Men's Bar Soap for Showering

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I like the pine tar smell, like a campfire, but it doesn’t last at all. Wife couldn’t smell it on me and I was only out of the shower for a few minutes. Not that it was bad but it’s kind of expensive so probably won’t get another after this one.

The Japanese towel thing is pretty kick ass, can scrub the shit out of your back so easy.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, I've never noticed the smell sticking around longer than a few minutes. Nor has anyone at work remarked about it, although I don't ever really work side-by-side with someone where they'd be able to notice it either. On top of that, half the office wears too much perfume or cologne, to the point where it sometimes gives me a headache, so even if I did smell the chances of it overpowering theirs is slim.

Now that you mention it, I've noticed my forearms, where they rest on my desk during typing, have kind of gotten some little bumps on them. I assumed it was just some random thing, but they never existed before the pine tar either. And I tend to rub the soap over those areas even more now, due to thinking they need better cleaning. Maybe I'm making it worse. I'll try skipping those areas with pine tar (and just rub them with a clean washcloth) for awhile and see if it makes a difference. I haven't noticed anything anywhere else, and these don't itch or anything, they feel more like little pimples, so maybe since my forearms rest on the desk much of the day it is just some slight irritation that I can fix easily.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Yeah, I've never noticed the smell sticking around longer than a few minutes. Nor has anyone at work remarked about it, although I don't ever really work side-by-side with someone where they'd be able to notice it either. On top of that, half the office wears too much perfume or cologne, to the point where it sometimes gives me a headache, so even if I did smell the chances of it overpowering theirs is slim.

Now that you mention it, I've noticed my forearms, where they rest on my desk during typing, have kind of gotten some little bumps on them. I assumed it was just some random thing, but they never existed before the pine tar either. And I tend to rub the soap over those areas even more now, due to thinking they need better cleaning. Maybe I'm making it worse. I'll try skipping those areas with pine tar (and just rub them with a clean washcloth) for awhile and see if it makes a difference. I haven't noticed anything anywhere else, and these don't itch or anything, they feel more like little pimples, so maybe since my forearms rest on the desk much of the day it is just some slight irritation that I can fix easily.
a job i worked at during the 90s had a "meeting" table, at some point each day i was sitting at it and after a while i started breaking out on the parts of my arms that rested on it. other people started complaining about the same thing. turns out the cleaning crew was using some harsh fucking chemical that was intended for cleaning floors on this same table. they stopped and everything was fine. maybe same deal with you? everyone is different. i cant use Gold Bond powder because it gives me a rash.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
a job i worked at during the 90s had a "meeting" table, at some point each day i was sitting at it and after a while i started breaking out on the parts of my arms that rested on it. other people started complaining about the same thing. turns out the cleaning crew was using some harsh fucking chemical that was intended for cleaning floors on this same table. they stopped and everything was fine. maybe same deal with you? everyone is different. i cant use Gold Bond powder because it gives me a rash.
Could be, I'll check it out. They would have had to change what they are doing recently though, as I've been at this same desk for years. Never know though.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
The 3 stages of reading this thread:

Why are a bunch of middle aged nerds going on for pages about soap?

Why did I just order some pine tar soap?

Why have I not been using this stuff for years?

• 4Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
the pine tar stuff is pretty sweet. it lasts quite a long time too.

it really does, i'm pretty sure you're up money ordering the 6 pack on amazon for 25 bucks vs some 10 dollar cosco pack of lever2000 that fucking fades to styrofoamy nothing after like 3 uses, makes you smell like a cuckfag and probably gives you Alzheimers

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I'm using the final bar of the 6 piece variety pack of Grandpa's. It's Oatmeal. It has actual grains of oats in it, so there's some thickness. It's a decent, none have come close to the Pinetar & Charcoal types. They were awesome. As soon as this bar is gone, I'm moving onto the mint Dr. Whatever's oily soap. Let's see how that goes.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
The 3 stages of reading this thread:

Why are a bunch of middle aged nerds going on for pages about soap?

Why did I just order some pine tar soap?

