Miniature Painting

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Ok added the following just to start with for paints and doing a shitty job on a few minis that are included

Will pull the trigger when my wife is off her work call and gets me the kid's schools amazon smile code lol

Yeah man this right here is perfect to start. IMO:
Reaper Learn to Paint
I set cheap synthetics: and Rosemary and Co series 33 or a Raphael 8404 size 2 and size 1 from AMZ: Pot of Nuln Oil:
Plenty to start with.

Just paint up the 3 in the set, follow the book that comes with it. Good to go now for anything else you want to try.

Vallejo basic set for more paints:

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Pill bottles, or 2x2s cut to whatever length you need work well too.

I also keep my testors laquer and spray paint lids for the larger models. Just stick blue tack on them like pull bottles and 2x2s.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

ziggyholiday

<Bronze Donator>
meh
C215F0E2-F970-4416-AA33-8A9E7C91BDCA.jpeg

3E4334BD-E117-44B5-957D-03AACED56503.jpeg
E1A91EDB-F82A-4CC8-AE42-3C35E4A97CDA.jpeg
4D3531CA-1A38-4BB3-A259-2D4CD3E7D330.jpeg

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
What don’t you like about your results?

I can suggest a few things to make them pop a little. It doesn’t appear from the pics that you did any shading with washes or highlighting so most of your painted areas look like they’re all one solid color. So I’d suggest washing first. Like the chain mail, wash it with some Drakenhof Nightshade or nuln oil. Let it dry, then do another layer of the silver, but not I. The recesses. The leathers, do the same thing but with Agrax earthshade. Wash the entire brown area with it, then pick out raises areas with the original brown, then to the spike tips with lighter brown.

They don’t look bad for tabletop imo, and definitely not bad for being fairly new to painting.

ziggyholiday

<Bronze Donator>
Washes all over those things. As an example, chain mail has a grey base, earth shade wash and metal dry brush. I think, other than skill/experience painting it’s also the minis. They’re from one of the D&D board games, so they aren’t terrible but not great either.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Washes all over those things. As an example, chain mail has a grey base, earth shade wash and metal dry brush. I think, other than skill/experience painting it’s also the minis. They’re from one of the D&D board games, so they aren’t terrible but not great either.
Yeah they’re definitely not great minis for detail. Try a blue shade on your metals next time, I think you’ll be more pleased, makes it look more metallic than dirty.

I’d also practice some highlighting. Lighten up the green that you used for the skin tone, make it real thin/watery. Take a paper towel and make it wet. Load your brush with the watery paint, do a quick wipe off on the wet part of the paper towel to get rid of some of the pigment/water. Then do some thin layers on the top of the skin tones and where raised surfaces are. It’ll look a little overly contrast when you first put the layer on, but as it dries it’ll blend pretty well with the color underneath. That will give your skin a little more depth. And make it look like light is hitting it.

ziggyholiday

<Bronze Donator>
I’ve never thought of glazing for highlights. I had wanted to do some blending with a darker and lighter color on the skin but once I started painting, I felt the minis weren’t suited for it. Opted for some biel-tan green shade. Thought it was ok but could have been helped a lot with some sort of highlight. I think from there I just reverted back to base coat and wash for the rest of it. Well I did add some highlights to the archers skirt.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
One of my favorite highlights is for black you could do if you have the colors. Incubi Darkness on top of the black, then light The Fang on top of that. Really makes black things look much better since you can’t really shade black with washes.

Here’s an example of the effect, instead of pure black tentacles.

259A4D88-E7D6-4D9B-B84E-AFC2BB9CB877.jpeg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

ziggyholiday

<Bronze Donator>
One of my favorite highlights is for black you could do if you have the colors. Incubi Darkness on top of the black, then light The Fang on top of that. Really makes black things look much better since you can’t really shade black with washes.

Here’s an example of the effect, instead of pure black tentacles.

View attachment 313897
Yeah, I was trying to figure out what I could for the hair as it was black. You’re doing that by glazing?

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, I was trying to figure out what I could for the hair as it was black. You’re doing that by glazing?
Yeah. I pretty much do all highlighting by glazing. I’ve found trying to highlight without glazing just creates too much of a distinct line for my tastes. Now I wouldn’t do that if I was painting like the spikes on shoulder pads or something where it has a physical change that would explain a distinct line. But if it’s just highlighting a natural curve or something I do the glazing method.

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
You're off to a good start ziggyholiday ziggyholiday . Can highlight anything by adding a bit of a lighter color to whatever color you're using. So a tiny bit of maybe a blue to your black would do it.

I did the airbrush portion of the big guy today. I have to remind myself it's going to show the depth of the blue a lot more once other colors are painted in. I'm happy with the progress so far.

20201031_153201.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Hey ZyyzYzzy ZyyzYzzy You’ll want some of this at some point too. For filling gaps, smoothing mold areas etc. you’ll especially need it on larger or more complex models that are assembled/more than one piece. Smaller/cheaper models are typically one piece and you won’t really need it for them. Forgot about it when I was replying to original list.

Games Workshop Citadel Liquid Green Stuff (0.4 fl. oz, 12ml)
Example below. If you don’t fill gaps like these it shows up terribly once you paint it. Looks as bad or worse than flashing.

94EA733C-4861-4791-B16F-08ED4EBCAB26.jpeg

• 1Like

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Hey ZyyzYzzy ZyyzYzzy You’ll want some of this at some point too. For filling gaps, smoothing mold areas etc. you’ll especially need it on larger or more complex models that are assembled/more than one piece. Smaller/cheaper models are typically one piece and you won’t really need it for them. Forgot about it when I was replying to original list.

Example below. If you don’t fill gaps like these it shows up terribly once you paint it. Looks as bad or worse than flashing.

View attachment 313946

Gorm in progress?!

• 1Like

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>

View attachment 313946
Thanks. I also assume I need a gallon or so of nuln oil?

• 1Worf

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Thanks. I also assume I need a gallon or so of nuln oil?

Hah. You’ll definitely use shades a lot but I recommend getting a variety, not just nuln. Nuln has its place but it really dulls down anything you put it on and is very dark. I use Drakenhof on any metals for example, nuln just dulls and darkens metals so much, while the Drakenhof gives it a blue metal sheen instead. And on brown leathers I’d use Agrax instead. Using colored shades will bring out the warm/cool colors that are already on the mini while nuln really just darkens everything.

Nuln Oil, Drakenhof Nightshade, Agrax Earthshade, Reikland Fleshshade. Those four will get you through a lot of the basic things you’ll start with like dirt/mud, metals, skins.

Others I use a lot are the violet, green, and yellow shades from citadel. All those glowing lantern minis I was posting last year was using the yellow shade to make the light reflections. Green I use on plants. Violet I use as a shade on anything red. I have a few others but don’t use them often.

• 1Like

DirkDonkeyroot

Blackwing Lair Raider
Any recommendations for a tool to use to scratch off tiny areas of paint

For like chipping and weathering or actual paint striping? I would use the back side of an xacto knife for chipping and a tiny ass pipe brush for striping in hard places to get.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users