Mattresses

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
Got this as well. Best fucking purchase I’ve made in my life. This thing is comfortable as fuck. Also got the big ass purple harmony pillows. They take a night or two to get used to the thickness but my god they’re amazing pillows.
My wife thought I was crazy spending that much on a mattress when in the store, she wouldn’t lay down on it in the store claimed to many people test those things and that’s how you get lice. First night after it arrived she apologized and told me I picked the perfect mattress, never regretted the purchase for a second.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Purples were weird to me, I ended up getting a ihybrid from Serta. Really good purchase.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I feel like whatever it is I could get used to in like a week of sleeping on it.

This is how I feel too. I'm pretty well convinced that most people who broke the bank on mattresses just convince themselves that's it's an amazing miracle bed because they're so invested in it. On the other hand, some people actually believe the marketing hype and think that buying the right mattress is going to give them miracle sleep and then they're disappointed over and over. My friend's wife went through a phase where she bought half a dozen super expensive pillows trying to find the one that would give her ultra-sleep or something. I'm not sure what she landed on but all the time I was thinking "it's a square pad to go under your head, you're asking too much for it to transform your life".

BTW, you can spend $390,000 on a mattress from Sweden if you want to. I'm sure you get super ultra turbo extra heavy duty maximum sleep on that baby.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
This is how I feel too. I'm pretty well convinced that most people who broke the bank on mattresses just convince themselves that's it's an amazing miracle bed because they're so invested in it. On the other hand, some people actually believe the marketing hype and think that buying the right mattress is going to give them miracle sleep and then they're disappointed over and over. My friend's wife went through a phase where she bought half a dozen super expensive pillows trying to find the one that would give her ultra-sleep or something. I'm not sure what she landed on but all the time I was thinking "it's a square pad to go under your head, you're asking too much for it to transform your life".

BTW, you can spend $390,000 on a mattress from Sweden if you want to. I'm sure you get super ultra turbo extra heavy duty maximum sleep on that baby.

Spoken like someone who has never had chronic pain.

I’m not advocating for buying expensive mattresses but there are right fits on pillows and mattresses for how you sleep if you have pain or sleep problems. I tried a lot of different pillows without much luck, no insanely expensive ones as I’m skeptical of that shit and think there’s reasonable alternatives. I have something going on in my c4/c5 joint that causes constant pain in my neck and shoulder blades. Eventually I was waking up at 2am with neck kinks so painful I couldn’t sleep, spending my days in agony the moment I woke up. Finally found a random foam one on Amazon shaped like a peanut that puts pressure on my neck all night and the first morning I used it I woke up without the super pain. The chronic pain in shoulder blades is still a thing but at least I can sleep, that helps a lot.

This $30-40 pillow was fairly ‘life transformative’ for me. Getting more than 3 hours of sleep a night and being in more tolerable pain does a lot for mood, concentration, energy, etc.

Same thing with my mattress I bought last year (also not overly expensive, but built for side sleeping like I do). It has helped my sleep a lot and when I sleep on anything else my normal chronic pain I deal with every day is much worse. It’s not some market hype brand, just one I found while looking at mattress reviews.

People need to just read/watch the deep reviews that are out there that talks about your weight, how you sleep, if you’re hot/cold at night, etc. The expensive shit is still not going to work for someone if they buy one that isn’t designed for how they sleep. If you can sleep on anything consider yourself lucky.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Spoken like someone who has never had chronic pain.

I’m not advocating for buying expensive mattresses but there are right fits on pillows and mattresses for how you sleep if you have pain or sleep problems. I tried a lot of different pillows without much luck, no insanely expensive ones as I’m skeptical of that shit and think there’s reasonable alternatives. I have something going on in my c4/c5 joint that causes constant pain in my neck and shoulder blades. Eventually I was waking up at 2am with neck kinks so painful I couldn’t sleep, spending my days in agony the moment I woke up. Finally found a random foam one on Amazon shaped like a peanut that puts pressure on my neck all night and the first morning I used it I woke up without the super pain. The chronic pain in shoulder blades is still a thing but at least I can sleep, that helps a lot.

