Miniature Painting

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
I actually love removing the crusty rings, it is so cathartic.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
I actually have been using less and less Citadel paints, my current favorite ranges are:

Pro Acryl from Creature Caster for Basics + a good range of Colors, Paints are super high pigment and smooth + Dropper Bottles -> https://creaturecaster.store/ca/product-category/paints/

Scale 75 for Metallics -> Best golds and silvers in the game imho
Secret Weapon + army painter + Citadel for washes -> Great

I use GW for more of their off the wall colors, and due to having some colors that I want to match to book schemes etc.

I have a full set of army painter but I just havent started any projects yet with them, the reds so far are very nice though.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I actually have been using less and less Citadel paints, my current favorite ranges are:

Pro Acryl from Creature Caster for Basics + a good range of Colors, Paints are super high pigment and smooth + Dropper Bottles -> Paints – Creature Caster

Scale 75 for Metallics -> Best golds and silvers in the game imho
Secret Weapon + army painter + Citadel for washes -> Great

I use GW for more of their off the wall colors, and due to having some colors that I want to match to book schemes etc.

I have a full set of army painter but I just havent started any projects yet with them, the reds so far are very nice though.
Justin from Secret Weapon does classes locally here all the time. Great dude.

Met the guys from Creature Caster at Warfare Weekend. They seemed like nice guys. I didn't need paints but tried them out there and they seemed to have good pigmentation.

I've been a fan of Vallejo for years. When I did actual painting I would use their air brush line to paint out of the bottle with a standard brush. It's a good consistency and you don't need to water it down

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Looks good. You should practice something new right now on that model. Make those coils glow in the center with some lightened blue, and pure white. There’s a lot of examples on IG and it looks badass. Really makes the gun pop and look a lot more interesting.

View attachment 268961View attachment 268962View attachment 268963View attachment 268964

Nice I'm defintely gonna try this.

Yesterday I was watching one of Vince Venturella's hobby time vids where he'll answer your questions in chat. Mine was centered around improving past my "decent" and you can hear his answer at 23:00 of the vid: Deliberate practice, on something like blending, faces, nmm, etc. Get direct feedback. Try a competition. Join a Patreon if you can't get direct feedback from someone more advanced regularly.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Going to be moving into an apartment in the next 6-9 months, from a House, so now I feel like I've gotta rush and get all this grey plastic assembled and primed before I'm in the apartment and don't have a back yard anymore. On the plus side, the Knight Crusader is nearly finished painting/shitty-basing, just need to figure out where I put the damn transfer sheet with the house insignias.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Going to be moving into an apartment in the next 6-9 months, from a House, so now I feel like I've gotta rush and get all this grey plastic assembled and primed before I'm in the apartment and don't have a back yard anymore. On the plus side, the Knight Crusader is nearly finished painting/shitty-basing, just need to figure out where I put the damn transfer sheet with the house insignias.

With all the money you save from being in an apartment vs a house you can just get an airbrush to solve the priming issue =)

• 1Like

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
And if you do in apartment airbush work. Building a little airbrush booth is relatively cheap. I threw this together for under $17. Fan was 15 on amazon and the rest of it was pallet wood and scrap plastic. Oh and some tape I threw on for better suction when I was done.
111598.jpeg
111595.jpeg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Noble Savage

Kang of Kangz
<Bronze Donator>
And if you do in apartment airbush work. Building a little airbrush booth is relatively cheap. I threw this together for under $17. Fan was 15 on amazon and the rest of it was pallet wood and scrap plastic. Oh and some tape I threw on for better suction when I was done. View attachment 269160View attachment 269161

Does that booth do a good enough job of exhaust that you don't need a mask? Or would you still recommend one?

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Does that booth do a good enough job of exhaust that you don't need a mask? Or would you still recommend one?

My guess is it’s good enough. Airbrush isn’t using any propellant so there not a bunch of nasty chemicals blowing out, and the paint flow is so small and directional it goes straight back.

• 1Like

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
I have an airbrush booth with an exhaust and it vents out the window, but I still use a mask. Sometimes it seems like it's unecessary, but if I spray a lot I always wear one.

• 1Like

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
I think it also depends on what you are spraying. As Hateyou said if you are using an air compressor you aren't using a propellant so thats good but you probably want to wear a mask if you are spraying enamels or lacquers whereas acrylics probably not as necessary

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I should have added the caveat about what you are spraying. I only use acrylics so don’t wear a mask. The only nasty shit I spray out is airbrush cleaner, but it’s only small amounts when I’m finished painting to clear it out, and then it’s directly into a cup.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
I airbrush inside without a vent booth. If i am doing a heavy spray or something like varnish I will pop on a mask, but for basic thinned out acrylics, especially doing individual blends/highlights I don't both as sometimes I am doing them from 5-10PSI so don't really see much overspray, I also live in an apartment and just prime out the window on a box. I'll usually just throw on a mask again if it's heavt but for small things where there isn't a lot of spray I don't bother

Good chance I get lung cancer from all the chemicals but yolo.

• 1Like

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
I airbrush inside without a vent booth. If i am doing a heavy spray or something like varnish I will pop on a mask, but for basic thinned out acrylics, especially doing individual blends/highlights I don't both as sometimes I am doing them from 5-10PSI so don't really see much overspray, I also live in an apartment and just prime out the window on a box. I'll usually just throw on a mask again if it's heavt but for small things where there isn't a lot of spray I don't bother

Good chance I get lung cancer from all the chemicals but yolo.

Im same. I have been building plastic models(airplanes, cars and shit) since the early 80s. Between that and both of my parents being smokers Im definitely getting the cancer sometime

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider

Yeh it's actually got quite a bit of suction. The fan is a bathroom exhaust fan. So it's 45 or 50cfm.

But I only use acrylics. And if I use a spray can it's always outside.

• 1Like

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
Just got a new camera so been experimenting with settings, anyone have any ideas on setup/lighting etc?

CC62046A-63B9-42B8-81A7-FFBB9D593274.jpeg

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
So not exactly a painting question. But maybe if you did?

So I have the old d&d gargantuan and colossal "minis" that wizards made. But they never made a green dragon.

So I was wondering have any of you bought or printed and or painted one of comparable size and aesthetic?

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
WH Fantasy Wood Elf Dragon was often used for a "green dragon" back in my day. I think it was $50 or $60 bucks in the 90's. Not sure if you could find a great deal on a second hand one. Not sure it's the scale you are after, but its a cool model.