Miniature Painting

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

DirkDonkeyroot

Blackwing Lair Raider
You should try a pink base for those guys, saw a guy do it with some chaos warriors and it looked fantastic.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
You should try a pink base for those guys, saw a guy do it with some chaos warriors and it looked fantastic.

I'll second that. Saw an amazing fist army that was based pink. Wish I could find the pictures again as it was incredible.

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yah I think it might be this vid:

Does look really good. I basically did that just not with pink, more of a red/brown. Maybe I'll try what he did next. Hmm.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
Yah I think it might be this vid:

Does look really good. I basically did that just not with pink, more of a red/brown. Maybe I'll try what he did next. Hmm.

The way this guy holds his airbrush triggers me so hard.....

ziggyholiday

<Bronze Donator>
mummy.jpg
bride.jpg

Eeeeeh, so this is like my 11th and 14th mini I've every painted (still need to do some basing). These minis are from a board game my daughter bought and I offered to paint them for her, everything else I've painted has been "practice" on cheap plastic toys.

• 3Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 3 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
View attachment 289709View attachment 289710
Eeeeeh, so this is like my 11th and 14th mini I've every painted (still need to do some basing). These minis are from a board game my daughter bought and I offered to paint them for her, everything else I've painted has been "practice" on cheap plastic toys.

Look good for that early in the hobby, imo.

Do you do washes yet? The mummy could benefit from a pass with Agrax earth shade. It would bring out his wrap details a lot. It may already look good and the photo is washing the details out. Pretty common for us camera noobs that just take pics with our phones.

ziggyholiday

<Bronze Donator>
Look good for that early in the hobby, imo.

Do you do washes yet? The mummy could benefit from a pass with Agrax earth shade. It would bring out his wrap details a lot. It may already look good and the photo is washing the details out. Pretty common for us camera noobs that just take pics with our phones.

Yeah, washes are what actually what got me interested in the hobby. I saw one of the Goobertown Hobbies beginner videos, after seeing how good the washes made the minis look I thought I could at least make a mini look not shitty. I used Army Painter necrotic flesh, mummy robes and soft tone wash and then a dry brush of the mummy robes again. Thin my paints, use a wet pallet and have one decent Raphael Kolinsky brush. lol

• 1Like
  • 1Dislike

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, washes are what actually what got me interested in the hobby. I saw one of the Goobertown Hobbies beginner videos, after seeing how good the washes made the minis look I thought I could at least make a mini look not shitty. I used Army Painter necrotic flesh, mummy robes and soft tone wash and then a dry brush of the mummy robes again. Thin my paints, use a wet pallet and have one decent Raphael Kolinsky brush. lol

Nice, that’s pretty much what got me into it as well, but with Sorasto’s Zombicide videos.

I suggest picking up a pot of Agrax Earth Shade (and nuln oil) to experiment with. It’s not like the soft tone you’re using that’s very thick/hard, it’s more like a tinted water. You’ll be able to soak some up on your brush and apply it in very specific areas as opposed to brushing all over and just letting it dry. Although you can still do that, it brings the details out even better, because it’s not as thick and doesn’t “fill” the detail gaps in as much. The concept is the same as what you’re already doing, so don’t be scared!

ziggyholiday

<Bronze Donator>
A02082C0-0566-41DB-8F0A-D6283C165192.jpeg

haha, COVID spending to the rescue.

I'll try it out, I've not really liked the other Citadel shades I've used but those were all colored ones like beil-tan green or casadora yellow so I was mainly sticking to the soft Army Painter shade.

• 2Like
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 2 users

DirkDonkeyroot

Blackwing Lair Raider
View attachment 289714
haha, COVID spending to the rescue.

I'll try it out, I've not really liked the other Citadel shades I've used but those were all colored ones like beil-tan green or casadora yellow so I was mainly sticking to the soft Army Painter shade.
Do yourself a favor and hot glue a 50mm circle or so of chipboard to the bottom of it. You don't want to easily knock it over.

• 1Solidarity

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I 3D printed one. Totally unnecessary but when you have a 3D printer you try to find uses for it.

7F57229A-25EA-4129-906F-85FC9FD171D1.jpeg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

ziggyholiday

<Bronze Donator>
I like the brush holders, solid touch.

How much of a difference would you guys say quality minis make? I've avoided them due to the fact that I didn't want to really waste money while I was still figuring things out. I did get two of the D&D board games, as a lot of content creators on Youtube call them out for good minis for the cost but after looking at them, they don't seem all that great. Better than the toy grade minis I've been using but that's about it.

• 1Dislike

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I like the brush holders, solid touch.

How much of a difference would you guys say quality minis make? I've avoided them due to the fact that I didn't want to really waste money while I was still figuring things out. I did get two of the D&D board games, as a lot of content creators on Youtube call them out for good minis for the cost but after looking at them, they don't seem all that great. Better than the toy grade minis I've been using but that's about it.

They’re probably just a small step above what you’re already painting. You get what you pay for with minis. The two D&D minis I’ve painted weren’t terrible but they weren’t as good as the higher quality board game minis from CMON, or Awakened Realms, and they don’t even come close to higher end minis like Kingdom Death, Warhammer 40k or Creature Caster. But again, the cost reflects that.

If you really want a wide variety of nice minis for D&D look at Massive Darkness or maybe the sequel coming to Kickstarter in a week or so. If you want a smaller amount and less “8 of the same mini squad” I wouldn’t recommend those, but they really can’t be beat in terms of cost per min and the quality of them.

If you want to be more selective and cheaper overall (but higher price per mini) Reaper Bones is a good place to order from

Just always remember to clean your flashing up before you prime or you’ll get a flash shaming post from me (I’m guilty of missing it sometimes too). Also scrub them with dish soaped water before you prime.

ziggyholiday

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, I've seen a few videos about reaper bones collection. I guess I should work on what I have (seeing as how I've got about 100 minis from those two board games) and then go from there. I imagine it'll be good to work on different painting techs and pinning with slightly better stuff.

• 1Dislike

DirkDonkeyroot

Blackwing Lair Raider
Runewars minis are quality and cheap. May want to check them out.

Edit - Also take a look at Wargames Atlantic

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If you wanted the rune wars minis (the base box) it didn't take off in my area so it's legit been sitting on my shelf for years. If you paid actual postage I would ship it for no cost.

• 3Solidarity

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Indomitus #1 is close to complete. I love these models.

g1.jpg

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
They make me want to build Black Templars.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Just a simple metallic base through the airbrush to get this guy going. I'm digging the steel color as opposed to the dull copper I've been seeing. He looks like a Terminator.

20200806_152243.jpg

• 3Like