which kind of writes them out of the show for now. The reveal that Coulson is alive will happen in a movie and not the t.v. show. There is a very practical reason to keep the big guys out of the show too, they all use CG that is simply too expensive for that show to afford currently. Add to that that none of the Avengers are in communication with SHIELD or particularly like being under Nick Fury's thumb so there is absolutely no reason for them to be hanging around and whoever is funding SHIELD didn't seem to particularly like any of the Avengers, they are just too dangerous.

I think they can't kill Skye off fast enough, she's the brick and they're drowning slowly. Her skill set is redundant, the Fitzsimons can easily take over the hacking role in the show, her premise is retarded, she can hack sheild from a laptop in her van, really? really? Her parents might still be alive, give me a fucking reason to give a shit about anything to do with this character before you start trying to startle me with major reveals related to her past. All of the other characters have potential but she is just eye candy, they should write her out as soon as possible.

Making a successful television show is all about meeting expectations, I would love to see one of the supers called in when things get hairy or at least Black Widow or Hawkeye who do work with shield but none of those actors are in the budget. With that said Colbie Smulders should be in the budget and she can easily replace Skye as hot chick on the show though in a much different role, she does not agree with Nick Fury most of the time and that animosity can filter down to Coulson and his pet project. She may have obligations with How I Met Your Mother right now because somebody isn't done kicking that particular dead horse, seriously that show has lasted at least 4 years too long.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
now that it's been confirmed about colbie smulders deal with marvel (appears in 9 films) i'm pretty sure she'll never be in AOS again, and the only reason to give her 5minutes in every media regarding marvel
is so that the audience will know who it is that replaced nick fury and not some, wtf who is this chick?

yea i give up on this, the way they name drop superheros is just stupid, i don't think series even has anything to do with joss whendon and it was just his way of getting his brother and sister in law, in the business (cool for his family and financial outlook, sucks for us fans). i even read somewhere the brits relationship are modelled after the brother and sister in law.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Yes, that is correct. Now plot wise this is not currently possible agent Coulson is dead to the Avengers and Earth's mightiest heroes don't particularly like being screwed with which kind of writes them out of the show for now. The reveal that Coulson is alive will happen in a movie and not the t.v. show. There is a very practical reason to keep the big guys out of the show too, they all use CG that is simply too expensive for that show to afford currently. Add to that that none of the Avengers are in communication with SHIELD or particularly like being under Nick Fury's thumb so there is absolutely no reason for them to be hanging around and whoever is funding SHIELD didn't seem to particularly like any of the Avengers, they are just too dangerous.

I think they can't kill Skye off fast enough, she's the brick and they're drowning slowly. Her skill set is redundant, the Fitzsimons can easily take over the hacking role in the show, her premise is retarded, she can hack sheild from a laptop in her van, really? really? Her parents might still be alive, give me a fucking reason to give a shit about anything to do with this character before you start trying to startle me with major reveals related to her past. All of the other characters have potential but she is just eye candy, they should write her out as soon as possible.

Making a successful television show is all about meeting expectations, I would love to see one of the supers called in when things get hairy or at least Black Widow or Hawkeye who do work with shield but none of those actors are in the budget. With that said Colbie Smulders should be in the budget and she can easily replace Skye as hot chick on the show though in a much different role, she does not agree with Nick Fury most of the time and that animosity can filter down to Coulson and his pet project. She may have obligations with How I Met Your Mother right now because somebody isn't done kicking that particular dead horse, seriously that show has lasted at least 4 years too long.
i understand thats the story they are using so as not to have any of the avengers show up, even though if they brought in hulk or capn america and they asked him not to tell the other avengers that coulson is alive it could still be workable. there is still nothing preventing the show from using other marvel superheroes. i really thought this show was going to be a gateway to introduce lesser known superheroes to tv viewers and help promote them for future films. nope all we got was ten episodes of avengers ad placement , terrible acting, terrible stories and nothing to look forward to after this mid season finale. does anyone give a damn about coulson's tahiti vacation?

