Marvel's Midnight Suns

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This is on sale for 40 bucks. Picked it up. First hour was fun though lots of cut scenes.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm still very interested in this game, but I've decided to wait until the Season Pass is completely fleshed out and the game matures for a year+.

Hopefully, the dev team will include a few quality-of-life patches.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Qhue

Trump's Staff
FYI the Deadpool DLC (first part of Season Pass) went live yesterday.

• 1Like

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Game is hot garbage. The 20% of the game that is the tactical combat (which in itself is shallow and cookie cutter) is vastly outweighed by the 80% of the game that is woke garbage dialogue and shit game systems with 200 currencies, everything's a transaction. You can spend one currency to give yourself a bonus objective during a mission that rewards another currency! Pay for the privilege of working harder! The casting/dialogue is the typical woke situation where no white male can be portrayed as nice or good, always portrayed as an incompetent tool or shitbag. I could go on but I don't really want to. Bottom line, if you enjoy tactical combat and/or card systems (this isn't really a card system, it's just an action system -- the card stuff is incredibly shallow) then there are way better games to play. Similarly, there are probably better Marvel games to play if you're a Marvel fanboy/girl. If you ABSOLUTELY MUST HAVE a Marvel tactics game, well... that must suck for you.

I'd recommend watching a streamer you can tolerate play the game. I did that for an hour or two and by that point I had 100% concretely decided I won't buy this game. And that's coming from a place of high interest -- I wanted this game to be great. I'll just watch a streamer plod through it in the background while I work, in a train-wreck-watching manner.

I'd be very interested to know what exactly Jake Solomon was involved with in designing this game, and how much the Marvel/Disney overlords had their hands in it, if at all. After the masterpiece that was XCOM:EU/EW 2012, and decent followup of XCOM2, I'd be curious to know what exactly transpired for Jake to create this pile of sewage.

• 1Solidarity

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
I didn't think I would enjoy this at all, but I am having fun with it. I got this for free with a GPU purchase otherwise I probably wouldn't have tried it. I have like 50 hours in it at the moment. I have a hard time getting into games lately and was surprised this kept my attention. Is it top tier? No. It is fun enough for me though.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Well the last battle is an up in difficulty. Most of my characters are between 20-18, all of them that can be are level 5 friends with their ultimate, and think most have all their cards and are upgraded. All research done, everything explored. Hard missions are for the most part a breeze. To level beyond this would mean lots of grinding, which I've already done.

Last mission is at least two parts. After first there are several stages with hero +1 character per stage. A fail will restart encounter at part 2, but at stage 1. You do not get a mission select before starting it, so tip is go into the mission select first and select items you want to bring. I forgot, and as usual the random selection picks the really useless ones. Would highly avoid using any items at part one.

The problem is that you only get one revive and even at the level I am at, the character joining the stages can be oneshot since the mobs are very strong. Wouldn't be so bad if dying would restart at a wave point, but instant KO at wave 2, survive into wave 3, followed by instant KO from first hit, mission fail and restart to 50 minutes earlier is meh. Maybe it will work if I restart the entire mission and bring a rez item.
I didn't find leveling a slog. I have all the characters at 25 and just working on my last level 5 friendships for Wolvie and Scarlet Witch. I think I am still in chapter 3 of 4 as I just finished the Johnny Blaze arc.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Great game. Easily put 70 hours into it and I didn't really grind anything. The relationship building wasn't bad once you knew how to optimize it and you could just skip the dialogue if you're not big into that. I really think it didn't sell well because a bunch of people talked shit about how chatty it was, even when you could skip literally everything except combat.

• 1Picard

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I don't trust game reviews from anyone on FOH unless I've read them bitching about trannies.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'd give it 10 negative reviews if I could. 9 for not being X-Com 3 and the 10th for not being X-Com 3.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Probably the most fun game I've played in ages. Also, if you are upset it's 'woke' you clearly never read comics.

• 2Like
  • 1Pathetic

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Been holding off because I have other stuff to play but this game seems to be love it or hate it... Possible the most polarizing reviews I have seen. Every other post is this is great or this game is the worst.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
To be fair, most of the bad reviews are from people who haven't played the game.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
First impression after some free weekend time: Still not going to pay for this and anyone who supports this shit is a faggoty industry shill.

The card combat is by no means bad, in fact it's damn fun. That doesn't change the fact that no matter how much you jazz it up, cards are inescapably a budget/indy game thing and lead to the game feeling cheap. and as others have pointed out, even if the combat is quite fun, it's a very small part of the game. Retards talk about how you can just skip all the hero conversations if you want to focus on the combat, but then what the fuck am I paying for?

And then we come back around to the faggotry of putting a bunch of gorgeous looking cosmetics in the game that are cash only, and a fucking fifty dollar season pass. So on top of being a budget game fluffed up to try and justify a full price, it's some hyper aggressive monetization.

• 2Like
  • 1Faggotry

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
First impression after some free weekend time: Still not going to pay for this and anyone who supports this shit is a faggoty industry shill.

The card combat is by no means bad, in fact it's damn fun. That doesn't change the fact that no matter how much you jazz it up, cards are inescapably a budget/indy game thing and lead to the game feeling cheap. and as others have pointed out, even if the combat is quite fun, it's a very small part of the game. Retards talk about how you can just skip all the hero conversations if you want to focus on the combat, but then what the fuck am I paying for?

And then we come back around to the faggotry of putting a bunch of gorgeous looking cosmetics in the game that are cash only, and a fucking fifty dollar season pass. So on top of being a budget game fluffed up to try and justify a full price, it's some hyper aggressive monetization.
yeah totally agree. I played it last night but think I'm uninstalling today. I do not like card games. I thought it was Xcom, I don't recall xcom having cards. Anyhow Steam saved me $40 with the free weekend so that's cool and all.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
card games in the right context, i think can be fun. but it just doesn't really make any sense in this game, i don't think. there was a pretty cool little RTS card game called Battleforge that came out in 2009. it played a lot like what i imagine magic: the gathering except as an RTS would be like. you set your deck and each card represents a unit(s) or spell. each card has a mana cost and you gain mana through a sort of capture the flag type of mechanic. when you use a card it summons the unit or spell or whatever and as long as you have mana you can keep using the card.

generally i'm okay with games experimenting with mechanics to come up with something new, but i also don't like the idea of using up development time on mechanics i have zero interest in. i was interested in this game, but the cards turned me off of it, as well as the seemingly insane focus on what amounts to a relationshipless-relationship sim

Talos

Silver Baronet of the Realm
yeah totally agree. I played it last night but think I'm uninstalling today. I do not like card games. I thought it was Xcom, I don't recall xcom having cards. Anyhow Steam saved me $40 with the free weekend so that's cool and all.
Yeah not a fan of the cards either. I was expecting something else when I read it was a turn based strategy. Not really Marvel fan either so this is an easy pass.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
It's funny because the card combat is the one thing I genuinely like about the game. It's like if Slay the Spire had some long campaign of multiple attempts on the spire where you continuously managed the decks of the 4 playable characters. and the positioning/environmental stuff is a nice thing to spice it up a little.

• 1Like