This $30-40 pillow was fairly ‘life transformative’ for me. Getting more than 3 hours of sleep a night and being in more tolerable pain does a lot for mood, concentration, energy, etc.

Same thing with my mattress I bought last year (also not overly expensive, but built for side sleeping like I do). It has helped my sleep a lot and when I sleep on anything else my normal chronic pain I deal with every day is much worse. It’s not some market hype brand, just one I found while looking at mattress reviews.

People need to just read/watch the deep reviews that are out there that talks about your weight, how you sleep, if you’re hot/cold at night, etc. The expensive shit is still not going to work for someone if they buy one that isn’t designed for how they sleep. If you can sleep on anything consider yourself lucky.
yea ironically enough my wife and i tried every pillow besides mypillow on amazon lulz

she settled on this contour pillow
4ee07f324b7d4522910c4930682c3167.png

while i got used to the water pillow
86ba431dd29b747ea9188a68a0a3bab2.png

we tried most of these
e01d8f7ea6cb0686942765cd6c37bffa.png

the worst one was the one w/ 100,000 reviews, i was like wtf, how this have so many 5star reviews? it's like fucking cotton candy.

most annoying where these japanese pillows filled with buckwheat
aae46d80bd73f455fbe64f500b2456a3.png

wth i never saw a single buckwheat pillow in any hotel i visited in japan.

Cybsled

Echoing what Hateyou stated, depending on the person, mattress types can definitely make a difference. When I was a teenage or in my 20s, I could sleep on just a crappy old futon and be perfectly fine. Then as I got older, that didn't cut it anymore. I bought a memory foam mattress made by some company in Pennsylvania about 11 years ago (I forget the brand name) and it still holds up rather well, although I wonder if it is starting to get towards the end of its useful person since I frequently have to keep moving where I sleep on the bed to get decent firmness.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
yea ironically enough my wife and i tried every pillow besides mypillow on amazon lulz

she settled on this contour pillow
4ee07f324b7d4522910c4930682c3167.png

while i got used to the water pillow
86ba431dd29b747ea9188a68a0a3bab2.png

we tried most of these
e01d8f7ea6cb0686942765cd6c37bffa.png

the worst one was the one w/ 100,000 reviews, i was like wtf, how this have so many 5star reviews? it's like fucking cotton candy.

most annoying where these japanese pillows filled with buckwheat
aae46d80bd73f455fbe64f500b2456a3.png

wth i never saw a single buckwheat pillow in any hotel i visited in japan.
Opinion on this one?

1618557174491.png

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
We bought a Tuft and Needle Mint. It's been okay.

I can sleep comfortably on the floor though and my old mattress I had for like 7 years.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I’ve really liked my Saatva and wanted something a little more firm. Looking back through emails it has been just over two years now with no complaints.

Pillow I switched to this kind after trying a few. Was getting some seriously bad neck pain and for a while had tingling and numbness in my right hand. Trying to learn how to sleep on my back. Didn’t try the other style Lanx’s wife used.

Milemont C Pillow, Standard, White

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I’ve really liked my Saatva and wanted something a little more firm. Looking back through emails it has been just over two years now with no complaints.

Pillow I switched to this kind after trying a few. Was getting some seriously bad neck pain and for a while had tingling and numbness in my right hand. Trying to learn how to sleep on my back. Didn’t try the other style Lanx’s wife used.

