Mission: Impossible - Fallout (2018)

Stave

Potato del Grande
Saw it with the wife and enjoyed it, as I do all MI movies. They are one of the few movies I go to opening weekend without waiting for reviews. I liked it, it was really good, but it wasn't my favorite of the 3-6 series. I missed having a "heist" scene like the previous ones had, where they had to infiltrate some super high security area. This one was much more high speed chases, than planning out some elaborate impossible infiltration. I did miss having Jeremy Renner in it as well as he fit well I thought.

Another big difference I noticed about this one, it starts off dark and heavy from the very start, and stays that way to the very end. There are no real funny or comical scenes in it outside of a couple one liners and few second funny moments. It is much darker than the previous movies. I would have loved more Simon Pegg / Tom Cruise shenanigans. Still better than most the other summer movies so far though, and would highly recommend. 8/10.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
9/10. Great action movie, loved how so many of the action scenes were extended and really had you wondering how it was going to end, because there were a couple different twists and threads as the movie progressed where different outcomes could have made sense either way. Bathroom fight scene was awesome. Just good shit all around, this is why I can't quit Tom Cruise.

The only nitpicks were the final scenes with Cruise and Cavill got a little out there with the hook suspending shit and just the whole scene with the 2 helicopters in the vertical chasm thing...but it was still suspenseful and well done overall. Also the "major twist" of who was really Lark was extremely easy to figure out early on in the film, but still enjoyed watching how it played out. Agree with Stave that Simon Pegg could get more lines and it would only help the film. I absolutely love him in the cast. Ferguson also is very good once again. I'd agree you miss the "heist" sequences from previous installments, but this is still my favorite of the series...so much action and well shot throughout. I'll be right there ready to see the next one if they do another one.

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player

Haven't seen the movie yet, but here is Cruise doing more skydiving...

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

spronk

FPS noob
saw it 2nd time in IMAX today, still pretty good didn't really notice massive IMAX changes other than a "bigger" picture for I think the halo jump and final action sequence. It looked good, but I thought the dolby screen was better because the sound system in there is better than the IMAX sound, at least at the AMC by me. The dolby picture looked a little crisper too, I think it does dual 4k laser projections at mine whereas IMAX is single 2k or 4k. Movie isn't quite as awesome on 2nd viewing, still really enjoyable and I wasn't bored at any point but some of the plutonium plot points don't really make much sense on a second viewing.

• 2Like

Jonkimble

Lord Nagafen Raider
Very enjoyable movie. Tom Cruise is awesome. Blonde chick is now on the fap list.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
That gorgeous chick inside of the record store in the previous MI movie was even more fappable. She was sexy as shit.

Praetorian

Golden Knight of the Realm
That gorgeous chick inside of the record store in the previous MI movie was even more fappable. She was sexy as shit.

Dis?
3E70541500000578-0-image-a-8_1489964152008.jpg

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Gnomedolf

<Silver Donator>
I enjoyed this one most out of all of them. The extended chase scenes were nice. I also liked the minimal use of CGI.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
As others have said, it was a great action movie. 8/10

I actually preferred the previous movie "Rogue Nation" 9/10, to this one. I felt that the story for Rogue Nation was better and was edited in a smoother fashion. Fallout was an app title as the movie was pretty much Rogue Nation 2. The action sequences were as good as it gets. It is amazing to watch an A-list actor like Tom Cruise doing most of the stunt work. The downside to this movie was its predictability. Because of Rogue Nation, you had a pretty good idea of what was actually happening, despite the attempts to throw off the viewer. The man in the hospital was the best attempt. I was kind of hoping that had actually happened and thus having changed the whole mission. It even fit the title of the movie, so for a brief moment, the trick worked.

A solid movie with a familiar crew

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Great interview with the director. Give it a listen, will make you appreciate the movie that much more.

Szlia

It would be interesting to analyze these M:I movies after seeing them back to back, but rereading some notes I took about Ghost Protocol, I feel something changed at that point. They used the back and forth with Simon Pegg's character to underline how ridiculous their plans were and then had the plans fail in multiple ways, forcing Hunt to struggle and recover again and again. That was playful, clever, funny and brought the spectator along for the ride, raising the bar for the suspension of disbelieving, allowing for thrills where normally you would get eye-rolls. This same idea is still somewhat at play here (note how often Hunt fails and fumbles before succeeding), but the comedy level is seriously dialed down, so the whole system is not as effective and enjoyable. When you add to that a plot that is so muddy just about every twist and turn leaves you cold (or scratching your head) and overlong action scenes that are nothing special, it's difficult to find that movie all that great. Still enjoyable though.

PS: I guess they get points for originality, but when your antagonists are a british spy turned anarchist and a norwegian scientist radically atheist, you have to wonder what type of connection this story is supposed to have with the real world....

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
i don't remember where i read it but they said the mission impossible movies are great because the movie focuses on TENSION in the big action scenes, not in always dialing up the action itself. That is totally true in retrospect, a lot of the summer blockbuster movies this year - Jurassic World 2, Rampage, Skyscraper - really lacked any tension for most of the movie, you weren't really worried at all about anyone dying and you knew the hero would figure everything out. While I never thought Tom Cruise might die, every action scene really felt like things were on the edge of everything going tits up any second.

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
Tom Cruise may be beyond batshit but the man does not put out bad movies. I'd be laying there like a little bitch if I did that to my ankle, good lord man.

I wouldn't.

• 1Seriously?

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
="Szlia, post: 2529604, member: 483"When you add to that a plot that is so muddy just about every twist and turn leaves you cold (or scratching your head) and overlong action scenes that are nothing special, it's difficult to find that movie all that great.

Interesting take, not at all how I felt about the action scenes. They ramped up the tension by extending as long as they did, and the plot didn't seem THAT muddy. Some twists were wasy to figure out ahead of time, others were cleverly done to surprise as they happened.

Last edited:

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
My favorite part was
Wolf ripped off his mask and someone in the back yelled “Fake News”"

• 2Worf