Might & Magic X: Legacy

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
On IDing stuff, you definitely want a mage with expert prime magic, even more so on higher difficulty. The ID spell costs 700 and can be trained from the first village and the expert trainer is just outside the city in the caravan, and once you have it you can ID stuff for only 5mana so it saves a fuckton of money. That's basically the first thing I do on my mage, get him to expert prime right away, I used a Freemage because they can access all magic schools but I think most casters get prime. In terms of equipement most of what I'm wearing s what dropped, didn't buy that much. Only thing you really want to buy is rarer weapons if you find one(like 2H sword, still haven't seen one for my 2H char even though I finished act1 and checked vendors multiple times) and daggers with flat damage if you use a DW dagger char.

And Qhue that fight is retardedly hard for whatever reason. If your damage is low it's basically harder than a boss fight in many cases. What I do is dump as much shit as possible on the elite naga in front of whatever door you opened to try to kill him before the rest. The problem is you basically need a mage spamming heals/absorb the whole time so you run out of mana quickly then you're kinda fucked if it's not dead yet. Having an hybrid who can do healing while you drink pots on your mage is fairly important, in both my parties I had a ranger(can use Regeneration) and in the 2nd one I also had a Crusader(can use the absorb holy thing) so I'd use these while drinking medium mana pots and resume. Need strong melees to kill them quick, or a second mage. If you can't get it no matter what, you can always go get xp outside, make sure to clear everything you can and even some of the bandit lair stuff, levels do make quite a lot of difference, another trick would be to get just enough xp to be close to a level up, then fight them this way first mob you kill in the group gives you full heal.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Decided to give this a go and I'm stuck on the 3rd floor of the lighthouse where you get double teamed by the Naga, left to get a few levels and came back and still owned like a red headed stepchild... I must be missing something.
If you have any defense skills start with those, then any rebuffs each round if possible. Failing that your choice of party/equipment may be the cause.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Frozen Earth or whatever it is on two different casters makes it a trivial fight - but brute forcing it is certainly an option. (assuming you're not just blitzing to the lighthouse before clearing most of the overland - Kenshi are no joke when you're still L2-4 but trivial 5+ if you're thinking about how to keep their burst damage mitigated.

Boss on the roof will completely bend you over if you don't learn to use mitigation/healing spells though.

Caliane

Spell wise I tried a few spells but the earth magic aoe is pretty much the strongest, at least for trash(bosses are immune to the dot so it sucks). It reduces avoidance, does good damage albeit over time and costs very little mana. I could spec fireball but other than the fact it's ranged I don't see a point since damage isn't that high and mana cost is like twice as much.
stand corrected. poison spray was changed. buffed ALOT.
it used to tick for 4 damage.
Pretty crazy strong now. wrecks elites.

Que if you dont have poison spray. get it. also the air aoe spell sparks is 360 degrees aoe. not just in front. it also wrecks that 4 naga trap.

And yeah. ID costs were changed. used to be 15g gold. haha. getting Ident spell is pretty huge now.
costs for skills/spells as well. much much higher then before. it was 150g for t1 spells, and 400g for t2 in pre-release.

Taunt mana costs were reduced, from my earlier. complaints on mana cost as well.

turbo

Molten Core Raider
stand corrected. poison spray was changed. buffed ALOT.
it used to tick for 4 damage.
Pretty crazy strong now. wrecks elites.

Que if you dont have poison spray. get it. also the air aoe spell sparks is 360 degrees aoe. not just in front. it also wrecks that 4 naga trap.

And yeah. ID costs were changed. used to be 15g gold. haha. getting Ident spell is pretty huge now.
costs for skills/spells as well. much much higher then before. it was 150g for t1 spells, and 400g for t2 in pre-release.

Taunt mana costs were reduced, from my earlier. complaints on mana cost as well.
So is the game complete or is it still early release?

Caliane

this is release. and release patch really did change quite a bit.

Graphic problem still there.
massive balance changes. skills and costs on things.
being able to see secrets on the minimap was fixed.
all sorts of shrines, etc added to world map. npc rebalance there as well.
trainers all moved around.

turbo

Molten Core Raider
this is release. and release patch really did change quite a bit.

Graphic problem still there.
massive balance changes. skills and costs on things.
being able to see secrets on the minimap was fixed.
all sorts of shrines, etc added to world map. npc rebalance there as well.
trainers all moved around.
Well great, maybe this can help heal my crushed inner kid heart from VG taking a shit on me for the last time. I think MM4 or MM6 (had a redish demon or dragon on the front, best one of the series) was the first PC game I ever really played since I didn't have a computer until I bought my own when I was like 16-17. I later went and played all of them basically but they have always been one of my favorite series.

