Mindhunter

Caliane

how many read the books? how much of a departure from the books is this?
Curious on that, and things like the weird kid, I was looking at wikipedia.

Looks like the FBI elements are almost wholesale fabrication.

The S1 and on plot point of, "FBI hates academics", seems totally fabricated. It looks like everyone involved all had college degrees, and mostly Masters.
no mention of female lesbian professor anywhere.
2 dudes start, with 10 member agents.

Douglas and Ressler, do the interviews, and seem to be the basis for Tench and Holden. (who are also composite/fabricated characters). Neither are the creators of the unit.

not seeing any mentions of anxiety/ptsd or anything in their bios. nor, problems with their kids.

Fedor

<Banned>
ressler and douglas

ed-kemper-douglas-ressler-4.jpeg

ri6v201mu8tz.jpg

not seeing any mentions of anxiety/ptsd or anything in their bios. nor, problems with their kids.

it was viral encephalitis (will graham from red dragon was based on him and they did the encephalitis story in the hannibal tv show)

Diagnosed at one point with post-traumatic stress disorder — he nearly died in 1983 of viral encephalitis believed to have been brought on by the stress of his work in Seattle on the Green River murders — he's seen the price others he's worked with have paid, including heart attacks and other illnesses.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
how many read the books? how much of a departure from the books is this?
Curious on that, and things like the weird kid, I was looking at wikipedia.

Looks like the FBI elements are almost wholesale fabrication.

The S1 and on plot point of, "FBI hates academics", seems totally fabricated. It looks like everyone involved all had college degrees, and mostly Masters.
no mention of female lesbian professor anywhere.
2 dudes start, with 10 member agents.

Douglas and Ressler, do the interviews, and seem to be the basis for Tench and Holden. (who are also composite/fabricated characters). Neither are the creators of the unit.

I read his book forever ago and reread Mindhunter before season 2 dropped and it is quite different from the books. Most of the FBI portion is made up characters that hybridize the entire unit.

I dislike the Anna Torv character and there is nothing like her in the book, just remembered I haven’t read his second one so probably will do that today.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Finally finished it and really I can summarize the whole season. Women characters are shit.

Anna Torv got reduced to a mindless lesbian plot that didn't matter.
Tench's wife was just an asshole.
Black Coke bottle lady was...also an asshole.

You cut out all their scenes and it's an interesting season. It's disappointing there were few interviews, but overall the Atlanta plot was decent enough.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The same guy played Manson in this AND Once Upon A Time in Hollywood. Pretty neat. I was disappointed it wasn't Will Forte like I had hoped though.
That's Dewey Fucking Crowe.

• 4Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 4 users

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
5 episodes in why the fucking holy fuck are they devoting this much time to pointless lesbian bullshit jfc

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
5 episodes in why the fucking holy fuck are they devoting this much time to pointless lesbian bullshit jfc
fastforward lesbo doc when she off the clock
fastforward psycho kid and mom when trench "comes home"

try not to eyeroll when black women are talking

and you'll enjoy the season.

• 1Solidarity

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Just fast forward through that shit. Its terrible

• 1Like

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Normally I don't agree with that kind of stuff, but yeah, fast forward the lesbian stuff and the kid stuff. There's really nothing redeeming, nothing tying it to the rest of the show. The black women, whatever, their kids are dead and the city isn't doing anything, if anything I don't think they're angry enough. But man it is super annoying that they chose to just waste so much screentime on Carr's relationship only to have it be a fat nothing, no character development, nothing, back to square one.

• 1Like

Xevy

Log Wizard
The kid stuff is definitely relevant. The lesbian stuff 100% is not. The kid is basically an incubating serial killer (or is he?).

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
The kid stuff is definitely relevant. The lesbian stuff 100% is not. The kid is basically an incubating serial killer (or is he?).
psycho kid is probably gonna be a nature vs. nurture theme since he was adopted

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
The first season had a bit of lesbo shit too. Its just that it was little snippets instead of entire story line leading to St nowhere. I thought it was gonna be some big expose into how being gay/lesbian in late70s early 80s was taboo and in the closet and the struggles. But no, it didnt even go there.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
As someone who loved the first season. This season is garbage tv

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Finished season two, liked it, have no idea what was up with the lesbian subplot. It was like Netflix gave her the contractually obligated amount of screen time to maintain Anna Torv's contract? I didn't hate those scenes or anything. They just didn't build to anything, go anywhere or tie in to anything. Holden's relationship in season one showed how he was being changed by the work he was doing. Wendy I guess was just cruising for trim and got caught in a relationship that was more serious than she was looking for?