Mass Effect: Andromeda - Autism reaches outer space

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The question is, would you rather they put a teams focus and effort into...

1. A well-made, Remaster of the first 3 games, where everyone was pretty much satisfied with their graphical updates, interface, and quality of life choices?​
or​
2. Roll the dice with a new ME game?​

I think I would just take a good Remaster. I have no confidence that they could make a new ME game anymore that wasn't a disaster.

• 2Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>

1. A well-made, Remaster of the first 3 games, where everyone was pretty much satisfied with their graphical updates, interface, and quality of life choices?​
or​

I think I would just take a good Remaster. I have no confidence that they could make a new ME game anymore that wasn't a disaster.

They can't do a "good" remaster.

If they have to come up with the money to add fancy GFX, they'll have to split the game in episodes, reduce the number of features, ... all kinds of shit to draw more profit from the same game.

FF7 was a masterpiece when it originally launched, probably the biggest game on the market at the time, with top level cut-scenes, great music, every aspect was AAA+, nowhere did they save money.

Making such an AAA+ game is no longer possible in 2020. They have to milk money through DLC, episodic content, subscriptions, ... all that because the profit margins games had 10-20 years ago are no longer acceptable these days.

Industry has been ruined. The only exceptions are perhaps exclusives which are meant to push console sales, but even in those the trend is noticeable.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

or​

3. Decanoning ME3 and handing off its recreation of Mass Effect 3 to Obsidian Entertainment with full creative licensing.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

goishen

Macho Ma'am
Mass Effect changed the way I look at video games. It wasn't just a, "huh, look at that" either. It was a momentous shift. I have two posters on my wall, one of Liara and one of the team (minus Kasumi and Zaeed). I keep fearing that if they do a remaster, then either Kaiden or Ashley won't die in the first game, they'll just be kidnapped forever. This is because BioWare doesn't want to upset its fanbase, they want to create a safe space for all the little children. Then, miraculously Kaiden/Ashley will show back up in three with no explanation.

Ugh.

The way that I see it, One really worked out the story bits for us. Ironed out most of the kinks that we all had, when exploring a new universe. The aliens, the citadel, planets... Everything. ME2 came along and it was really time to start working on the characters. Both of them really did their jobs. It was time to start caring about these characters.

Then, ME3 came out and well.. It passed the smell test, but that didn't mean that it didn't shit the bed.

And ME:A came. Whew. We won't even talk about that game. Good god.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I am going to go against the grain here and poop on two a little bit. Outside of the companion interactions, it really did not do much story wise. There was some propped up booheyman villian you never really interacted with (Collecters, Harbinger I think?) and a whole lot of "Shepherds dead, whatevs" in that game. Some of the companions were descent (Mordin, Thade, Legion) but some were just forgettable (Thief chick, Tattoo bitch, Grunt) or outright cringe (the Justicar woman, Cerebus Chick). At no point did it have something resembling the race against time feeling of the other two games, plus it suffered from the lack of the core characters from the first game (esp Liara, Wrex, and Tali). It did benefit from DLC a little and the end fight was at least unique. The Mission was laughable though, because you pretty much only had to make two correct calls the entire time for everyone to survive the suicide mission (contrast to Virmire where someone had to die) and the only real choice in the game was if you shit on Martin Sheen at the end or not, which ultimately had fuck all of an effect on the final game, regardless.

Three had flaws, to be sure. Super anime Ninja and the poor handling of the ending (mostly due to writer changing and forgetting their ME1 lore) stick out to people, but it also had a few pacing issues (We are saving the galaxy from a civ ending invasion, but lets go stop at the cititdel to shop). It also locked some of its best content behind DLC paywall. But the companions were on point (Tali suicide scene is one of the best written ones in the series) and choices as far back as ME1 impacted outcomes of relationships with them. The multiplayer was also honestly some of the most fun I have ever had in gaming and I am not someone who enjoys it normally. Its just a shame it took a patch and the Leviathan DLC to unfuck a lot of the garbage writing at the end.

Not only are you 100% wrong, but a lot of your complaints about the story are because dipshit at Bioware went rogue and decided to just make up the reapers whole deal out of thin air and abandoning the groundwork laid in 1 and 2

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I literally said they dumped their story plans from ME1 and that it was a mistake. Now unless you want to discuss the difference of opinion, I am going to assume you are too lazy to offer up your own perspective like usual and just wanted to shit post.

• 1Cringe
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
The Citadel DLC turned a 6/10 game into a 8/10 for me. All of the companions working together followed by the silly party where you get to interact with all of them in neat ways really paid off. It would have made for a much better way to end the game than the actual ending

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Awanka

Molten Core Raider
I kept reexamining my opinion of ME3 while reading this thread, because for the most part I liked the story, and really liked the game. In the first hour you get a front row seat to the Earth getting completely reamed. Then you spend the rest of the game gathering together all the beleaguered races to retake it. It kind of reminded me of Star Control 2.

There were a few too many sentimental moments of your former crew members dying heroically. The ending was WTF. I guess those missteps didn't detract a whole lot from the overall game for me, because the gameplay was as good as ME2.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
The character-class based multiplayer was unforseen going into the game and was very fun. I feel they could have done more with this and gotten to something akin to Battleborn, but then again Battleborn never took off

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The co-op multiplayer was amazing and only continued to get better as they added new races/classes. The Geth Juggernaught was nigh on unkillable, any Volus class was hilarious to play, and I had so much fun with the N7 Fury a little trickle of wee comes out when I remember just how face-meltingly good she was.

Also, I don't know if anyone remembers this guy from way back when but he was a French-Canadian quadriplegic player who managed to solo Bronze through to Gold and almost managed Platinum extraction.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I'm sick of seeing shit like this, too :

OhhhhHHHHHHhhhhh, what happened to the Quarian ark?

How's about this for a question.

WHO THE FUCK CARES?!?

This writer doesn't know their ass from a hole in the ground. ME:A is dead. The entire story is dead. The Trilogy will be a reset, and they will pretend ME:A never even existed. It will be titled "Mass Effect 4: Bend over for more" and they will undoubedtly fuck it up as bad as they did Andromeda trying to reboot back to an actual new story arc spin off.

Also, looks like poor Anita and her consulting business may have faltered a little bit after the disaster of ME:A and the upcoming disaster of Last of us Two in the new Get Woke Go Broke business model :p

Also:

Today more than ever, media consumers want stories that are sincere, genuine, and true. They want works that engage with historically excluded identities instead of the same cliched archetypes and tropes that have been the norm for decades. As the media landscape shifts, we’re seeing an increase in critical acclaim, word of mouth promotion, and the opportunity to reach bigger and broader audiences when projects do their due diligence to get this right.

Mass Effect Andromeda: 2.1 Million Across 3 Platforms
Mass Effect 3: 3.5 Million Across 3 Platforms.

Oops.

Last edited:
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users