Might & Magic X: Legacy

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
They buffed him a lot I read, I just don't see how you would kill it before like level 15 or so, he cleaves the entire group for 70-80 pretty often and sometimes stun too. I was 17 and it was a tough fight.

Not sure what bookshelf you mean exactly. There's quite a few secrets in there.

Btw turns out that you can't actually GM until you've promoted your class, which means that it doesn't matter all that much what you spec for. I mean it matters a bit since some of the master trainers are quite a bit later than others, but past that it's not much different. Think I'll try to see if I'm high level enough to do the crypt for the paladin promotion, get me that grandmaster sword shit on my paladin.

Bytes not sure my ranger tears apart shit, granted the blocking assholes less so, but mages also do shit damage against NPC mages and have resist issues with certain mob types(for example the boss of act1 has super high air resist). I do 2might 1destiny 1vit every level, but I also level dodge as my defense so it makes sense to get destiny. My ranger actually doesn't even have medium armor trainer, I use "cloth" armor, max dodge/dagger/dw, doesn't really seem to get hit like ever. Make sure to get magic weapons though, especially for DW dagger you want daggers with +dmg. I also use another melee with 1pt warfare for the armor debuff(well technically it's now like 8points warfare since I ran out of stuff to level and want to check the higher skills).

Caliane

did you have pre-release pyros?
Probably not, if you don't know which I'm talking about. haha. I'll /spoiler it in case it is something to come later.

Secrets in pre release were visible on the minimap. So, like, looking at the map, you could see the hallways revealed, before using the spell, etc to actually see the door in game.
1st floor of the castle. to the east. there is a room, with a broken wall, and a hole you go through. directly through this hole you can see 2 bookshelves. go in, and too the left of the rest of the castle.
The thing is, on the minimap, there was clearly a room behind the bookshelves. the room does look like it touches the hallway, so the door might be there too. but as far as I know, no one figured out how to open it in pre-release. many thought possibly it was just not available yet. 3rd floor? had a room that outright said, not available until act 2 or something iirc.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
he was beatable in pre-release at like level 3. not sure what level you can take him, making good use of those shrines, or other buffs.

pryos, have you found anything for that secret area behind the bookshelf in castle porty? a quest send you back there in later acts?
The Lost City connects to the castle there - the switch is on the LC side of the bookshelf however.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Oh right there's that but yeah it's not something you activate, you just kinda end up there later on, saves you some travelling. Progressed quite a bit, went to the crag and karthal both and checked all the vendors there as well as noted down all the trainers I found on the way, still have a bunch of missing stuff though. In terms of spells, the holy GM spell is in seahaven and it's an aoe damage+heal, the GM air spell is in the crag and it's a static aoe, the GM dark is in Karthal it's weakness 360 aoe -20%phys dmg and damage over 2 turns, GM prime is in karthal too and it's the shrine +might/destiny/magic/perception buff. Because I only have one mage in this party and it's a freemage I can't tell where or what the fire/water/earth spells are.

Also not sure where the Freemage upgrade NPC is. I found paladin easily(it's jon morgan so you kinda don't need to look for him), ranger was in a very easy to spot location too and mercenary was in town so again easy. Haven't spotted the freemage one though, I expected it to be in Karthal but unless I missed it, it wasn't. Not that important since I was still getting raped 2 levels ago so I'll probably need a couple more before I can go do these safely, or maybe it's just the paladin one that sucks I'll try the merc one since the skills you get from it are pretty awesome.

Vaclav

Restarted because I was regretting not having a 2H guy - and did the 30U Uplay unlock relic set from my Act 1-2 U pts and they're really quite nice to start off with. Annoying there's no Expert for Medium Armor until Act 2 though for the BP however.

bytes

Molten Core Raider
Gotta hate Uplay. I have the achievement for the finished act 2, but it won't unlock the point reward you get for that. Has anyone checked out the archmage hireling you can get for the uplay points? Hired npcs were absolutely beastly in MM3, but I haven't found anything interesting for my slots so far.

Vorph

I still haven't gotten very far because I've restarted a few times, but I'm curious why you were regretting the lack of 2H? I keep seeing everyone else saying dual wield is the only way to go for melee.

Vaclav

I'm guessing it's how the Defense mechanics end up working - late Act 2/early Act 3 (it's hard to tell which is which for 100% sure) my Dual Wielder was doing less damage than my sword and boarder was with a UNENCHANTED mace with equivalent skill levels and Might on both on many of his swings.

