Mechwarrior Online

Gorillaz_sl

shitlord
So...

UI 2.0, whatcha think?

I think it's about as bad as you could get and still claim it as "functioning". Making players click suff twice as much to do what they were doing before seems stupid to me though. I was a bit more pissed about the 20 - 30 fps I lost on most maps, and that Atremis now isn't just an missle system upgrade, it's an etirely new weapons system requiring you buy new LRM launchers. The biggest wtf has to be not showing how many slots you have availavle on a mech.

Idiots.
It's bad. I play on the 60 inch TV in my living room...total nightmare now.

The scaling is so bad.

I'm beginning to wonder who created Mechwarrior Online...it wasn't PGI. There is no way they did the core game play...they are incompetent. I'm thinking another studio developed it and when they purchased the rights, they ended up with it.

Recalcitrant_sl

shitlord
I'm beginning to wonder who created Mechwarrior Online...it wasn't PGI. There is no way they did the core game play...they are incompetent. I'm thinking another studio developed it and when they purchased the rights, they ended up with it.
To put it in perspective, this game has been in development since 2008. Six years now. PGI first was teamed withJordan Weisman, the guy originally responsible for the FASA MechWarrior titles. Weisman's studio isSmith & Tinker. Both studios worked together on the game until ~2011. Until then,the game was supposed to have co-op and all sorts of fun stuff for both PC and Xbox 360. But theycouldn't find a publisherthat would join them until they teamed up witha brand new startup publisher IGPand switched the design to a F2P title. Weisman meanwhile went on to makeShadowrun returns. There's a good chance that a lot of the base game was done by Tinker and Smith before they split in 2011. This would explain why the base game was most fun in closed beta and PGI couldn't seem to do anything except break it since then.

PGIGP is a whole bundle of incompetence. If you look at that executive summary, IGP was founded as a division of 7G entertainment through a loan from a Canadian labor fund. 7G entertainment has since dissolved and the president of IGP is now the CEO. They claimed on that document they had a subsidiary which was earning $800k/month, but soon after they secured the 2011 loan that subsidiary wentbankrupt in June 2012. IGP started off with three games: MW:O, MW:T and Sins of a Dark Age. Since 2011, MW:O has "released," MW:T hasbeen through multiple developersbut can't get out of closed beta and Sins of a Dark Age left them toself-publish on steam. And of course, PGI couldn't even get a fishing game right- as they're beingsued in New Yorkfor breach of contract because their port of a Bass Pro Shops game couldn't pass Nintendo's quality assurance after four tries.

DX11 was supposed to be in the game August 2012. Then all throughout 2013, especially Christmas:
aSg5K8L.gif

But it still isn't- likely because they have a very hard time changing anything at the root of the code that someone else did. It's all a bunch of jenga blocks:
WxNfLoF.gif

I would be fine with the game not adding anything else than maps for a long time personally. Of course itd be cool to have some sort of territory control and meat on the bones but as a simulator-ish arcade style game i think its fun. I also only started playing a month ago
smile.png
They should just focus on cranking out a bunch of quality maps and then people could be more patient with community warfare, if they even plan to do it with all the cash grab talk i hear about.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
How much of a laughingstock would I be using a Shadowhawk with only 3 AC/2's haha I have a 2H and I just can't find anything I like. Tried a ERPPC/AC10/streak2 but bleh. Tried a 2x AC5/Mlaser/SRM4 but bleh. I'm even thinking of doing an LRM boat for shits and giggles.

OneofOne

There's a stupid easy challenge going now - win 5 games and get a free Centurion Champion (+10% exp, so who cares) AND a mech bay. You got 2 days left. Nice way to get another mech bay.

Also, for some reason I just assumed only Catapults had missile bay doors, but I was wrong.MWO: Forums - Weapon DoorsGood to know!

Remmy

Golden Knight of the Realm
Thanks for the heads up. Not the flashiest of mechs, but surprisingly tanky. also worth like 2 mil credits or something probably if you just sold it

OneofOne

Just an update, 3 new mechs have been released in the last month (Wolvernine, Banshee, Firestarter). Yesterday's patch added more speed to LRM's, more range to AMS, and finally put in a smurfy type mech view, though you can't (yet) interact with it. They also put in achievements, which are mostly lame, but at least a few reward cbills, so money's money. I'm up in the air wrt the LRM speed, but yesterday felt like playing "LRM Online" so... /shrug

OneofOne

Depends on how good/lucky you are, but yeah, 25 games or so for the cheapest, up to 130ish games for the most expensive. Then of course you'll want to kit it out much better so that's more. Of course, you earn exp while playing, as well. You could just buy mechs with cash if you really want - it is a FTP game after all.

