Mass Effect 4(Untitled)

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
After things like Javik and Capcom's on disc DLC BS I don't blame anyone for not trusting day 1 dlc.

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
Bro, ME3 is utter dog shit and not worth any money.
Honestly I wouldn't put it in the "utter dogshit" category (I regret the money I spent on POE more than I regret the money I spent on ME3, and neither game is a complete failure). Definitely the worst of the series even without the ending, but ME2 is just too damn short. It is, for the most part, amazing, but both times I played it I finished and was just left itching for more Mass Effect (the first time there was a definite "wait, that's all there is?" feeling at the end), and replays can only go so far. First time I finished ME2 I just picked up #3 without checking the reviews cause I wanted to keep the vibe going, and second time I figured I should at least give it a chance with the DLC's - but Origin doesn't want my money, so fuck it.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I worked on a game where there were delays getting the main game through approval, and the first dlc pack ended up being approved right after the game shipped, so it was like week 1 dlc.

If the main game is worth the price, why is a developer not allowed to have allocated development assets to getting dlc packs ready to go on day 1? As long as it's not content that was obviously ripped out of the main game like Javik (and maybe Shale), who cares? Developers are under no obligation to cram every last bit of content into the game that they can. Most DLC (not all) is content that wouldn't have made it into the game in the first place if DLC hadn't become a thing.
Of course theyre not. They just shouldnt bitch and moan and ask why their game is being pirated and why they end up with a shitty reputation.

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
The thing that really puts me off DLC's is that they've pretty much replaced expansion packs. We used to play through a game, wait 6 - 12 months, then we'd get an expansion pack which would heap an extra 20 - 30% content on the top in a cohesive whole which you could continue on with from your endgame save - Lord of Destruction, Dark Portal/Frozen Throne, Brood War, Tales of the Sword Coast/Throne of Bhaal, all the HOMM xpacs, . Now we spend just as much money, but it's divided into $10 for a new party member here, $15 for a new questline there - none of it is tied together in any thematic sense, it's generally all useless unless you do a replay and the actual total amount of extra gameplay time is maybe half, at best, what the old xpacks used to give us.

DLC's, first day or otherwise, are all about maximum profit for minimum effort. And that's not even touching on the ones which are just $5/10 for OP gear sets or cosmetic changes which they probably had some intern put together in a single caffeine fueled night.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I worked on a game where there were delays getting the main game through approval, and the first dlc pack ended up being approved right after the game shipped, so it was like week 1 dlc.

If the main game is worth the price, why is a developer not allowed to have allocated development assets to getting dlc packs ready to go on day 1? As long as it's not content that was obviously ripped out of the main game like Javik (and maybe Shale), who cares? Developers are under no obligation to cram every last bit of content into the game that they can. Most DLC (not all) is content that wouldn't have made it into the game in the first place if DLC hadn't become a thing.
I understand that the game cycle makes this a little awkward in that many developers, especially the writers, sound, art, level designers etc, move on from a core game long before it's published. However my thought is that the game's release represents the totality of what that developer has when it's released. So if they have their "Mass Effect Developers" who finish the core game and move onto DLC, if that DLC comes out at day 1, the publisher should include it in the game or make it free.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
. So if they have their "Mass Effect Developers" who finish the core game and move onto DLC, if that DLC comes out at day 1, the publisher should include it in the game or make it free.
Why? They have X amount of man hours allocated to the budget for the main game and X amount of man hours allocated for DLC.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Bands don't make B-sides and release them separately for money the same day their album comes out with the excuse it was something recorded at another location with another team (Which it often is). And if they did, it wouldn't be half as egregious as taking away critical plot points unless you pay us a little extra money.

It's just a lazy excuse for "we want more money". Gamers (myself included) are the only ones retarded enough to let companies get away with creating separate teams during the original production to MAKE MORE MONEY off the original production.

spronk

FPS noob
could be bullshit but someone on reddit claims they filled out a survey for an unnamed bioware game asking about various story branches, dragon age inquisition plot leaked a month before game reveal in the same way. We'll probably get a full reveal at E3 in <2 months.
Last Month I Took a Random Survey About Mass Effect 4. Here Is What I Found Out : masseffect

spoilers for plot/setting
NARRATIVE:
Premise: Set in the Helius Cluster of the Andromeda Galaxy, removed by time and space from the Mass Effect "Commander Shepard" trilogy and its ending. Play as a "Pathfinder" explorer leading expedition with the aim of establishing new home for humanity. Encounter "savage untamed lands", "cut-throat outlaws", and "warring alien races" in an effort to survive and colonize. Andromeda is home to a mysterious alien race, the Remnants, who've left their vaults and ancient technology throughout.