One quick question, I'm a pretty avid castor fan, since there is no true tank by the sounds of it outside minimal taunting is it alright to run no tank like characters at all? I always loved my dual mage parties but I am planning on starting on warrior level because I enjoy a good hard ass challenge and figuring things out. I don't want to completely gimp my self.

Caliane

Im running dual mage. a druid and freemage.
and dual wield merc, and scout.

I would not recommend more then 2.
Mages are expensive. spell cost is way way higher then any possible weapon cost. which are mostly just found anyway.
mana is a problem with mages as well. especially early. 1 druid with mysticism, and regen/cure poison will keep any fighters alive. but your mages will burn through offense quick. This may be less of a problem later game. but early, most of your resting will becuase your mage is out of mana.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Dual Wield Expert trainer for those asking is in Seahaven once you open the bridge (immediately over the "can't cross because we're fixing it" bridge once it's open...) - so no getting DW Expert until L10 or so at the earliest (I was L14 I think... but I assume some people can outdo me on doing it levelwise)

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah same for shield, dodge, medium armor and a few others. Basically if it's not in Sorigal or in the little merchant caravan, it's pretty much in Seahaven so you'll have to wait until then, which takes quite a while.

On mage teams you can definitely run 2mages, more and it's gonna be extremely rough especially on the higher difficulty as caliane pointed out cause you'll need to buy a lot of spells(they're very expensive, especially past novice) and also a lot of mana pots. Technically might not need that many mana pots though, if you're willing to cheese and rest a lot then go back to town to buy supplies mid dungeon and do that non stop. You'll also want to put at least 2 points of spirit every level I'd say, possibly 3 early on and you'll also need 1 in vit so you don't get one rounded, so your magic will stagnate for a while. On the other hand once you have enough mana, you can just pump magic every level and ignore the rest so it's not too bad. Mysticism is great too, if you have multiple mages you don't need to spread them too much in terms of skills so you can afford mysticism, sadly the expert trainer is in seahaven so you'll be stuck at novice for a while(but it does give like 35mana which is pretty solid).

A 4 mage team would probably work out alright, I might do that on my 2nd playthrough, just need to make sure you have 2 different nukes since high resist mobs will fuck you otherwise(like my current mage only attack spells is poison, so undead or earth elems take no damage from it, but it's fine since it's also my healer so I just do buffs and shit).

I'd get one with high nature(at least master) for stoneskin which makes everyone fairly tanky and regeneration which is a great HoT, probably secondary holy and he'd be the healer, one freemage for shadow whispers and also for identifying shit then probably bunch of different schools for wards and some basic healing support, then I don't know, air and fire look very strong at killing shit, water might be better for control though I haven't really seen what are the spells since in seahaven the guy only seems to sell high lvl holy and air spells.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
I'm running a 4 mage party 1 from each race. lots of resting but I'm tearing through the game. It was rough starting out but I'm level 12 and with all the aoe it's rocking.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Well I made the party to check it out after posting, on hard mode or whatever. Money is really the big issue, and yeah resting non stop early on, but it's been going alright. Basically in the spider dungeon you only have enough mana to kill 2 spiders, so when there's the boss or the pack with 3spiders, it's very rough. Had to use 2-3pots on the boss and I think one on a group of spiders, but overall that's an ok amount all things considered. I've cleared most of the crap outside and looted as many chests as I could, got sparks on 3 of my mage, regen on 2, identify/dispel magic on the freemage. As long as you have mana shit melts, normal mobs can't even melee me(unless there's 3) due to gust pushing them back constantly and mobs die in 2rounds basically, but have to rest every 2-3 encounters or so.

I made one of each race too figured it would be nice to not have too much overlap. Freemage I put I think 5 vit on creation, everyone else 5spirit, and I've been doing 4spirit per level on everyone since the start. Maxed mysticism on everyone, expert prime on freemage for IDing stuff, unlocked both melee and ranged weapons on everyone(well focus weapons for those that didn't start with a melee weapon proficiency which is everyone but the dwarf which starts with spear for some reason) for when I'm out of mana/when I want to shoot shit if I'm pushing them away with gust but don't want to use mana.

Overall working alright and pretty fun. Haven't cleared the nagas yet but I guess once that's done the massive spirit is going to kick in and I'll start being able to kill many groups without resting. Already have like 150mana on each of the mages at lvl 5 or whatever I'm at. I expect like once you hit master in your damage shit you probably kill most non elite mobs before they even reach you in a single round of aoes. Triple chainlightning+fireball and shit like that.

bytes

Molten Core Raider
The trainer locations are completely odd and don't seem to be too well placed. I can't get any of the master tier magic schools, because the trainer is sitting in the pirate town. Getting there is impossible at this point, you can't stand up to the mobs on the way. But I obviously have access to master DW training in form of the naga and I found the Earth Magic Grandmaster trainer in a forest near Lord Kilborn. Long before I have any chance in hell of getting even the master training.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Well some of the grandmasters being accessible earlier is alright, but yeah it lacks consistency. Like I believe you can get GM axe as soon as you get access to act2 area, cause expert is in the first town iirc, master is in seahaven and grandmaster is right outside seahaven. And yeah for magic, you can only master holy before going to the crag I think. Maybe Air too? Not sure I didn't check since on the char that's there already I don't have air leveled, just earth/holy and now going shadow.