Milemont C Pillow, Standard, White
That’s the pillow I mentioned in my post. My wife ended up switching to it too after trying mine. She doesn’t have chronic pain like I do but it was more comfortable and definitely cooler than the memory foam one we were using before.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I bought a memory foam mattress for a couple hundred bucks like 10 years ago, and it was wonderful. Eventually the memory in the foam wore out, and my back went back to hurting like it used to if I slept more than 5 or 6 hours. They no longer sold the same one, so I bought another one that some people here said was awesome. The memory foam wasn't like the old one, and I have hated it for the couple of years I've had it. I want to buy another one soon, but I want one that literally "memory foams" me, if you get my meaning. It was the type where if you laid down, you had an exact imprint of your body for a minute or so after you got up. It was slightly annoying because rolling over caused you to have to wait until it reformed around you, but that is clearly the thing that made by back stop hurting because once that wore out and it became just "foam", it started hurting again. And this new one never did that, so it has always hurt.

Toppers don't do it for me either, it is like I need to sink down into it and have it cradle me like a baby or something. Anyone have a mattress like that, that isn't thousands of dollars?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I bought a memory foam mattress for a couple hundred bucks like 10 years ago, and it was wonderful. Eventually the memory in the foam wore out, and my back went back to hurting like it used to if I slept more than 5 or 6 hours. They no longer sold the same one, so I bought another one that some people here said was awesome. The memory foam wasn't like the old one, and I have hated it for the couple of years I've had it. I want to buy another one soon, but I want one that literally "memory foams" me, if you get my meaning. It was the type where if you laid down, you had an exact imprint of your body for a minute or so after you got up. It was slightly annoying because rolling over caused you to have to wait until it reformed around you, but that is clearly the thing that made by back stop hurting because once that wore out and it became just "foam", it started hurting again. And this new one never did that, so it has always hurt.

Toppers don't do it for me either, it is like I need to sink down into it and have it cradle me like a baby or something. Anyone have a mattress like that, that isn't thousands of dollars?

Why would you skimp on a bed? Sleeping right is an incredibly huge factor in quality of life, and a high quality luxury bed will last you 20 years. That comes out to pennies a day for a very good bed. My bed is literally my most expensive piece of furniture and I regret nothing. In your situation I'd go to a large furniture store and try them out. Don't be afraid to return a bed if you don't like it after a couple months.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Why would you skimp on a bed? Sleeping right is an incredibly huge factor in quality of life, and a high quality luxury bed will last you 20 years. That comes out to pennies a day for a very good bed. My bed is literally my most expensive piece of furniture and I regret nothing. In your situation I'd go to a large furniture store and try them out. Don't be afraid to return a bed if you don't like it after a couple months.
You make a good point. And as I just put a down payment on a literal sword that would cost far more than a bed last month, I don't really have a good excuse for not spending the money. I guess my biggest problem is that I found one that was great for pretty cheap. Like, I could sleep 14 hours and not have even a twinge of discomfort. If they made that same one still, I'd just buy a new one every few years. I assumed it was possible since it happened once, and I've only had one "failure" since, so I'm still in the mindset of thinking I can find something similar to the first one. I figured if anyone had good info, FoH is the place, but if no one has any suggestions eventually I'll end up doing what you suggest.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
You make a good point. And as I just put a down payment on a literal sword that would cost far more than a bed last month, I don't really have a good excuse for not spending the money. I guess my biggest problem is that I found one that was great for pretty cheap. Like, I could sleep 14 hours and not have even a twinge of discomfort. If they made that same one still, I'd just buy a new one every few years. I assumed it was possible since it happened once, and I've only had one "failure" since, so I'm still in the mindset of thinking I can find something similar to the first one. I figured if anyone had good info, FoH is the place, but if no one has any suggestions eventually I'll end up doing what you suggest.
You were also younger, and thus more likely to overlook problems or be more resilient to them. To put in a comparison, I used a fucking folding chair for years as my gaming chair when I was a kid. It didn't bother me at the time, but I feel panic at the requirement to sit in one of them for an hour, yet alone the day after day 20 hr gaming sessions I did as a kid.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I think I started here, or a similar site to narrow down what types of beds I was looking at based on how I sleep. I then went to a local mattress firm and tried those types of beds.

Once I narrowed it down to the style I wanted I then narrowed it down to a couple of brands. I watched some great reviews on YouTube on those specific mattresses where the guy lays on them in various positions, notes all kinds of pressures he’s feeling, compares your size to his, etc.

