Marvel's Midnight Suns

TheAylix

Vyemm Raider

Sounds like this game is a mess. Every review I've seen points out the terrible writing, shitty performance, and sub-par graphics. Also, why is there a superhero friendship simulator in a strategy game? Who thought that would be compelling gameplay?

Shame - XCOM 2 is one of my most-played titles of all-time on Steam, so hearing Firaxis fucked this concept up so badly is disappointing.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Running missions is 8/10. It's a challenge to 3 star a mission and it's a lot of fun. The rest of the game is 1/10. Boring as fuck and takes way too long to get to the next mission.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Yeah the whole running around the 'base' business is sloppy and the character controls feel awful. Its like playing a nice game of Xcom-meets-Hearthstone and then getting thrown into Asheron's Call between missions.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Got the PS5 version. Fun bug. Got to the part with the first hangout, then did the first trial, explored all I could of the grounds, talked to several people, learned research, did training with ghost rider, started the next main quest and figured I would save before heading into the mission. Instead of saving, the game just closed. No error message, just closed. Lost about an hour and a half of running around since the last save was my previous manual save. Needs to autosave more. Odd that none of the above things created a save. Even the trial with the dogs didn't have a save after it.

On one hand, good to know that auto saves are not something to rely on. Bad thing is that if it is a common thing for saves to close the game....

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Randomly saw some people bitching about this on a discord. They said it has Denuvo plus a 5 machine activation limit? So if you have it on your PC, and a laptop, and steam deck that’s three devices down. Upgrade or change pc and laptop a couple times and limits used up?

Doesn’t seem like something that would affect most players, but first time I’ve heard of something like that. Weird if true.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Constant crashing is a Firaxis specialty, especially the console versions. I am also really tired of the whole card game within another game shit thats trending lately. What I wanted was an updated Freedom Force with Marvel characters, but instead this is a brainless deck builder form the looks of it.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
The actual game itself is a lot of fun. Just try to take a xanax before you get overwhelmed by metasystems-R-us

Flight

Molten Core Raider
For the first few hours I thought this was a bust - was comparing it to X-Com and thinking it was a mobile game with not much depth.

It gradually dawned on me how intricate the deck building and hero ability choices are. Near the beginning you think Captain Marvel is OP and all the other characters are crap. Doctor Strange seems particularly weak. Then you get his abilities to bring back two items you've used (any rarity) and to redraw the last two attacks you played. Huge game changer. Ghost Rider seems paper thin and useless then you realise how his HP mechanics work and his massive AE damage. My favourite team now is Nico, Doctor Strange and Ghost Rider and I spent the first half of my time in the game thinking all three were useless.

Lot of depth here, lots of options in hero design, massive numbers of synergies. I've got over 80 hours into it and I've only done the first three story missions as I got into levelling characters and building their decks.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
PS5 version crashes quite a bit. Seems to happen after playing for a while, and it's usually one of two things that does it. Saving or initiating a daily sparring session. It just ends the game. I did a lot of things now, and tried to save before sparring and it crashed. It's really annoying because it autosaves when you finish a mission and hit the night part, but it doesn't save again until you activate a mission. So anything done during the night, and then day, gets lost. Night "trials" don't get auto saves after them either, so need to redo them too. For the Venom fight in the tunnels earlier on, I did that, all cut scenes, explored at night, did the day stuff, wanted to save to log off, and it crashed. Reloading put me into the last turn of the Venom fight.

Other than that, I am really enjoying it. Enjoying the talking part of it more than I thought I would as well. Doing what Flight has been doing. Most random fights and leveling up that way. I'm only a few story missions in, where I need to find Venom. Level 13 on most characters, level 9 forge and most characters are 3+ friendship.

Cat is OP. I had just done the training missions to level up characters to 12, heard a meow and found the cat lying in the library. Usually it gives + companionship or a key, this time I got +1 level to all characters.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Flight

Molten Core Raider
Tony Bing is the man for tactics in strategy games. This vid gives a good idea about the series of options there are in upgrading attacks. They've done a really good job of capturing the heroes skill sets and personal character.

Last edited:

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
The combat in this game is really really fun after you get more heroes and abilities upgraded. It's also really difficult if you start upping the slider, but not crushingly so... makes you want to keep going while fine tuning your strategy. My only big gripe here is the "in-between" combat stuff is just so rote and hollow - I get why they were going for something like that, but it comes off as dialogue simulator 2000.