Game Objective: Explore 100s of solar systems (over 4x size of Mass Effect 3) collecting resources, developing your ship, crew, and arsenal, while engaging in diplomacy in order to set up colonies, while discovering the mystery behind the Remnants and racing to secure their technology.

New Species: Remnants, an ancient race who've left ruins and technology throughout the galaxy. And Khet, seemingly antagonistic.

Squadmates: Same as previous games: make friends, take two with you on missions. Cora is able to generate biotic shields you can fire out of. Drack is a Krogan.

Loyalty Missions: Same as previous games: complete to unlock increased loyalty and new skill tree for that character. Example: Krogan colony ship has been stolen by outlaws. Track down the ship and return it to increase loyalty with Drack. Dialogue trees and end game impacted by loyalty status.

Dialogue: "Meaningful choices". Deeper control over responses, such as interrupting conversation. Action based choices are physical choices to shape the course of conversation, such as pulling out a weapon and forcing them to open a door instead of attempting to do so purely via conversation.

EXPLORATION/CUSTOMISATION
Tempest Starship: Pilotable ship to discover 100s of solar systems. Customisable with trophies/loot/photos taken through the galaxy. Transition between flying ship, to landing on planet, to driving Mako, to getting out on foot, all seamless with no loading screens.

Mako Vehicle: Upgradeable with turbo boost, shield generator, hostile detector, etc. Customisable paint job.

Planets: 100s of surfaces to explore, for discovering places to colonise, and alien vaults/outputs to conquer.

Colonies: Build settlements on habitable planets. Able to decide what type of settlement for bonuses. EG: Recon Settlements will clear fog of war on space map and offer more strike team missions, meanwhile Mining Settlements will periodically supply crafting materials.

Blueprints: Allow you to craft alien technology using materials for better equipment and weapons, such as a jetpack for jumping, cryo-beam to target enemies, etc.

Crew: Customisable skill trees, gear, weapons, etc.

MISSIONS TYPES AND MULTIPLAYER:
Remnant Vault Raids: Ancient ruins in two variants. Standard: Accessed by finding and activating Remnant Monoliths, explored to find a "powerful artefact". Acquiring artefact triggers defence systems: robots, traps, and restructured layout. Rewards with valuable loot, crafting resources, and Star Keys. Orbital Facilities: Unlocked with Star Keys, provide permanent stat bonuses, and optional higher difficulty vault raids that add Khet patrols and outlaws. Rewards with rare loot and narrative acclaim.

Khet Outposts: Optional wave-based combat challenges that reward with XP, reduced Khet power and additional narrative options in the region if destroyed.

Strike Team: Spend resources to recruit mercenaries and develop AI controlled strike teams to be deployed on randomly generated, time sensitive missions. Include settlement defence and remnant artefact recovery. Strike Teams return 20 - 30 minutes later with XP, currency, and equipment depending on mission outcome. Spend money/resources to train Strike Team, and buy better equipment, to increase success rate and send on dangerous missions.

Active Strike Team: See above, however you can choose to complete the Strike Team mission manually via play using your multiplayer roster of characters. Able to play co-op with friends, more friends increasing difficulty and rewards. Bonus rewards for joining another players strike team mission. XP, loot, and customisation rewards for Strike Team played characters are cohesive with multiplayer specific horde mode.

Horde Mode: Similar to Mass Effect 3: four players against waves of enemies with additional objectives such as disabling a bomb or assassinating a target. Similar XP/loot rewards to Mass Effect 3. APEX funds earned to be used in single player.

i want to believe, sounds awesome and sort of tracks with the hints they have revealed in the past.

Budos

Golden Knight of the Realm
could be bullshit but someone on reddit claims they filled out a survey for an unnamed bioware game asking about various story branches, dragon age inquisition plot leaked a month before game reveal in the same way. We'll probably get a full reveal at E3 in <2 months.
Last Month I Took a Random Survey About Mass Effect 4. Here Is What I Found Out : masseffect

spoilers for plot/setting
NARRATIVE:
Premise: Set in the Helius Cluster of the Andromeda Galaxy, removed by time and space from the Mass Effect "Commander Shepard" trilogy and its ending. Play as a "Pathfinder" explorer leading expedition with the aim of establishing new home for humanity. Encounter "savage untamed lands", "cut-throat outlaws", and "warring alien races" in an effort to survive and colonize. Andromeda is home to a mysterious alien race, the Remnants, who've left their vaults and ancient technology throughout.