I ended up going with a brand called Nest which is online only. The delivery was fast and the bed is great. You can also try it for six months...if you don’t like it for any reason you get your money back...and keep the mattress, they just ask that you donate it to a shelter or something. If I was broke, I would’ve just got my money back and kept it lol. I think I’ve had it over a year now and it’s still like new, the build quality is as good as any bed I’ve tried.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
My mattress sucks. I went shopping for a new one about a year ago and we ended up buying a Restonic from a local place. I swear this mattress only lasted like six months until it developed a uncomfortable huge dip in it where I sleep. I am not exactly a small dude, I am 6" and 250 lbs so overweight but not gigantic and I would have expected for as much as I paid for this thing to have lasted longer than it has. Even my wife who is about 110 lbs is starting to have back pain issues with it. What is a good mattress these days though? I think I'm done with memory foam stuff as this is our second memory foam type bed that has had similiar issues though the first one lasted a lot longer than this one. When we first got married we bought a pillow top spring mattress for like 500 bucks from one of those discount places and that was a damn good bed that lasted about a decade before it started to get uncomfortable. I was a lot thinner then though. Prices are all over the place these days and I have no idea what I'm looking at anymore. What do you guys use? What have you had luck with?

Too bad I didn't see this until now. I've got an extra Purple, brand-new in the case, that I got last April or so and could have sold you at a discount. I assume the issue has been solved by now though.

As for anyone else asking these questions, I strongly recommend Purple myself. I went through a bunch of mattresses (GhostBed, etc) that didn't help with my chronic injuries (as someone else mentioned in here, sleeping 3 hours a night really ruins your mood). Purple did the trick though, at least better than the others (I sleep 6 hours a night instead of 3!)

I ended up with two Purples because I was having issues with the one I had and it was still under warranty so I requested an exchange. Since it was April and pandemic was going on, they never showed up to switch it out and instead just shipped me another one. Meanwhile I discovered that it was the box spring it was on that was causing the issues, not the mattress itself, and fixed my existing one. And that's how I ended up with a brand-new Purple just laying around in its shipping packaging. I'd like to sell it at some point but it might be good to have a backup for when my existing one gets worn out in 5-6 more years, sorta like an investment.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
sounds like you should just get one of those full foam (no halvsies 50/50 latex and foam or 50/50 spring and foam) you need a deep 10in full foam mattress
b16e71277d709eca8a2e0214c9e40b70.png

it's cheap enough that a queen could be had for under $300
Zinus 12 Inch Green Tea Memory Foam Mattress / CertiPUR-US Certified / Bed-in-a-Box / Pressure Relieving, Queen

you could return it or have a really good guess room bed

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
sounds like you should just get one of those full foam (no halvsies 50/50 latex and foam or 50/50 spring and foam) you need a deep 10in full foam mattress
b16e71277d709eca8a2e0214c9e40b70.png

it's cheap enough that a queen could be had for under $300
Zinus 12 Inch Green Tea Memory Foam Mattress / CertiPUR-US Certified / Bed-in-a-Box / Pressure Relieving, Queen

you could return it or have a really good guess room bed
That is literally the mattress I have right now that sucks. I even got it because someone here recommended it, and it was cheap.

mattress.jpg

The problem is, it is impossible to know if the memory foam is the "retain your shape" type or not until you buy it.

This is the one I bought ten years ago, that sadly isn't available anymore. I have no idea how I would be able to tell what aspect of that one is the thing that I liked.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
That is literally the mattress I have right now that sucks. I even got it because someone here recommended it, and it was cheap.

View attachment 350373

The problem is, it is impossible to know if the memory foam is the "retain your shape" type or not until you buy it.

This is the one I bought ten years ago, that sadly isn't available anymore. I have no idea how I would be able to tell what aspect of that one is the thing that I liked.

it has to be the 5inches of memory foam then, that you liked

• 1Like