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
it was just his way of getting his brother and sister in law, in the business (cool for his family and financial outlook, sucks for us fans).
They've co-written etc multiple things with him before this and both worked on Spartacus independent of him as well. It's not so much him trying to get them in the business as him trusting them too much to handle something he's too busy for. Along with all the other extenuating circumstances making it a boring poopfest.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
since you asked and only insulted me a little bit i will answer.
I try my best not to blatantly insult someone, but I'm sure I have from time to time. Sometimes I'm just flabbergasted at the things you (or others) say, as they seem completely out of left field to me. And at times I'm sure that causes me to rip off a dickish reply when I shouldn't. If I insulted you now or at any other time, I was out of line, and I apologize. That being said, I truly am amazed at times at how differently you view shows than most other people. I'm not saying you are wrong for thinking the way you do, but it just seems like if something doesn't conform to the way you expected it to be (lack of zombies in Walking Dead for example), that's all you can focus on. Same with this show and lack of superheroes.

if you knew this show was going to be like this, then why the hell do you keep watching?
To be quite honest, I wasn't sure what to expect when the show started. I wanted it to be chock full of superheroes too, but I sort of figured it wouldn't have many at least. Once I realized what it was going to be like, however, I made peace with it instead of continuing to watch it and rage about it not being what I wanted it to be. Aside from the fact that I don't actually hate the show (it isn't great though, I'll give you that), I just handle it differently perhaps. It seems like you take it personally that a show is "terrible" when it should have been better, whereas if something is really that bad I just move on and forget about it most of the time. Walking Dead and Lost being notable exceptions, because those were fun to tear apart. Here's some examples: I started watching Revolution, Under the Dome, Defiance, The Following, and several others I can't remember. I probably posted comments and thoughts early on. The shows were not holding my interest one bit after a few weeks though, so instead of clicking on them and posting how terrible I thought the shows were week after week, I just stopped clicking them. Vanished, out of my mind. (Notable exception being How I Met Your Mother I suppose, but I don't think a single person likes that show anymore, and it is sort of like a pity party to talk about it together.)

Perhaps you do that too, but there are certain shows that you seem to linger in, week after week, telling us how you are about to stop watching...just stop then. You can't though, because you keep arguing with the rest of us that if it were only the way you wanted it to be, it would be awesome. First, it isn't the way you want it to be, and probably never will be. Second...awesome to you perhaps, maybe not to the rest of us.

So to answer your question, with the notable exception of HIMYM, you wouldn't even think to ask me the question of why I keep watching a show, because if I dislike it that much, I DO stop watching it, I just don't announce it to the world. If I keep watching, that means I find the show good enough to be worth my time for whatever reason. Sure I wish it were better, we all do. But it is still good enough for me to watch.

You're entitled to do whatever you want, post whatever you want, etc. I just don't know why you torture yourself like this. Unless of course you actually enjoy arguing against the majority of the board on TV shows and movies. Maybe you relish your notoriety (I think you might a little), or are just trolling (I personally don't believe you are), or are secretly a studio programming exec conducting studies on us. Who knows? But it seems like, if these shows really bother you as much as you claim they do, the best course of action for you would be to stop watching them, stop watching YouTube videos of people hating them, and just move on to something you actually like.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
this year i consciously decided i would stop watching the following, dexter, the killing and cold winter sun. i inadvertently stopped watching revolution and sleepy hollow, they arent terrible shows, but they werent good enough to make me remember to keep watching. the only show i can think of that i relented and came back to was walking dead. that was for 3 reasons. one i love me zombies, 2 i had no shows on sunday 9pm to watch and 3 im ashamed to say i am liking season 3. its still terrible melodrama, but things arehappening. the story is moving along at an almost decent pace and they are focusing on people that arent named rick. when dudes say they are going to war the next episode they go to war. they dont spend 7 episodes talking about it.

i have not said i am completely done with AoS, though after what you said that the show is going to be a huge superhero cocktease i really should stop now. the show totally misrepresented itself or it seems that way to me. i am still on the fence. i will give their return episode a looksee. find out about couslon's tahiti vacation then i will decide if there is anything salvageable

-edit
i wasnt insulted, i have a thick skin, but i usually dont bother responding to people who only posted to insult me and didnt really wish to debate anything i posted. since you took the time to respond it was only fair i give you a decent reply. i care about some things, zombies of course, superhero stuff, yes. i do make grandiose statements just because i like to be a ballbuster. i also can see other arguments people dont always see or think worth mentioning. so i try not to hold back. in text it tend to come across like i overreact to everything and am some kind of asshole nitpicker. but just because i mention something egregious to me doesnt mean im so mad i have to out and kill 2 day old puppies over it. if it sparks discussion then it livens up the thread and we can all fun killing time on a boring ass day.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
How are you two not 69ing by now? Too much foreplay.