Anyway been progressing with my original group, this game is a fuckton bigger than it looks like when you're fucking around in act1. I remember complaints from early access that it'd be too small and I can totally see why people would say that based on the size of the first area and the world map, but then it's like there's a fuckton of stuff underground and it's not open plains anymore but instead forests and shit so it increases how long it takes to go from point A to point B and there's a tons of dungeons and shit. Also once you get to act2 the game opens up a lot. I probably spent 3-4hours just exploring shit and finding where I could go and where the mobs would rape me instantly(I knew where I had to go though, just follow the main quest). I just finished act2 and overall it wasn't very long, possibly even shorter than act1, but I have like 10 sidequests still to go and a ton of areas I didn't get to explore and got my 2nd elemental shard thingie for the temple(water one too, tons of shit to unlock with it).

Considering the price I didn't expect there to be that much content. Granted a lot of the content is recycled stuff, especially mobs, but it's still very big and there's been a large variety of places and shit. Wasn't too sure about buying this because of the EA feedback being kinda meh but glad I did.

Caliane

well. its more interesting when its more maze like, and you have to really search them out.
experts all being easy to get in act 1. master easy to get in act 2 is pretty boring.

I admit, I'm not sure if the spread is perfect. you have a clear advantage with some skill trees/builds.
While others are more reasonable. Like dual wield. its not even something that you should be focusing on imho. points just add +1 hit rating to the offhand. the expert rank itself adds +1 block. now that +1 block is ok... But, why would you be investing in dw, instead of swords/axes whatever? which also gives +1 hit rating, and damage to BOTH hands(assuming using the same weapon type twice.)
And then armor perhaps to further reduced the penalty to both hands.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Damn, this game is great. Decided to give it a try yesterday evening and the next thing I know it's 3AM.

Basic question though, are there quests that eventually send you to all caves/dungeons or are there some that you stumble upon out in the world that you should just try to explore yourself? There's that cyclops in the cave right outside the starting town, and he just wrecks my shit at lvl 9 or whatever I am. Wasn't sure if that's a future quest, or just come back and kill him when I'm tougher.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
He's just there to come back and kill later and collect your sweet lvl 5 loot. At least there was 2 all resist potions too for me so it wasn't a waste. I went there at lvl 17 cause it was close and I wanted to test dagger damage see if I should replace my dagger of relentlessness(+1 attack per turn). Assumed I'd die but I was apparently around where I should have been to kill him, he dropped a couple of my chars down but not far enough so I could just get them back up with heals and killed him. Also on the dagger, turns out that no, you don't replace a dagger with that mod unless you get another dagger with the mod. Just adds too much damage, even though it's the lowest tier of dagger and it's like 8 base max damage lower than the ones I find now, it's still better.

There's a lot of shit where you come back later, like you'll see often "need blessing of x" shit and that's when you finish a specific sub dungeon to unlock these areas, metroid style. Also in act2 there's a lot of "melting" of the areas, like you'll be doing your shit for a quest and it's just fine, but then you open a door and it's rapefest. Also for example in the act2 end dungeon, there's a part of it that's meant for later, the mobs are full on rape if you go the wrong way but you can come back later, and in some cases you can beat the mobs. I killed one of the groups cause it had the easier mob types for my group and ended up opening a bunch of chests and secret areas with higher level loot until I had to turn back cause everywhere had mobs I couldn't kill.

Caliane

he was beatable in pre-release at like level 3. not sure what level you can take him, making good use of those shrines, or other buffs.

pryos, have you found anything for that secret area behind the bookshelf in castle porty? a quest send you back there in later acts?

bytes

Molten Core Raider
Blackguards are really draining my resources. Got a crusader for the group damage shield, a dw dagger ranger for straight up dps, a druid for poison spray/regen and a freemage, mostly using the air single/aoe spell. The ranger damage seems ok against the enemy casters, but knight/warrior types block alot of these multi-hits. It's starting to feel extremley slow and I'm using way too many potions, mostly mana though.

Also, is anyone putting points in destiny to increase crit? So far I've done nothing but might for the melees, magic for the casters (with the occasional points in spirit) and sometimes a bit of vitality for everyone. Still, my groups damage seems to drop off pretty hard right now.