Why have I not been using this stuff for years?

I am on this same Journey I am between stages one and two.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
I've loved the pine tar but getting the variety pack next time. Since I got the 6 pack of pine tar, that's going to take a while. The scent does not last though. Short term benefit.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I've loved the pine tar but getting the variety pack next time. Since I got the 6 pack of pine tar, that's going to take a while. The scent does not last though. Short term benefit.
how intense do you need the scent and how long do you need it to last? after 8 hours i can still smell it on my arms when i put my nose to it. as long as its still generating the pine tar soap smell and not a dirty man smell, thats good enough for me. i dont need to stink like a two dollar whore.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
how intense do you need the scent and how long do you need it to last? after 8 hours i can still smell it on my arms when i put my nose to it. as long as its still generating the pine tar soap smell and not a dirty man smell, thats good enough for me. i dont need to stink like a two dollar whore.

Maybe my nose just isn't sensitive enough but I rarely smell it past getting ready for my day or at most about a half hour. I want to at least smell like a $5 whore if I'm going to make the effort to clean up.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Maybe my nose just isn't sensitive enough but I rarely smell it past getting ready for my day or at most about a half hour. I want to at least smell like a $5 whore if I'm going to make the effort to clean up.
Same here. It's possible I'm just not smelling it because I'm used to it, but I work with at least one woman that would comment if she smelled something on me. I was sorta hoping it would stick around longer, but at least I'm not like the huge asshole guy I work with that also drenches himself in cologne, so there's that.

• 2Like

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
but at least I'm not like the huge asshole guy I work with that also drenches himself in cologne, so there's that.

We have one of those guys at work. There are occasionally days where I can taste the goddamn cologne in the air within seconds of him opening the door to the office.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Same here. It's possible I'm just not smelling it because I'm used to it, but I work with at least one woman that would comment if she smelled something on me. I was sorta hoping it would stick around longer, but at least I'm not like the huge asshole guy I work with that also drenches himself in cologne, so there's that.
i think you're just use to it. next time you wash up with the soap. wait a few hours and ask a friend/family to sniff you and see if they smell anything. dont ask a coworker. cuz i dont want anyone here getting fired for being a creeper.

Sledge

Trakanon Raider
Maybe they had a bad run of the pine tar soap a few months ago. The scent did not stick around very long for me and I have Superman olfactory senses.....a good sniffer is a blessing and a curse.

Charcoal was the best for me so far and I'll be getting more. I'll admit I liked it better than my 20yr run of Zest.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I'm getting close to finishing up the last bar (Oatmeal). This is definitely my 3rd favorite bar of the bunch. It makes a lot of lather and has chunks of oatmeal in it, which I think acts as an exfoliant (not 100% on that). This bar works well, but it'll be gone soon. Next up is the mint Dr. whatever soap. I'm looking forward for that one to begin.

Grandpa's soap score:
1st: Charcoal
2nd: Pine Tar
3rd: Oatmeal
4th: Buttermilk
5th: Epson Salt

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Maybe they had a bad run of the pine tar soap a few months ago. The scent did not stick around very long for me and I have Superman olfactory senses.....a good sniffer is a blessing and a curse.

Charcoal was the best for me so far and I'll be getting more. I'll admit I liked it better than my 20yr run of Zest.

I noticed something pretty interesting when I got my order for Grandpa's pine tar from amazon. The scent, and it's staying around properties, was way less compared the the bars I was buying at my local foofoo store. I've looked into it and may even shoot the company an email to get to the bottom of it. Could be a couple things. Amazon's may be pretty damn old, orrrrr I noticed there is a 4.25oz bar and a 3.25oz bar. I'm pretty sure the in store ones I was getting were 3.25oz. That could possibly be the difference, and it's a pretty big one. So either freshness or variance between the different sized bars. Actually fuck it i'll email em and report back.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
1540309182687.png

They're thinking it's a storage issue. I asked if there were any online sellers they were aware of that for sure stored the soap properly. I likely won't do amazon again as the difference was pretty large. I'll report back on the ones I get directly from the warehouse.