To be quite honest, I wasn't sure what to expect when the show started. I wanted it to be chock full of superheroes too, but I sort of figured it wouldn't have many at least.
My expectation and really my hope was that the show would essentially be a lower stakes version of the comic bookPowers. Normal human "cops" that have to work on super power/supernatural related crimes. I didn't expect to really see any heroes and almost no established villains. I just wanted cool cases with a superhero bent to them. Castle where his outrageous theories might actually be real, basically. Someone killed in a locked cell and we're stumped? Call in the Agents of SHIELD investigative crew and they'll find the murderer who can walk through walls. Superpower conspiracy theorist found with his arms and legs ripped off? Bring in the Agents and they'll find the low tier bad guy with enhanced strength(here's where the centipede shit could even fit in for an overall story arc).

Stuff like that. Not this random bullshit-of-the-week. I don't expect Hulk and Cap to be teaming up with them because my brain functions are slightly higher than a 5th grader's. I just expected/hoped/prayed for a better show.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
My problem with the show isn't with the basic concept, but with the lack of soul. It feels like it was conceived by marketers and is being written by a focus group. Everything about the show is just so bland and vanilla in order to appeal to the largest common denominator of viewer. It seems like every character, every action, and every line of dialogue is run through a bureaucratic filter of important suit-and-tie soandsos.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I wonder what would happen to the ratings if the word "Marvel" was completely removed from the reality of this show. Would people continue watching a show based on how it was presented in the first season if it had nothing to do with the Marvel Universe. Everyone keeps mentioning the idea that the "Super" heroes were never meant to be a part of this show. Then why even make a show around the idea of Super Heroes. Make a show around a group of government agents who explore abnormal events that eventually lead to the idea that man is changing into something more powerful and super hero like. It could easily have a story Arc that describes how foreign governments have been aware of this change and have been taking advantage of it.

As I have already said, if you have a premise of a Universe that has Super powered beings, then those beings must occasionally make an appearance or otherwise do not bother with the universe. I watch T.V. for enjoyment and as a way to witness something that I could never witness under normal circumstances. If the characters of this show acted a little better or were directed a bit better with a better story line, I could forgive not having the occasional cameo of the very Super Heroes that Agents of Shield are supposed to be backing up. At least "Charlie" of Charlie's angels talked to them....

Goatface

super villain to appear soonish
ABC and Marvel Entertainment have announced that the upcoming 12th episode of "Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." will not only see the return of Ian Quinn as played by David Conrad, but will see the series debut of Donnie Gill, who long time Iron Man fans will know as the super villain "Blizzard."

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah man, Henry Cavill is just too big for television.

You know Ruffalo is an Oscar nominated and critically acclaimed actor, right? He's got zero reason to do a shitty TV show.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
very true. you would never see oscar winners like Jessica Lange, Kevin Costner, Kathy Bates, Robin Williams or Tom Hanks doing TV shows.

Ganthorn

N00b
Yeah man, Henry Cavill is just too big for television.

You know Ruffalo is an Oscar nominated and critically acclaimed actor, right? He's got zero reason to do a shitty TV show.
What I don't understand is you would think it can't take that long to film a small part for one episode. I would think the execs could point out that it is good for everyone to help with their branding.

Kaio

Bronze Knight of the Realm
very true. you would never see oscar winners like Jessica Lange, Kevin Costner, Kathy Bates, Robin Williams or Tom Hanks doing TV shows.
Not shitty tv shows like this one. I'm surprised to see this thread get updated so often. I tried to give this show a watch but by episode 4 i realized there was no hope.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
of course its shitty, but the hulk is a marvel character and mark ruffalo is the worthless humanoid occupying his body, if they can have sameul l jackson pop in for 4 minutes to yell about plane repairs, they can spend some time to get hulk some coverage. he is the worst received of the avengers. 2 failed attempts at rebooting the franchise and only the third try did well because he was in it with other more popular supers. this show would be perfect for guys like hulk to get a boost.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Samuel L. Jackson is also a whore (no offense, Sam) and quite literally wants to appear in as many things as he possibly can, so I wouldn't be surprised if it were his own idea in the first place.