Game Objective: Explore 100s of solar systems (over 4x size of Mass Effect 3) collecting resources, developing your ship, crew, and arsenal, while engaging in diplomacy in order to set up colonies, while discovering the mystery behind the Remnants and racing to secure their technology.

New Species: Remnants, an ancient race who've left ruins and technology throughout the galaxy. And Khet, seemingly antagonistic.

Squadmates: Same as previous games: make friends, take two with you on missions. Cora is able to generate biotic shields you can fire out of. Drack is a Krogan.

Loyalty Missions: Same as previous games: complete to unlock increased loyalty and new skill tree for that character. Example: Krogan colony ship has been stolen by outlaws. Track down the ship and return it to increase loyalty with Drack. Dialogue trees and end game impacted by loyalty status.

Dialogue: "Meaningful choices". Deeper control over responses, such as interrupting conversation. Action based choices are physical choices to shape the course of conversation, such as pulling out a weapon and forcing them to open a door instead of attempting to do so purely via conversation.

EXPLORATION/CUSTOMISATION
Tempest Starship: Pilotable ship to discover 100s of solar systems. Customisable with trophies/loot/photos taken through the galaxy. Transition between flying ship, to landing on planet, to driving Mako, to getting out on foot, all seamless with no loading screens.

Mako Vehicle: Upgradeable with turbo boost, shield generator, hostile detector, etc. Customisable paint job.

Planets: 100s of surfaces to explore, for discovering places to colonise, and alien vaults/outputs to conquer.

Colonies: Build settlements on habitable planets. Able to decide what type of settlement for bonuses. EG: Recon Settlements will clear fog of war on space map and offer more strike team missions, meanwhile Mining Settlements will periodically supply crafting materials.

Blueprints: Allow you to craft alien technology using materials for better equipment and weapons, such as a jetpack for jumping, cryo-beam to target enemies, etc.

Crew: Customisable skill trees, gear, weapons, etc.

MISSIONS TYPES AND MULTIPLAYER:
Remnant Vault Raids: Ancient ruins in two variants. Standard: Accessed by finding and activating Remnant Monoliths, explored to find a "powerful artefact". Acquiring artefact triggers defence systems: robots, traps, and restructured layout. Rewards with valuable loot, crafting resources, and Star Keys. Orbital Facilities: Unlocked with Star Keys, provide permanent stat bonuses, and optional higher difficulty vault raids that add Khet patrols and outlaws. Rewards with rare loot and narrative acclaim.

Khet Outposts: Optional wave-based combat challenges that reward with XP, reduced Khet power and additional narrative options in the region if destroyed.

Strike Team: Spend resources to recruit mercenaries and develop AI controlled strike teams to be deployed on randomly generated, time sensitive missions. Include settlement defence and remnant artefact recovery. Strike Teams return 20 - 30 minutes later with XP, currency, and equipment depending on mission outcome. Spend money/resources to train Strike Team, and buy better equipment, to increase success rate and send on dangerous missions.

Active Strike Team: See above, however you can choose to complete the Strike Team mission manually via play using your multiplayer roster of characters. Able to play co-op with friends, more friends increasing difficulty and rewards. Bonus rewards for joining another players strike team mission. XP, loot, and customisation rewards for Strike Team played characters are cohesive with multiplayer specific horde mode.

Horde Mode: Similar to Mass Effect 3: four players against waves of enemies with additional objectives such as disabling a bomb or assassinating a target. Similar XP/loot rewards to Mass Effect 3. APEX funds earned to be used in single player.

