Mass Effect 4(Untitled)

iannis

Musty Nester
It's gonna be a SJW meme infested rehash cashgrab. Part of chargen will probably be choosing your personal pronouns. haha.

Hey, I don't want it to be. But you know it's gonna be.

The game system is ok. Bioware just is not that company anymore.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I think I might be ok with shooting people for not using my preferred pronouns. If they tongue-in-cheek the dialogue well enough. Basically, I want more "Commander Sheppard is a jerk", and SJW Sheppard fits perfectly into that.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I used to think that, but now I don't really care anymore about the first contact war. It's not that engaging of a storyline and has no mystery.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

iannis

Musty Nester
Shooting people for not using your pronouns actually could be funny as hell. That's true.

I don't have faith in those people to be anything close to that self aware.
frown.png
I mean they took the fertility virus in ME and absolutely neutered the moral dilemma straight the fuck out of it. ME2 Mordin is still, I say, the best CRPG character in the past memorable years. I SAY YOU HE A GOOD MAN WITH AN IMPOSSIBLE CHOICE. They turned Anders into a terrorist and took everything interesting out of that world. Subtlety and truly probing ethical questions are too much work. It's way easier to just make everyone fags.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
This sounds like a large focus will be on finding resources which was the worst part of 2 and 3 for me.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
This sounds like a large focus will be on finding resources which was the worst part of 2 and 3 for me.
I think the exploration part should take precedence, and it'll be interesting if they introduce the player to the worlds through the players eyes and experience instead having a codex for everything in the game explaining it wiki style.

If it's painting basketballs ME2 style then I'm out. We have someone in our office that painted all the basketballs in ME2, which is a large part of the reason we gave her a job offer to do quality assurance.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
DA:I gives me some faith they might do something cool with ME especially if its a more open worlds style game. Will be nice to roll MP again too.

Rogosh

Lord Nagafen Raider
DA:I gives me some faith they might do something cool with ME especially if its a more open worlds style game. Will be nice to roll MP again too.
Lets hope they don't have the same questing as Inquisition, talk about boring.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
After DAI I actually have less confidence in Bioware being able to do an open world space game. Disclosure: I didn't beat DAI. I got halfway through and tired of trudging through so much unengaging filler content that they tried to pass off as 'open world' content.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
But this is all hidden from the player and new territory. So it's reasonable to believe that inter-galactic transportation using the relay tech is unfeasable. Even to the point where its inclusion is almost a retcon.
I'd agree on that for "ME1-3" tier relay tech - again, who's to say that the Leviathans/Reapers weren't piecing together the Relay tech based on bits and pieces of what they saw of a Precursor race having left behind. That their relay network was just "Babies First Relay" that looked awesome to us since we couldn't even understand that, but for another race ahead of them was a piece of cake.

Remember even within the Milky Way relays we had variation with the Omega relay and the Citadel itself.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I agree, it's not too big of a stretch that they lose credibility in going that route. It's just a barrier that shouldn't be understated from both a technical and storytelling perspective.

I talked about why it's a big fucking deal from a storytelling perspective above that boils down to: the ultimate race we know, the reapers, aren't from another galaxy and don't talk about going to another galaxy so there's a bit of a paradox. If the answer to that is, "Oh suddenly traveling across galaxies now is a thing." it has to be done carefully.

From a technical perspective the mass relays are limited in the distance they can transmit mass with. The citadel, being the biggest known mass relay, is the only one known to be able to transport mass into 'dark space' outside our solar system, and in the pictures of the reapers they are indeed in dark space and not fucking up some other galaxy.

640px-Dark_space_reapers.png

Most of the relays transmit mass on the order of thousands of light years. And the duration of the trip is related to the distance. They aren't wormholes ala Interstellar, so any trip to another galaxy would be constrained by this fact.

Just to put it into perspective, earth to andromeda is 2.5m light years. Earth to our nearest star, Proxima Centauri, is 4 light years. The distance from the earth to mars is .005 light years, or 5 one millionths of a light year. So in terms of distance, the ratio between traveling from Earth to Mars and traveling from Earth to Proxima Centauri is the same as travelling from Earth to Proxima Centauri and Earth to Andromeda.

In other words, saying, "Oh you send a rover to mars? You can use the same tech to go to Proxima Centauri." is as ridiculous as suggesting you use mass relays to go to Andromeda.

However, they can just wave their hand at this ala Interstellar and say "no mass relay, we use wormholes.". another classic way around this problem is to just have a fleet of spaceships travel to different parts of Andromeda in stasis mode carrying a bunch of incubatable human eggs. I think this would be more interesting because you'd have absolutely no contact with the Milky way and have to deal with the fact that everyone but you and your fleet is dead.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Also note, the whole 'we're a AAA developer backed by the top game publisher that's now leaking AAA game information through anonymous surveys' is really dubious to me.

Their whole pre-release marketing HYPE HYPE HYPE machine is all based on being able to slowly trickle information to the public. Just laying it bare like tits on a stripper handicaps them, and being so specific is totally unnecessary.

spronk

FPS noob
Also note, the whole 'we're a AAA developer backed by the top game publisher that's now leaking AAA game information through anonymous surveys' is really dubious to me.

Their whole pre-release marketing HYPE HYPE HYPE machine is all based on being able to slowly trickle information to the public. Just laying it bare like tits on a stripper handicaps them, and being so specific is totally unnecessary.
they did the same surveys with DA:I (thats how the game info leaked) so i think its credible in this case, but yeah we won't really know until E3
Dragon Age 3 survey leaks Inquisitor-hero story, and art Eurogamer.net

The surveys aren't about changing the game which is pretty much locked in stone at this point, but figuring out what beats resonate with consumers better for marketing/trailers/etc. So they ask "what is more exciting to you, A or B" etc. I've done a few for stuff like soft drinks and alcohol.

What I think will be interesting is what effect No Mans Sky may have on it. It has a lot of the fundamental basic cool ideas we love in Mass Effect - exploring, resources, alien worlds, etc without the scaffolding of a big giant story and galactic soap opera themes.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
The game system is ok. Bioware just is not that company anymore.
So much this. All they do is pander now. It's no wonder Drew left and without him involved, I don't want anything to do with this franchise anymore. Especially after the debacle of 3.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
From a technical perspective the mass relays are limited in the distance they can transmit mass with. The citadel, being the biggest known mass relay, is the only one known to be able to transport mass into 'dark space' outside our solar system, and in the pictures of the reapers they are indeed in dark space and not fucking up some other galaxy.
The Alpha Relay from the Arrival DLC is also capable of receiving/sending into dark space and it's no bigger than any other mass relay, so the size of the citadel has nothing to do with it. Presumably the Alpha Relay is aimed at paired relay floating out somewhere in the intergalactic gulf where the Reapers hang out in between purges.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
1652216927208.png

"While Shepard and the survivors are left to pick up the pieces, fans are left wondering what's next."

"The threat of the Reapers might have been ended, but at great cost including Earth itself. While the survivors are left to pick up the pieces, fans are left wondering what's next."

Not exactly huge news, but sounds like a plot I'd like.

• 4Like
  • 1Hodjing
Reactions: 4 users