OneofOne

Actually, just looked. Ravens are cheap as shit, so those should only take about 15 games to get.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Depends on how good/lucky you are, but yeah, 25 games or so for the cheapest, up to 130ish games for the most expensive. Then of course you'll want to kit it out much better so that's more. Of course, you earn exp while playing, as well. You could just buy mechs with cash if you really want - it is a FTP game after all.
Yep, don't care still. Call me when I can actually customize some chassis before I'm 250 games or 50$ in.

Fury

Silver Knight of the Realm
Yep, don't care still. Call me when I can actually customize some chassis before I'm 250 games or 50$ in.
I'm not sure where you think you have to play 250 matches to buy and customize a mech. Or that 25 matches is a "grind". Those first 25 matches should be the introduction of the game and maps to new players which give very large c-bill rewards that allow them to buy and customize their first mech. Your figures or so far off and exaggerated that I assume you simply don't want to play the game. Those first 25 matches will allow you to aquire about $15 million c-bills. Easily enough to buy any mech and outfit it as you please with the possible exceptions of Assaults depending on how you want to outfit it.

Currently I have 16 mech bays, which you do have to buy at a cost of $1.50 after the first 4 free ones, played just over 2000 matches and have spent c-bills on 6 Assualt mechs @ 15 - 20 million each, 9 Heavy mechs @10 - 15 million each, 6 Medium mechs @5 - 10 million each, and 3 Light mechs at 4 - 8 million each. That doesn't include the 10 million I spent on modules. And I currently have about 30 million c-bills in the bank.

Average play in a match is about 10 minutes if you watch to the end, and payout is about 110k c-bills. 9 matches make you about $1million. If your win ratio is a bit higher like mine (1.23 last I checked), then you make it a bit faster.

And finally I do pay the $15 a month for premium play. The 50% increase in xp and cbills make it worth it to me. My 5 buddies do not. However, if you decide you want to give it a go and try it, make sure you redeem the "HAPPYHOLIDAYS" code for 7 days of premium time first to get the best income you can (if it still works - it did a month ago).

Remmy

I can't get my friends to play this.

If anyone wants to group up and blow robots up please add me: "Remains intact"

I've been thoroughly enjoying the centurions as an different playstyle. Essentially rushing in and legging the larger mechs with srm6+ artemis until they take me down. Hitting an ammo store = game over for them.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I'm not sure where you think you have to play 250 matches to buy and customize a mech. Or that 25 matches is a "grind". Those first 25 matches should be the introduction of the game and maps to new players which give very large c-bill rewards that allow them to buy and customize their first mech. Your figures or so far off and exaggerated that I assume you simply don't want to play the game. Those first 25 matches will allow you to aquire about $15 million c-bills. Easily enough to buy any mech and outfit it as you please with the possible exceptions of Assaults depending on how you want to outfit it.

Currently I have 16 mech bays, which you do have to buy at a cost of $1.50 after the first 4 free ones, played just over 2000 matches and have spent c-bills on 6 Assualt mechs @ 15 - 20 million each, 9 Heavy mechs @10 - 15 million each, 6 Medium mechs @5 - 10 million each, and 3 Light mechs at 4 - 8 million each. That doesn't include the 10 million I spent on modules. And I currently have about 30 million c-bills in the bank.

Average play in a match is about 10 minutes if you watch to the end, and payout is about 110k c-bills. 9 matches make you about $1million. If your win ratio is a bit higher like mine (1.23 last I checked), then you make it a bit faster.

And finally I do pay the $15 a month for premium play. The 50% increase in xp and cbills make it worth it to me. My 5 buddies do not. However, if you decide you want to give it a go and try it, make sure you redeem the "HAPPYHOLIDAYS" code for 7 days of premium time first to get the best income you can (if it still works - it did a month ago).
Yes, I know you get the welfare points early on. It's enough to slap together one/most of one/1.5 mechs depending on what chassis you buy and if you want XL engines or not (which last I played were basically required). But from there out? The fun the of Mechwarrior (for me anyway) is building mechs/cycling parts/minmaxing weapons/etc, and they've hidden all of that behind a gigantic grind or a pretty hefty paywall (are chassis still ~20$ to buy?). And it's worse than just buying a chassis, all the variants with different hardpoints are separate purchases which means even if you have one chassis you really like you're still looking at a huge grind of games to unlock the variants for it.

Game just wasn't good/varied enough for me to be willing to grind out that kind of matches it wanted me to get to a reasonable state of unlocks.

Remmy

I'm not sure giving away an outfitted mech more than every 8 hours for ftp is a good idea. Rate increases to every 3-4 hours if you have a hero mech + premium.

Buying lots of chassis with cash is absolutely a bad idea though.

OneofOne

Challenge (lol) for the weekend - win 5 games, get a free mechbay. Very easy and worth it.