i want to believe, sounds awesome and sort of tracks with the hints they have revealed in the past.
The multiplayer integration sounds dope.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The idea of a totally separate storyline doesn't appeal to me that much, the rest sounds decent.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
The idea of a totally separate storyline doesn't appeal to me that much, the rest sounds decent.
I'm sure it will follow after the ME3 stargazer ending, Shep saving the galaxy long in the past and humanity having advanced far further into Andromeda thanks only to all the extra time he gave.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm sure it will follow after the ME3 stargazer ending, Shep saving the galaxy long in the past and humanity having advanced far further into Andromeda thanks only to all the extra time he gave.
WTF? Would have to be pretty goddamn far into the future for humanity to have actually crossed an intergalactic gulf without the aid of mass relays. With the FTL drives on their ships it would take thousands of years and require self sufficient generation ships to make the journey.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
WTF? Would have to be pretty goddamn far into the future for humanity to have actually crossed an intergalactic gulf without the aid of mass relays. With the FTL drives on their ships it would take thousands of years and require self sufficient generation ships to make the journey.
Unless that new precursor race had some amped up Relay equivalent. The relay knowledge kept getting changed with who invented it anyhow as you followed the early lore. First Protheans invented it, then you find out they just borrowed it from the Reapers, then you find out the Leviathans made it first then the Reapers co-opted it.

Wouldn't be too much of a stretch to how they've already stretched it to add "...but the Leviathans stole the designs of Remnant tech to design the relays, but the relays were just their "local roads" version"

In fact, if they're going to get the "Mass" back into "Mass Effect" seems a pretty likely way for a quick logical reboot.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
Alternate theory: There was a trans-galactic mass relay stuck next to Sagittarius A* and the colonists all set off before ME3 fucked over the Milky Way so they're now stuck in Andromeda. Basically this is Bioware "solving" the ME3 clusterfuck the only way they can - ignore it and hope it goes away. Wouldn't surprise me if Bioware never get back to "what happened next".

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Wouldn't surprise me if Bioware never get back to "what happened next".
Not sure what you mean, the events after ME3 are spelled out in enough detail for a reasonable person. Especially in the control/synthesis endings the species involved do just fine.

As for the idea of going to a new galaxy.... I guess I like it. I really don't want to step foot on the citadel again. And I don't want the big bad to be one of the races we already know about and a newly discovered big bad race would be silly. Unless it's theYahg. Humans are often portrayed as the brutal, sly and resourceful race that enters a new domain and takes it over through our humanistic willpower and desire for conquest. It'd be interesting to supplant the humans with the Yahg. Especially if the theme is, "We're just like humans, only better.". Only problem is the Yahg look kind of stupid. Like they made a model out of a 5 year olds drawing. And everything but the Yahgs would feel samey.

I think the only way they can recreate the feeling of Mass Effect 1 is if they do a reboot on this galactic level. Unfortunately I feel like ME3 was riding the coattails of ME2, which was just a polished iteration on ME1. So if they remove all the lore, structure, characters and locations of ME1 I feel like we'll end up with content on the same level of the Star Child and Kai Lang.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
And I wouldn't be too quick to judge Gavin on being surprised that they breached inter-galactic space. The divide between galaxies has been a strong assumption in the Mass Effect universe.

The big theme in ME is that a sentient species will increase its technological advancement until it gets too powerful and gets really fucky. It will turn itself into atype 3+ speciesor spawn an AI that does the same. And that will possibly extinguish all life in the galaxy, then the universe.

For the Milky Way, theFermi Paradoxis basically answered. One of the first intelligent species (Leviathans) gave birth to the reapers, which were made to solve the problem of organics fighting synthetics. The reapers eviscerated the Leviathans then implemented their solution: Kill all synthetics and organics when they got too advanced. Problem solved.

But that paradox isn't answered on the universal scale. Not only is the possibility that there are a much, much more powerful species in other galaxies, but there is also the possibility that the Reapers would want to venture to other galaxies to 'protect' them or just get better organic matter or technology. It's also possible that the reapers did this off-screen.

But this is all hidden from the player and new territory. So it's reasonable to believe that inter-galactic transportation using the relay tech is unfeasable. Even to the point where its inclusion is almost a retcon.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Oh and another interesting possibility that I feel would give the series some good scifi credibility is if they discovered an entire galactic civilization in the milky way that was not only larger than the Leviathan/repear-based one, but was completely unaware of that civilization.

If you looked at the number of stars the Reapers visited in the Milky Way in their billion year reign you may get a number in the hundreds of thousands. Maybe a million. But with 100 billion stars in the milky way, two random selections of 1 million stars could very much result in completely unique sets.

However from a storytelling standpoint this idea would be very unbelievable because it'd just be some stuff pulled out of the ass of Bioware writers rather than having been set up before hand.