Mindhunter

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
no

Like I said.... EVERY FUCKING SHOW... They cant help themselves anymore.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I'm only on episode 5 but I was surprised she was so openly gay for the 70s.

Also yes the one woman was really unlikable but I'm giving her character a pass because her kid is dead and no one is doing anything.

escrima

Blackwing Lair Raider
S2, just as good as S1. This show is so inside baseball about the FBI. Definitely the most accurate portrayal of how the Bureau functions.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Xevy

Log Wizard
Didn't think it was good as Season 1. Seemed like more of it was non-serial killer related shit than Season 1. Still definitely worth watching.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
BTK doesn't get caught until 2005. I think his purpose is just to show Holden is not always right.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
BTK doesn't get caught until 2005. I think his purpose is just to show Holden is not always right.
I think that what Ed said really underlines this guy. Holden makes some statement about how the killers can't function in normal society, and Ed said they are basing all of their data off of the guys who got caught and trying to use that to build profiles on the ones who haven't been, and it's a fundamental issue with the research. And if you read the story about BTK, Holden wasn't really wrong, he was able to get his shit under control for a time but eventually the compulsion to tell people won out. But for a really long time he was able to pass as a normal dude. Creepy as fuck, but relatively normal.

What gets me more is how the fucking fuck did 28 children get murdered in a major American city, and the guy who killed them is still alive and still unconvicted of ANY of those murders. Imagine those parents, i mean what the fuck. And they are pretty sure that there was at least one other perpetrator in the mix there who is responsible for a few of them. Who was he? Who knows! It's just fucked.

escrima

Blackwing Lair Raider
I think that what Ed said really underlines this guy. Holden makes some statement about how the killers can't function in normal society, and Ed said they are basing all of their data off of the guys who got caught and trying to use that to build profiles on the ones who haven't been, and it's a fundamental issue with the research. And if you read the story about BTK, Holden wasn't really wrong, he was able to get his shit under control for a time but eventually the compulsion to tell people won out. But for a really long time he was able to pass as a normal dude. Creepy as fuck, but relatively normal.

What gets me more is how the fucking fuck did 28 children get murdered in a major American city, and the guy who killed them is still alive and still unconvicted of ANY of those murders. Imagine those parents, i mean what the fuck. And they are pretty sure that there was at least one other perpetrator in the mix there who is responsible for a few of them. Who was he? Who knows! It's just fucked.

Because you need evidence for each murder. And then you need to convince a jury that hes guilty beyond a shadow of a doubt. Not easy in the real world.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Because you need evidence for each murder. And then you need to convince a jury that hes guilty beyond a shadow of a doubt. Not easy in the real world.
I get that. I know it's not easy. and I know that you need resources etc. But we're talking 30 people, and the show portrays the investigation as pretty fucking halfass, the stuff I read about the actual case pretty much backs that up. It's so hard to believe that they could have the guy, know how he was operating, and still be unable (or unwilling?) to come up with anything. That shit is a goddamn travesty.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Makes you really think that before all this and DNA and other advancements in law enforcement in the past 20-30 yrs, how easy it was to commit such crimes if you werent a total idiot.

The whole Ted Bundy thing brought this to light when I saw the Netflix documentary on him. Went from state to state randomly killing chicks in same car (that was known by law enforcement) but since back in them days the different state and local agencies were not linked in any meaningful way no one knew anything. No DNA, no linked national finger print database, etc...Now imagine someone doing this like 50 yrs before that, or even before. I wonder how many predators like this killed for decades and huge body counts that no one ever caught or even suspected.

It also makes you think about how much harder it is to be a predator like this today. I wonder how many of these psychos get caught their first murder and never get to go on a spree but they would have.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
It also makes you think about how much harder it is to be a predator like this today. I wonder how many of these psychos get caught their first murder and never get to go on a spree but they would have.

i mean look at all these failures at mass shootings, they just had one idiot taken down cuz he was doing some instagram shit and couldn't shoot up a jew place, like they wanna get caught.

i'm on eps 3

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Makes you really think that before all this and DNA and other advancements in law enforcement in the past 20-30 yrs, how easy it was to commit such crimes if you werent a total idiot.

The whole Ted Bundy thing brought this to light when I saw the Netflix documentary on him. Went from state to state randomly killing chicks in same car (that was known by law enforcement) but since back in them days the different state and local agencies were not linked in any meaningful way no one knew anything. No DNA, no linked national finger print database, etc...Now imagine someone doing this like 50 yrs before that, or even before. I wonder how many predators like this killed for decades and huge body counts that no one ever caught or even suspected.

There are a lot more in recent history than I thought. Figured you would hear about more of them in the news.

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
yeah, CSI bullshit has made you GREATLY overestimate how good forensic science is.

I mean, look at "the staircase, or making a murderer, or Evil Genius" to remember how shit it really all is.

Or, how about those two girls that where found murdered, and even had a photo uploaded to the cloud.

That other doc on the kids what went missing in Portugal, and the parents were blamed.
Or, every year, when some co-ed vanishes at various resorts.. and we almost never find the killer.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
yeah, CSI bullshit has made you GREATLY overestimate how good forensic science is.

I mean, look at "the staircase, or making a murderer, or Evil Genius" to remember how shit it really all is.

Or, how about those two girls that where found murdered, and even had a photo uploaded to the cloud.

That other doc on the kids what went missing in Portugal, and the parents were blamed.
Or, every year, when some co-ed vanishes at various resorts.. and we almost never find the killer.

That is usually because of ineptitude when gathering evidence or ulterior motive/human bias. Forensic Science is actually pretty fucking amazing. And if you wanna use TV as a guide just take a look at all the episodes of Forensic Files.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I just checked and clearance rate for murder is about 64% in 2017. So not so good. But this is also because most of these killings are inner city and mostly blamed on the entire "no snitch" bullshit of those communities.

They also estimate some 200k open cases since 1960.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
a great moment was in eps5 where kemper is like "seems all you know about serial killers is what you gleaned from the ones that were caught"

probably are like hundreds of serial killers out there, that are just great at their craft.

• 1Like

dizzie

Triggered Happy
The Atlanta PD are doing some new testing in the child murders to see if they can get a conviction.

DNA testing gets better each year, there's a case I follow and it's obvious who the murderer is but it can't be proven. The police have this item in storage to be tested but the tech to test it hasn't been developed as of 2019.

There are hundreds of cases like the above where the police have things in evidence/storage awaiting the testing. It just costs money to run the latest and greatest tests and you need sequencing etc as samples are old/tiny and that kind of thing. It also gets expensive fast when you have multiple items from crimescenes.

Cutting edge forensic science is far from cheap.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
The Atlanta PD are doing some new testing in the child murders to see if they can get a conviction.

DNA testing gets better each year, there's a case I follow and it's obvious who the murderer is but it can't be proven. The police have this item in storage to be tested but the tech to test it hasn't been developed as of 2019.

There are hundreds of cases like the above where the police have things in evidence/storage awaiting the testing. It just costs money to run the latest and greatest tests and you need sequencing etc as samples are old/tiny and that kind of thing. It also gets expensive fast when you have multiple items from crimescenes.

Cutting edge forensic science is far from cheap.
also you lose evidence everytime it gets tested is what i hear.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
TLDR is that her character is completely wasted screen time in S2

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users