Marvel's Midnight Suns

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
A card system at this point strongly suggests a real lack of originality/innovation. Like they were early in the dev process and at a meeting they were trying to figure out how to jazz up the combat and someone was like 'hey arent card systems big right now?'.

Of course because it's Fire Axis I'll wait and see before I pronounce judgment, maybe instead of a half-assed card system to add variety to the combat they'll actually have a well fleshed out deck builder system or something. Not a deal-breaker either way, but I'd prefer bog-standard turn based strategy over a low effort card system.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
I've only preordered three games in my entire life and one of them was X-Com 2. Firaxis' X-Com team has done stellar work over the last decade and they've earned my trust well enough to not immediately start looking for reasons to assume the worst.

Was the same, then I heard that fucking awful Metallica cover. Strike one--doubts beginning.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Here is a new gameplay video release today:

Saw this announced, weeks ago, Xmen with Xcom, yes please! For me, it was the first time seeing gameplay and it made my interest fall straight off a cliff. First impression is flashy shallow console trash for the CoD crowd.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

I can’t wait to miss my Wolverine attacks against The Blob with a 97% chance to hit

• 1Mother of God

Raes

Vyemm Raider
All attacks hit, there's no chance to miss.

They still do a pretty bad job of explaining it, but it seems like the "card" system is just an aesthetic choice, and that there's no rng involved. Game looks good to me, although I don't really care about the Abbey/Hangout stuff. My main issue is it doesn't seem to have very much replay value at all (compared to Xcom.) That being the case, yeah, I would rather they had just made Marvel Xcom.

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
Not only is the game cards for combat but a large portion of the game is like Persona or Fire Emblem with hanging out with characters to level up a relationship for combat bonuses. This is not the game anyone expected.

• 1Seriously?

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Ah, so cool. After missions you can design a cover about it. Starts w/ a stock one for you to alter, Mills on Twitch just made this one.

1669945079542.png

• 1Cringe

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Oh good, xcom 2 post-mission photos but marvel.

what a joke
lmfao I was wondering why that feature seemed so familiar but I couldn't place it.

I feel like it makes more sense with the comic book covers than the stupid 'recruiting poster' idea.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Eclipse Credits are an in-game currency for Marvel’s Midnight Suns used to purchase premium cosmetic character skins via the in-game Marketplace. Customize the look of your Midnight Suns team and fight the legions of Lilith in style! This pack contains 1,500 Eclipse Credits. Owners of the Legendary Edition or the Season Pass already have all premium character skins and should not purchase Eclipse Credits. There are currently 23 premium cosmetic character skins available and each skin is individually available via the in-game marketplace for 300 Eclipse Credits. A maximum of 6,900 Eclipse Credits are required to obtain all 23 skins. Marvel’s Midnight Suns game required, sold separately. Premium cosmetic character skins must be used with in-game characters. Some characters may require unlocking through gameplay.

Just lol. I was hoping to be able to get a mod that autocompletes all the dumb relationship bullshit, but this sounds like the game won't be moddable. I hope I'm wrong. I wonder how many people will actually buy these cosmetics.

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Fuck those microtransactions, but I'm genuinely interested in this game.

Someone buy it and let me know if it's good so I don't have to be the test-dummy.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
4 hours in I'm enjoying it, but there's a lot of run around filler (much of it optional) some won't like between missions.

Goonsquad Officer
heh a friend came at me all "fireaxis's new game is coming out! it's made by the old devs, it focsues on X Y Z" and then "and it's based on marvel".

and my expectations and desire fell into the toilet. i like raising up a team of nobodies into being cool, not soak in the repugnant goulash of the marvel extended universe. am i to expect that the hulk is slumming it with shadowcat and the game is balanced some how? do i get to see gay ass clashing costumes from various marvel genre in one place?

oh cool it has paid skins and DRM preventing you from playing your single player game modded or ripping the skins out? heh yay.

yall let me know if it's good in the long run. right now it reads on paper like a 'masacred ma boy" scenario.

• 1Solidarity

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
am i to expect that the hulk is slumming it with shadowcat and the game is balanced some how?
From what I've seen it appears they sacrificed everything about characters' relative power levels in the name of 'balance'. Most of the enemies you face seem to be random Hydra grunts who are somehow able to defeat heroes like Captain Marvel, Hulk, Scarlet Witch, etc. who are practically god-tier in the comics, if you play poorly, jack the difficulty up, and/or just get unlucky. Hell, most of the main villains I've seen listed wouldn't stand a chance either.

Last edited:
  • 1Worf

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
From what I've seen it appears they sacrificed everything about characters' relative power levels in the name of 'balance'. Most of the enemies you face seem to be random Hydra grunts who are somehow able to defeat heroes like Captain Marvel, Hulk, Scarlet Witch, etc. who are practically god-tier in the comics, if you play poorly, jack the difficulty up, and/or just get unlucky. Hell, most of the main villains I've seen listed wouldn't stand a chance either.

The sign of a fantastic game.

Goonsquad Officer
Shit i would have preferred an un branded xmen style group of custom supes game over name brand marvel chodes