Might & Magic X: Legacy

Soriak_sl

shitlord
Just picked up the game today and got all the way to the lighthouse boss... pretty cool so far. That said, I think I'll start over with a new party. I don't have an Orc on the team and I read that you need one to access the Orc area? I guess I don't want to miss that...

My plan for the new team is, to start off with:

Blade Dancer (Sword, Dual Wield, Dodge -- and maybe endurance?)
Rune Priest (Spear, Shield, Fire, Earth)
Freemage (Magical Focus, Mysticism, Primeordal, Dark, Fire)
Shaman (Air, Earth, Water, Arcane Discipline)

This actually looks a bit caster heavy and may be a bit difficult, at least initially. Any thoughts? I could substitute a Barbarian for the Shaman, or train Spear on the Shaman?

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Just picked up the game today and got all the way to the lighthouse boss... pretty cool so far. That said, I think I'll start over with a new party. I don't have an Orc on the team and I read that you need one to access the Orc area? I guess I don't want to miss that...

My plan for the new team is, to start off with:

Blade Dancer (Sword, Dual Wield, Dodge -- and maybe endurance?)
Rune Priest (Spear, Shield, Fire, Earth)
Freemage (Magical Focus, Mysticism, Primeordal, Dark, Fire)
Shaman (Air, Earth, Water, Arcane Discipline)

This actually looks a bit caster heavy and may be a bit difficult, at least initially. Any thoughts? I could substitute a Barbarian for the Shaman, or train Spear on the Shaman?
Just from reading posts here in this thread, I guess Shaman is really weak. I've not used them personally though.

I feel like Light is important on one of the mages.

Can Runepriests GM Earth? Throw in a Druid with GM Water, and between the 2, as Pyros has talked about, you'd have huge damage reduction.

Freemage is a good choice for Dark Magic, the secret finding will be great.

Soriak_sl

shitlord
I wanted to go with Druid instead of Shaman, but then I wouldn't have an Orc in the group. Is the Orc area reasonably large or should I just write that off?
frown.png
Runepriests can GM Earth.

Crone

I wanted to go with Druid instead of Shaman, but then I wouldn't have an Orc in the group. Is the Orc area reasonably large or should I just write that off?
frown.png
Runepriests can GM Earth.
The best Orc I keep hearing about is the Barbarian with 2handed Spears.

So that would leave RP, Druid, BD, and Barb.

But then you don't have your Freemage with Dark magic for the secret finding.
frown.png

Could go Freemage, Druid or RP, BD and Barb.

Just a tough choice between Druid or RP. RP's fire nukes are awesome, so putting him as a main healer kind of sucks, but leaving mage DPS to a Freemage isn't that great either!

Tough choices, but part of what makes the game so fun!

Vorph

If you really feel you must have dark, I'd drop the bladedancer, not the druid or runepriest. Dark is not necessary in the slightest however.

Vorph

It's convenient, but it can be replaced by scrolls, hirelings, and eventually a permanent ability. To me, Freemage is a generalist mage in a game that gives massive rewards for specialization.

Drajakur

Molten Core Raider
Drajakur: That's the exact group I ended up using too. I'd say stick with the barbarian, because you won't be able to enter the orc area if you don't have an orc in the group. Be sure to switch the barbarian over to spears instead of maces though.
Awesome. Thanks for the confirmation that this group will do fine. Luckily, yes, I switched my Barbarian to spear right away. Cool that I have an Orc to get to a specific area - had no idea that there was that kind of thing in-game.

Can't wait to get back into the game tonight
smile.png

Soriak_sl

shitlord
It's convenient, but it can be replaced by scrolls, hirelings, and eventually a permanent ability. To me, Freemage is a generalist mage in a game that gives massive rewards for specialization.
Sweet, going with Druid, Blade Dancer, Rune Priest, and Barbarian then. Thanks!
smile.png

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
There's a dwarf only and orc only area, however they're for promotion quests and don't really add much of anything other than a few mobs. I haven't done the orc only area actually so not sure if it's big or what, the dwarf one is fairly big and has quite a lot of elite mobs so it's a lot of xp. I don't think there's an elf only place but Halloth might only be accessible with an elf, I wouldn't know since I always had an elf in my group.

As for Dark, it's not just for detection, expert dark is very strong. You have sleep, which is a permanent disable(as long as it lands and you don't break it via damage) and purge(removes buffs, good for mobs that have regen or liquid membrane). None of this is vital but a freemage can still GM focus+air for pure damage or can GM primordial to buff your team by a pretty good amount(+25ish destiny and +10 or more might/magic/destiny/perception) while getting a fairly decent nuke, Implosion. But yeah it's not a necessity at all to get a freemage, it's just a pretty nice potential character depending on how you build it.

Oh and one thing I forgot about Dark, Dark Ward. There's A LOT of shadow bolt casters in like the last 3rd of the game, and they all hurt quite a lot. Dark Ward is fairly invaluable in those, even though you can obviously do without(and Liquid Membrane is a perfect substitute). It's a really good school of magic for supporting, even at expert level(or especially at expert, since past expert it's fairly meh unless you have DW daggers then agony is awesome).

turbo

Molten Core Raider
Haven't finished on Warrior yet so I can't say for the end game but up to level 20 now on warrior and my top damage dealer most fights is my freemage. Air+focus both just waiting for promotion quest and he should really do some big damage, chain lightening on crits on 3 has hit over 800 already on the orcs (do have +7 air from items).