With my 2H just in the beginning stretch he's L6 and is swinging for over 80 with some regularity - and that was a lucky round with a L3 leveled up Artifact DW'ed with a Tier 3 Sword in the other hand with the "Sunder" effect on the mob to reduce it's AC.

DW felt like a buzzsaw early on though.

Vaclav

Uplay is the launcher that they use (might not need it if you pirated, no idea there) - they do some achievement stuff that gives you credits for buying promo stuff for the games, etc.

Basically UBIsoft's own Steam. (but not nearly as feature laden - the achievement points buying stuff is cool though)

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I'm guessing it's how the Defense mechanics end up working - late Act 2/early Act 3 (it's hard to tell which is which for 100% sure) my Dual Wielder was doing less damage than my sword and boarder was with a UNENCHANTED mace with equivalent skill levels and Might on both on many of his swings.

With my 2H just in the beginning stretch he's L6 and is swinging for over 80 with some regularity - and that was a lucky round with a L3 leveled up Artifact DW'ed with a Tier 3 Sword in the other hand with the "Sunder" effect on the mob to reduce it's AC.

I have both a DW and a 2H in my group. My DW is a ranger, DW dagger, my 2H is actually a merc, because I wanted 2H sword. Reason for that is because the merc bonus when you upgrade is that everytime they strike an enemy at full health, they can't be dodged/blocked and always crit. If you crit with a sword, the expert bonus makes you swing again, I figured it'd be godly with 2H, haven't gotten to that point yet. Anyway, I bought a really good sword at a vendor and I was doing more damage than my DW, for a little while, until I found an equally good dagger. Atm my 2H guy with 55might hits for about 120 or so, if he crits however it can be like a 250hit shit's pretty insane. My dual wielder though hits for 150 all the time assuming the offhand connects. If he crits it's not quite as big of a change but he crits a bit more often(offhand dagger has 2%crit and master dagger bonus gives it like 3% more crit from the destiny). That said and it's fairly important, I don't have the GM dagger yet, which would make a massive difference that I don't think the GM sword or GM 2H would compensate(but GM 2H is really sweet, sadly only orcs get that and they can't use swords). Fucking sucks no one can GM swords and GM 2H at the same time, crusader would have been nice, or just merc.

So it seems fairly even to me, but one thing 2H does a lot better is not rape your healer when fighting vindictive enemies(the ones that get +1strike next turn per miss/block). That shit's brutal if I get a bad roll on my DW dagger and miss 4 hits in a row. On the other hand, finding a good 2H was very random(I didn't find a 2H sword until the end of act1) and until you get GM it's more prone to bad RNG against blocking mobs. Granted, if you warfare you can spam the autohit for 10mana until you're out, so there's still guaranteed damage. Also not a fan of mace bonus, stunning is great on trash but I'm fairly sure it does nothing at all against bosses. So I guess it's axe if you want the big damage.

Anyway balance between the 2 seems fine and mostly the difference has been whoever gets the best weapon. Also you can GM swords, maces or axes a lot easier than dagger as far as I can tell, not sure where the dagger GM is but all these others can be obtained during act2(seahaven, the crag and sea haven respectfully). Still need to unlock the class though. My initial assessment of DW was based on early game but it does catch up nicely after a while. Might bonus being only on the physical part of the weapon helps with that too, daggers have low phys but compensate with many attacks giving flat elem bonuses a big boost, but that means they scale not as good with might. That's why the expert and GM bonus are so strong I think.

Btw anyone helped the 3 brigands? You get a quest in the first city to find 3 brigands and kill or help them. Wondering what's the reward for helping them.

Vorph

I see. I think I'll make a slight adjustment to the team I'm going with then:

2H/Warfare Merc
DW/Air Ranger
Fire/Light Runemaster
Earth/Primordial/Water Druid

I can't learn dark because it's apparently Freemage only. Will that be a problem? I assume there must be another way to detect secrets besides the whispers spell...

Vaclav

You can get Scrolls from vendors quite frequently - and they last 100 turns vs. 30ish so they're honestly a ton more convenient anyhow.

Pyros: What's your 2H showing on the character sheet for his damage? Mine sounds like he's already matching yours non-crit wise 96-153 for what it's listing on the sheet, and I'm still in Elemental Foundry right now. (And he's practically one shotting stuff in there...)