I spent like 20 hours before I decided to help Spidey in the 2nd mission of the game just grinding missions. This is definitely a "just one more battle" type game for me - it's no X-Com, but I like what they tried here combat wise and really enjoy basic fights (let alone the bigger boss/villain fights) etc. I'm not even close to the end, but I can already tell there will not be enough big "Villain" type battles, which is a shame as there is a lot of meat on the "combat" bone here

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Don't normally bother linking ZP anymore but he dug deep and found the funny again for this one.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

turbo

Molten Core Raider
I initially didn't get becasue of all the reviews saying it was buggy/broke. Gave it a shot a few days after and been playing a decent amount. Defintely reminds me abit of a cross between x-com and dragon age III.

Been grinding missions as mentioned above. I have to admit most games I hardly read dialog and even the cut scenes are sometimes a pass for me but Marvel definitely did a great job capturing the spirit of the characters. Having just binged all the marvel movies w/ my wife start to finish I really enjoy the dialog. First game in years that I played without a second monitor streaming something on netflix haha.

I wish they had added one more layer of full on gear like a traditional rpg with all sorts of stats on 6-8 different pieces of gear but outside of that I have no major complaints about the game. Its just plain ole fun....I even paused playing Tactics Ogre which I was waiting forever for to play this as it just really pulled me in.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
I've been playing it a lot this past week. The writing is not good, but the gameplay of how the abilities work and how the deck building is done is top-tier. It is absolutely possible to gimp your team if you build out their deck poorly and/or don't realize the natural synergies that exist between them.

It's also helpful that while some characters are more aligned to tank/DPS/support it isn't that cut and dried.

The only character I really don't like using is Blade and that's because it takes so long to get his whole bleed-engine going. He is, however, clutch in some missions where the bad guys will target whoever is bleeding and devour one another.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Well the last battle is an up in difficulty. Most of my characters are between 20-18, all of them that can be are level 5 friends with their ultimate, and think most have all their cards and are upgraded. All research done, everything explored. Hard missions are for the most part a breeze. To level beyond this would mean lots of grinding, which I've already done.

Last mission is at least two parts. After first there are several stages with hero +1 character per stage. A fail will restart encounter at part 2, but at stage 1. You do not get a mission select before starting it, so tip is go into the mission select first and select items you want to bring. I forgot, and as usual the random selection picks the really useless ones. Would highly avoid using any items at part one.

The problem is that you only get one revive and even at the level I am at, the character joining the stages can be oneshot since the mobs are very strong. Wouldn't be so bad if dying would restart at a wave point, but instant KO at wave 2, survive into wave 3, followed by instant KO from first hit, mission fail and restart to 50 minutes earlier is meh. Maybe it will work if I restart the entire mission and bring a rez item.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Spoiler for final mission

I went in with everyone 19-21 and after getting every character their legendary ability from the Challenge at Friend-5. I think it does a dynamic thing wherein your 4 'best' characters are the ones locked away for Phase 1. It actually started this phase for me with Wolverine / Hulk / Spiderman so I was able to kick "my" ass pretty fast just by using a Hero-10 Wolverine Legendary after Spidey had taken out all the trash with terrain attacks. Did that during two different rounds and went on to phase 2.

Phase 2 has you team up with each of the 4 'best' characters as a duo to clear out tagged targets and then use the Free ability to lock a seal. They throw a ton of shit at you, but you don't need to bother killing anything other than the 2-3 tagged bad guys in order to get the seal. The scenario 'god' buff cards are amazing and using them smartly will make or break the whole deal for ya. Once you lock a seal it clears the whole map so you start fresh with a new hero to team up with, so again focus only on the tagged guys for the most part.

In Phase 2 I ended up with: Ghost Rider, Magik, Iron Man and Captain Marvel --- which are NOT the 'best' heroes I would have chosen at all. Since I never swapped out anyone in Phase One this meant that Dr. Strange, Nico, Blade, Captain America and Scarlet Witch were benched the whole fight. This was especially annoying as the two Legendary abilities I had +'d up heading in were from Wanda and Cap.

Its important to note that the game auto-saves at the end of every round so you can always save-scum back to that autosave if things are going bad. You can also save during the battle as well and I did use that a few times especially in the Captain Marvel segment which was especially painful as her abilities scale terribly and her Legendary is trash.

I spent about 3 hours on that final battle, mostly because I was trying to plan out each turn in minute details to maximize my resources. I also finished it on Heroic-1. I imagine if you are playing at a significantly higher difficulty it would be a royal pain in the balls.

There are two 'mid-credits' scenes, by the way, so be on the look out for them. The second of which points to a very interesting direction for either DLC or a sequel.