My RP doesn't do much damage for me at this point with celestial armor being her primary spell, occasional fire shield etc. RP is just an absolute tank though with shield and +1hp vitaility finished off with armor. Have 3 relics on her and she just doesn't get touched.

My druid pretty much is keeping buffs up, posion cloud on the ground, and restore going. Just got into the city so going to slums to get my druid promo and i should be ready for some real fun. Soon as I get my RP's promo done and get the GM fire spell i'll start dumping 4 magic to give her a boost and some points into focus.

Going to go and try blade dancer promo now as well. His dps is pretty hot and consistent with a 30 damage + 24 damage sword, but i have a shitty 2nd one that i need to replace. Have about enough cash to go buy him another 11k sword and then its game over. I really like my blade dancer/druid/RP/freemage combo.

If I play another warrior mode I'd almost go 2 blade dancers (1 dagger 1 sword), Crusade (c-armor spam + flat damage buff), and either a freemage or druid. Would be a change up from my non stop casting group. Crusader would be built as a healer first basically.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I've personally stopped increasing magic at like lvl 20 when I figured the dmg gain is ridiculously small compared to what you get from GM anyway, so I'd rather have spirit. I went 1vit 3spirit from then on until the end, think I had 40magic at the end(from doing 2magic 1vit 1spirit for a while) and shit was still dying in seconds anyway. Spirit I find is much better cause the spells are expensive as fuck, fire rune is 50mana, flameburst is 60mana, even fireball is like 30 mana or something. Lategame it's all about the aoe for casters, you want a big mana pool so you can lay down several aoes in a fight instead of constantly drinking pots which wastes time and money.

I assume the 2% is additive and not multiplicative though, and I haven't ran tests to confirm, if it's multiplicative it's quite a bit better but otherwise it's 2% of your base dmg which is fairly weak.

Caliane

destiny gives magic crit as well btw.
GM focus is 20% chance, and 30% damage.

But yeah, magic damage increase, and skill damage increase are additive.
I don't know the formula for magic, but heres my damage values:
Freemage:level 16
62 magic
2.2 base. Can tell this, by 2.2 fire, water, light. which all have 0 skill points invested.
so 120% damage increase from 62 magic.
2.3 earth, and dark with 1 skill point.

3.1 air with 18 skill. +90% from skill.
2.9 prime with 13 skill. +65% from skill.
char sheet rounds of course. if 65 gives a flat 120%, that +65% should still be 2.85, not 2.9. and that 65 magic is probably not a flat 120 either.

GM is 25 skill points, for 125%, then an additional 5% per skill point for another 125%
250% damage increase from skill points.
I could likely get another 30 magic if I continue that leveling. not including gear. How much damage would that give exactly? about 50%?

my druid. level 16.
48 magic.
2 base. 100% damage.
3.2 earth, 23+2 skill. (she has a +2 earth ring. Any idea of that +2 is doubled by GM bonus as well?)

Spirit is garbage compared to mysticism as well... but of course limited amount of skill points.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Crap. So I took my free Mage all the way to fire master? Mistake? Only lvl 12 at the moment. Based on the above comments can I now switch to max out dark or too late?

Caliane

Beat the game at about level 31.
so lets say level 30. 3 per level+4 human. 94 skill points.

GM is 25 skillpoints, 15 for master, 7 for expert.
A freemage can GM 3 trees(75 points), and have 19 points left over.

Presumably GM focus, GM dark, and GM 1 other for a freemage. (but not required. Im not doing dark on mine. focus, air, prime here)

You may of course wish to spread points around as well. resists? mysticism?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I wouldn't GM dark, think it's kinda weak, expert is really good enough since purge and sleep don't scale. I guess if you use agony it might be worth it but you'd need 2 dual wielders and one being a dagger for it to be worth it I think. Dark itself does like no damage. For a support Freemage I'd do GM Prime(implosion for damage, hour of power+destiny for support), Expert Dark(purge, sleep, dark ward at a decent level and lasting 10ish turns), Master water(liquid membrane at a decent level, blizzard for aoeing shit), Master earth(regen, stoneskin at decent level, aoe poison) then dump the rest in focus. Could GM air too instead. Still have room to GM air and put some points in focus anyway but might not finish before the end dungeon so that's an issue. Also primordial damage is kinda shit in the last part of the last dungeon. But you can do a very good all around support class with a freemage, it's not as good as a druid in terms of defense buffs but darkward evens it out a decent bit against most endgame casters and you get pretty good damage buffs with prime.

If you want to do a damage focused freemage then just GM air+focus, expert dark and prime and done.

littles

Lord Nagafen Raider
No idea if this has been said in the thread. You can cast the earth HoT on your guys and try to open secrets that damage you and the turns wont tick down on the HoT yet it will still heal you for you failed attempts. Makes brute forcing the secrets a ton easier than reloading every time.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Why do some of my characters gain more exp? I can't find anything (in game) that mentions it.

Crone

No idea if this has been said in the thread. You can cast the earth HoT on your guys and try to open secrets that damage you and the turns wont tick down on the HoT yet it will still heal you for you failed attempts. Makes brute forcing the secrets a ton easier than reloading every time.
Discovered this last night in the thieves den as well. Decided to give up though after not opening after a ton of attempts.

DiddleySquat

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I'm having trouble gaining entrance to the Lost City. After meeting Kilburn I cleared a way to the cave with the ghouls and skeletons, but at the gate to the Lost City I need a key I don't have. Searching the interwebs,this videoshows 2 guards spawning, one of which drops an Iron Key. Unfortunately, those guards never spawned for me. Tried reloading, restarting the game, ...
Am I missing something, or bug and so out of luck?