Caliane

makes some good points on 2h vs dw.
I hadn't actually put any points into dw yet... considering swapping.

but yeah, one of the warfare skills makes the "first hit" always hit. obviously favors 2h greatly.
offhands low hit chance, fueling retaliation, as noted..

Tried the cyclops at level 10 with some real prep. still failed.
well fed buff, hour of power buff. freemage with regen, and evade. druid with regen, celestial armor.
If I focused on it from the start, might have been able to do it. celestial armor absorb+regen heal is very strong. if focused on mana, so I could just spam both each turn, and burned him down with my scout/merc, probably could do it.

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
makes some good points on 2h vs dw.
I hadn't actually put any points into dw yet... considering swapping.

but yeah, one of the warfare skills makes the "first hit" always hit. obviously favors 2h greatly.
offhands low hit chance, fueling retaliation, as noted..

Tried the cyclops at level 10 with some real prep. still failed.
well fed buff, hour of power buff. freemage with regen, and evade. druid with regen, celestial armor.
If I focused on it from the start, might have been able to do it. celestial armor absorb+regen heal is very strong. if focused on mana, so I could just spam both each turn, and burned him down with my scout/merc, probably could do it.
The GM warfare gives you a Always hit crit and stops blocks EOT. Along with all enemies have to hit your guy during their next turn.

Right now I'm running

Dwarf Defend Mace-Warfare-Shield-Heavy Armor
Orc Barb 2H-Spear-Warfare
Elf Blade DW-Dagger-Warfare
Human Freemage Prime-Earth-Light-Dark

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
What is the advantage to using a spear for your 2H weapon? Seems like 2h maces and axes are way more damage. I muss be missing something

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
What is the advantage to using a spear for your 2H weapon? Seems like 2h maces and axes are way more damage. I muss be missing something
The master perk lets you ignore 50% of enemies armor. Plus it had a nice bonus against large guys (like the cyclops)

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Hmm apparently you can fuck yourself and block progress on the fire shard room. If you activate the things in the wrong order, you can't complete the puzzle. Only solutions seems to be reload an earlier save, thankfully I hadn't erased my autosave upon zoning in since I hadn't saved other than quick save in many hours.

Vaclav I guess it depends on the weapon you're using? I'm using a blue 2H sword, best one I found but it's not really that great. Swords might also do less damage I haven't really compared. Currently my merc uses a 36-44 sword I bought forever ago, his might is 56, he does 133-159listed damage with 16% crit chance. One big downside of merc though is I'm missing on like 125% damage from being capped at master in swords(10points at 5% per level then 3% per point for the grandmaster bonus so 3x25=75%), so in retrospective it wasn't a good idea to make this char. Still kills shit in seconds if I crit but meh.

Also the promotion to windsword requires you to have the shard of air blessing, so it takes quite a while to get in comparison to some others. Example ranger can be acquired very early, you have to clear a tough camp of blackfangs bandits but iirc no elites just normal blackfangs, and that's it. On the other hand, the warden ability sucks unless you have been leveling your bow, but it does let you "melee" with a bow, at a hefty 30mana per turn(it's aoe though). Also get access to a free hireling that detect secrets and increases your chance to open them(great for my group that has 0 perception user).

Paladin however is OP as all fuck imo. Lay on Hands basically uses all your mana to do a full heal. But it works the same if you have 1 or 100mana left. On top of that, it doesn't a cooldown of one day like you'd expect, you can just lay on hands to dump mana then drink a pot, use a few spells, and lay on hand againt to dump. The other skill grants like 20ish holy damage to every melee attack for 4turns, which is great for DW dagger since you get 80dmg bonus a turn. Costs 50mana though, but I've been dumping points in spirit since I'm GM holy so I can make good use of the mana. Paladin definitely great class for a secondary healer, does good single target damage and has ton of utility with the heals, especially to like revive your main healer if he's unconscious or even dead.

Angry Amadeus_sl

shitlord
Found some yellow relic footpads that have an awesome +8 evade bonus and more, and can level up. This game is great, brings me back in time.

Crone

Just aquired this game, and a quick question. Should I be building my party based on normal MMO type? Healer, tank, dps, dps? Or is there ways to make it work if I choose all DPS or all tanks?

Figure I'll manually create my party, as the pre-sets usually are no good?

Also, Adventure versus Warrior mode? If I like a hard ass challenge, can I go Warrior mode for my first play through? or will it just suck balls and be frustrating?