Mass Effect 4(Untitled)

Palum

what Suineg set it to
The problem is that the ending basically destroys the ME universe and makes continuing the universe in any meaningful way nearly impossible.
Reminds me of dumb ass Deus Ex ending.

Tuco is right though, why the fuck did they stray from a simple heroic character arc here? Leave Reapers as goddamn terrifying force of nature. Shepard uses human ingenuity to cobble together the pieces of all the ancient races that tried in desperation to oppose them - ultimately he finds a way to keep the gate system up and the universe says fuck you to the Reapers. Make badass flying into the sunset epilogue and... done.

Sometimes I don't need some M Night Shamalyamadlamadn crap, I just want a straight good guy beating the righteous shit out of the bad guys to a good soundtrack.

Jarnin_sl

shitlord
i remember one of the original theories (pre ME3 release) that dark matter was causing stars to burn out, and that some sort of intelligence was behind extinguishing all the stars in our galaxy - perhaps the Reapers, or perhaps the Reapers were a tool to fight against it. It was supported by one of the missions in ME2, where you go help Talia investigate a planet on the Fringe where the star is collapsing.
That wasn't a fan theory,that was what Drew Karpyshyn originally intended for the end of ME3. The problem is that that ending would have sucked even more than what we got. You'd end up with only two choices: Allow the Reapers to harvest humanity to save the universe, or deny them the harvest and the universe is destroyed.

What I'm really hoping for is Bioware to pull a J. Michael Straczynski and figure out the broad strokes for the entire seriesbeforethe first game is released. That way they're not having to pull shit out of their ass each time they release a game, and then get stuck on the ending.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
That wasn't a fan theory,that was what Drew Karpyshyn originally intended for the end of ME3. The problem is that that ending would have sucked even more than what we got. You'd end up with only two choices: Allow the Reapers to harvest humanity to save the universe, or deny them the harvest and the universe is destroyed.
Why would those be the only 2 possible endings? The entire point would have been to find a 3rd option. You could also make future ME games revolve around finding a way to prevent the stars from going out after the immediate threat, The Reapers, were eliminated.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I never really liked the dark matter plot because the enemy wasn't tangible enough. I'd much rather fight Super-Geth(reapers) than watch Liara throw a deus ex machina macguffin into a dead star or whatever.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Sometimes I don't need some M Night Shamalyamadlamadn crap, I just want a straight good guy beating the righteous shit out of the bad guys to a good soundtrack.
So much this. That's why Top Gun is such a classic. Kenny Loggins and "Maverick is reengaging, sir!".

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
The whole problem of reapers is that they explained them. Sovereign scene in ME1 was some of the best moments in gaming. In ME2 you see a dead reaper driving people mad just by mere existence. All they really needed to do was you to drive them away for this cycle and you have an eternal enemy watching your every step and you can try to sleep knowing they will be back. But no, you can just point a sufficiently big gun at them and press trigger.

Unknown is way more scary than the known, best example is probably Valve and Half-life - Combine and the aliens are largely unexplained, but when they show up, shit hits the fan and you know Earth is helpless against them. Japanese horror and western horror are also decent examples, with the eastern culture relying more on your imagination and your own fears, whereas west has yet to grow tired of "Not scary enough ?" Then I guess we need more zombies" It's not scary if you can shoot it in the face.

They have destroyed one of the best antagonists in gaming in the last generation
frown.png

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I loved all 3 Mass Effect games and the universe they created. To act like Casey Hudson's only contribution was to 'fuck it all up' is total lunacy. Make him a pariah like George Lucas if you want, but there are more level-headed fans out their that can take the bad with the good, and at the end of the day, appreciate the entire product as a whole.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I loved all 3 games, each did some things better and worse than the others. Really hated the original ending, and still fairly unhappy with the "long ending".

I really think the game should have been set afterwards. The galaxy is in chaos and its a perfect time for organizations or races to take over.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I loved all 3 games, each did some things better and worse than the others. Really hated the original ending, and still fairly unhappy with the "long ending".

I really think the game should have been set afterwards. The galaxy is in chaos and its a perfect time for organizations or races to take over.
Take over what exactly? The Mass Relays were destroyed. Nobody is going anywhere, galactic civilization is over. Ship based ftl drives are too slow to travel between star clusters.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

Fuck ya that is what I'm saying.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
You could easily make a single solar system interesting with enough locales in it, or a cluster.

You could also say that the mass relays that were never activated in this cycle didn't get destroyed, have a deep space expedition to find them, and have some previously unknown, pre-element zero-discovering civilization in that system. A whole game or even trilogy about first contact with a race that has non-elemental zero based technology.

Jarnin_sl

shitlord
Take over what exactly? The Mass Relays were destroyed. Nobody is going anywhere, galactic civilization is over. Ship based ftl drives are too slow to travel between star clusters.
Well, this isn't really the case. If you played ME3 without the extended cut DLC, then yeah, you might have that impression if you ended with the destroy choice. In fact it was one of the (several) reasons Bioware put out the extended cut DLC.

If you finish the game with the EC DLC, then it shows the relays being repaired, or talks about repairing them in every outcome (except the harvest continuing ending, since they didn't get blown up in that one).

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Wasn't there a whole bunch of shit about the Protheans and their experiments to create their own relay system only the Reapers found out? I mean, it's not too much a stretch to have one of the council races go 'oh yea, the orange wire goes in THIS side!' and finish the project and start reconnecting shit.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
That was the funniest part of the whole ending saga. The fans figured out straight away that nuking the gates pretty much meant the end of the Mass Effect universe and Bioware went "Huh?" and then started trying to backpedal away from what their own story had shown.

Reasons ME3 screwed up, no. 1435 in a series: they turned the Geth from a cool race of "We don't mind you meatbags, we're just happier being a set of distributed programs on a bunch of servers with drone bodies" robot into boring generic cyber-pinoccios who wanted to be just like organics.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Reasons ME3 screwed up, no. 1435 in a series: they turned the Geth from a cool race of "We don't mind you meatbags, we're just happier being a set of distributed programs on a bunch of servers with drone bodies" robot into boring generic cyber-pinoccios who wanted to be just like organics.
Actually, I used to agree with this criticism, but now I think it's sort of fine. It's not that they wanted to be just like organics, it's that Legion suddenly presented them with this opportunity out of left field to all become true AIs, and they decided to take it.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
That was the funniest part of the whole ending saga. The fans figured out straight away that nuking the gates pretty much meant the end of the Mass Effect universe and Bioware went "Huh?" and then started trying to backpedal away from what their own story had shown.

They fucked the geth up completely. The first two games set them up as evidence organics and AI can coexist just for the ending to say "nope lol" out of nowhere