Marvel's Midnight Suns

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
It's funny because the card combat is the one thing I genuinely like about the game. It's like if Slay the Spire had some long campaign of multiple attempts on the spire where you continuously managed the decks of the 4 playable characters. and the positioning/environmental stuff is a nice thing to spice it up a little.

The positioning and environmental stuff was stale in literally the second mission, when it became obvious they just sprinkled shit onto the field formulaically.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
The analogy I'm most satisfied with is that this game is like going to a big franchise steakhouse. You may have a good time and enjoy yourself, but at the end of the night that 60-100 dollar bill only got you 20-30 dollars worth of steak. Between the service, sides, drinks, etc, you can't really claim you got ripped off, but everything is a bit pricey for what you actually got and you still only got 20-30 dollars worth of steak.

This game would have done much better as a 30 dollar title with all the pointless third person downtime bullshit cut out so that it's just menus and card combat.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I was at 49 hours when I beat the main game. I'd say I got more than my share out of the money I spent on it. I enjoyed all the little things along the way.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I was at 49 hours when I beat the main game. I'd say I got more than my share out of the money I spent on it. I enjoyed all the little things along the way.
and I bet 40 of those hours were spent dicking around in the unnecessary exploration and playing the relationship game with your superhero harem. "The little things along the way" are the majority of the game. Fire Emblem did a much better job of mixing strategy with relationship management and they did it without sacrificing most of the complexity and depth of the combat.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
and I bet 40 of those hours were spent dicking around in the unnecessary exploration and playing the relationship game with your superhero harem. "The little things along the way" are the majority of the game. Fire Emblem did a much better job of mixing strategy with relationship management and they did it without sacrificing most of the complexity and depth of the combat.
Nah, the relationship game is such a a small part of it. You wake up each day, hit training, hit your coil, hit research, hit Intel all of which takes about 3 minutes and then do a mission.

I would say the exploration stuff, which I enjoyed some of the puzzles and stuff of, was less than 10 hours. It is also completely optional and you could easily beat the game without doing any of it if you wanted.

• 1Pathetic
Reactions: 1 user

Qhue

Trump's Staff
It really is a shame that this hasn't been a commercial success. I would love to see many more characters / battle scenarios

• 1Pathetic

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
This is why we can’t have nice things
Well I would think the lack of commercial success and the fact that a significant chunk of their X-Com team quit the studio over this game would make Firaxis realize they done fucked up, but the damage is done.

We gave up X-Com 3 for this.
Nah, the relationship game is such a a small part of it.
This is just a flat-out lie.

• 1Like

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Well I would think the lack of commercial success and the fact that a significant chunk of their X-Com team quit the studio over this game would make Firaxis realize they done fucked up, but the damage is done.

We gave up X-Com 3 for this.

This is just a flat-out lie.
It's not a lie though. I'm not sure how much uvh you played. As you start progressing it becomes very fluid and easy. There are activities you can do to make.it go faster but you can easily hit the levels that matter just by playing the normal game. Most of the cards you get for the challenge mode are meme worthy.

How many hours did you play the game for?

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
If you haven’t played the game for 30+ hours you’re not qualified to comment on its gameplay loop and core systems. Trust the experts.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Well I kept the free "weekend" going as long as I could but my computer had an aneurysm when I tried to put it to sleep to take a nap this afternoon.

Seems like I'm practically repeating myself here, but I admit that the gameplay was fun enough that I am sorely tempted to break my word and buy the base edition even at only a 40% discount, because god knows the 75% discount that reflects what I think the game is actually worth won't come around until at least probably 2025. Course then I'd still be stuck staring at the missing DLC and the premium currency costumes I couldn't use.

Shmoopy

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Grabbed this for half price. Still on sale.

Its Xcom + Card Game + Marvel which turns out to be pretty fun. Game looks great and quality voice acting. On sale well worth the price. :emoji_thumbsup:

From the reviews, the DLCs are only a few missions plus a character. Probably not worth grabbing unless you are gonna run new game+.

• 1Picard

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Grabbed this for half price. Still on sale.

Its Xcom + Card Game + Marvel which turns out to be pretty fun. Game looks great and quality voice acting. On sale well worth the price. :emoji_thumbsup:

From the reviews, the DLCs are only a few missions plus a character. Probably not worth grabbing unless you are gonna run new game+.

It's not at all like XCOM unless the sole defining characteristic is "tactical turn-based battles."

Shmoopy

It's not at all like XCOM unless the sole defining characteristic is "tactical turn-based battles."
Besides the cards how isn't it like Xcom?

- turn based tactical team combat
- home base hub
- recruit, level up, and gear up units
- units can get injured or be out for training for days
- story unfolds with missions of increasing difficulty
- go out on primary and optional missions
- day to day time progression
- level up base, science, tech, gear, items, etc.

Yeah they obfuscated the mechanics a bit, but the primary game XCom loop is all still there, just different.

• 1Seriously?

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Lots of games share those traits. It's more like Fire Emblem than X-Com tbh, although yes it did inevitably end up aping X-Com in quite a few ways which was likely inevitable considering the shattered remnants of the X-Com team that designed it.

You can really tell what a devastating effect the staff exodus had on the capabilities of the team because the remaining devs just were not up to the task. Game is sloppily tossed together with minimal polish or refinement. You can tell there was minimal iteration on the combat, they just got it functional (and fun, to be fair) and shoved it out the door. Characters are designed with little to no regard on how combat actually plays out and the card mod system wasn't well thought out either. With a default of only 3 actions per turn, deck design is dominated by shoving 'Quick' or 'Free' onto almost every card that can take it but those are in the rarest mod category so you could be spending hours PER CARD optimizing a deck. You can mitigate it a bit with save scumming but realistically you just HAVE to grab a mod from nexus to make card modding tolerable. Or you can just stay on baby difficulties.

Also Fyff was wrong about literally everything.

Obligatory reminder that we gave up X-Com 3 for this.

• 1Like

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If you felt like you needed to grind relationships and stuff I don't know what to tell you. I maxed them all without forcing anything through normal gameplay.

• 1Like

Shmoopy

Game is sloppily tossed together with minimal polish or refinement.
You cannot be serious. Presentation-wise this is vastly better than any Xcom game to date...

I'd say it is Chimera Squad 2.0 with a different world skin.

spronk

FPS noob
By the way about Marvel's Midnight Suns, it was released not so long ago, and is already starting to lose popularity, so I advise, especially streamers, buy Marvel's Midnight Suns and pass it while it is still relevant.

we are a forum full of top tier streamers so good advice, account with 1 post

man how shitty must your studio be if you decide to shill on FOH

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
LOL Midnight Suns wasn't popular or relevant on release day, let alone now.

• 1Truth!