Mission: Impossible - Fallout (2018)

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
The Red Letter Media guys commented on the photos and paper reports as well when talking about how little cgi was used. It was an obvious stylistic choice which I think paid off.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
This came out today on bluray, btw. I picked up my Best Buy Steelbook 4k version. All is good in the world.

spronk

FPS noob
look if you criticize mission impossible fallout in any way it means you are a fake man, you have no soul and will suffer an endless torment in the deepest pits of hell for doubting the true lord and savior of earth, Tom Cruise praise be his name, and Lord Xenu who shall lead us all out of the darkness and into the light

also tom cruise explaining why motion interpolation on new TVs is bad and why you should turn it off

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Any helicopter scene plays homage to the first Cruise MI movie where he slaps a piece of explosive bubble gum on one and narrowly escape. Not the first time they've played that scenario out in the series.

Braen

<Medals Crew>
look if you criticize mission impossible fallout in any way it means you are a fake man, you have no soul and will suffer an endless torment in the deepest pits of hell for doubting the true lord and savior of earth, Tom Cruise praise be his name, and Lord Xenu who shall lead us all out of the darkness and into the light

also tom cruise explaining why motion interpolation on new TVs is bad and why you should turn it off

now-you-know-and-knowing-is-half-the-battle.jpg

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Nice catch, Blanco Niño. But too bad your ass got saaaaaacked.

Last edited:

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Good movie but so fucking stupid that the bluray switches aspect ratio for the imax filmed scenes. Only makes sense if you have a fucking imax theater.

Fucker

Log Wizard
Just saw this. I'm not a huge MI fan. I enjoy the series, but don't own any of the movies.

Redbox didn't have any physical copies to rent, but they had it on their website. I thought I'd sign up and go for a spin. They REQUIRE a phone number. WTF is that? Noped out. Looked it up. VUDU had it. First time members get first rental for a buck. SD version but good to go anyway.

I have different expectations for different types of films. This is an action spy flick, so going in the first order of the day was to be entertained and everything else last.

In that light, I give it a 10/10. I thought it was well written and perfectly cast. I thought maybe they overdid the helicopter crash/fight bit at the end, but a few minutes of crap didn't sully the excellent delivery of everything else.

That fucking Tom Cruise, though. This guy has some weird aura of non-shit-movieness about him. He's been in movies for 37 years and his big duds are The Mummy, Knight and Day. Aaaand what else? That weirdo is usually blessed. All Hail Xenu, I guess.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

joz123

Potato del Grande
He's been in movies for 37 years and his big duds are The Mummy, Knight and Day.

If Cameron Diaz was replaced by a different hot chick that would have been a way better movie. Tom Cruise was great in it.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I just watched this on 4k bluray. Holy shit, it was as good as I remembered from watching it in the theaters.

The movie did change resolution going from imax to standard movie widescreen. If you have a typical 16:9 TV, it won't be a big deal. If you have one of those super wide TV's, you'll clearly notice it. Any time it goes from movie widescreen to imax, my OLED goes from having standard black bars on top and bottom to almost full screen, like watching a 1080p TV show. If you have a super wide TV, it already looks like a standard full screen TV show, and it'll letterbox (kinda) during the imax filming.

I wouldn't have noticed this at all if Attog Attog didn't mention it, and even then I didn't notice until the helicopter chase scene because the screen was much brighter than usual. It's not like the TV blinked when it was swapping. Everything looked perfect, but the black bars would go away. Not a big deal at all.

God damn is this still a great movie.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I just watched this on 4k bluray. Holy shit, it was as good as I remembered from watching it in the theaters.

The movie did change resolution going from imax to standard movie widescreen. If you have a typical 16:9 TV, it won't be a big deal. If you have one of those super wide TV's, you'll clearly notice it. Any time it goes from movie widescreen to imax, my OLED goes from having standard black bars on top and bottom to almost full screen, like watching a 1080p TV show. If you have a super wide TV, it already looks like a standard full screen TV show, and it'll letterbox (kinda) during the imax filming.

I wouldn't have noticed this at all if Attog Attog didn't mention it, and even then I didn't notice until the helicopter chase scene because the screen was much brighter than usual. It's not like the TV blinked when it was swapping. Everything looked perfect, but the black bars would go away. Not a big deal at all.

God damn is this still a great movie.

Yep that is the deal, the black bars on the side are called windowboxing while the black bars on top and bottom is letterboxing. This movie does it, most of Nolan's stuff does it. Makes sense to do it in an Imax theater but its completely stupid to do it on the home releases. Probably not a big deal if you are watching it on a flat panel but for the people watching it on front projection cinemax ratio screens it really sucks. First world problems.

Szlia

I guess the good solution would be to be able to choose between the iMax version, with its different ratios through the movie, and the regular theater version, with some cropped sequences but with a constant ratio.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>

The man is a batshit crazy national treasure.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
If Cameron Diaz was replaced by a different hot chick that would have been a way better movie. Tom Cruise was great in it.

And honestly it wasn't that bad. It just wasn't great. Didn't Ashton Kutcher have a similar movie come out around the same time that was utter dogshit?

Brodhi

I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
<Donor>
I love the Mission Impossible movies for the most part. I think the last few --- MI:3 and MI:Ghost Protocol , and Rogue Natiom (minus Renner) were fantastic. Fallout didn't do it for me. I didn't like Cavill in it at all, it was a dumb character (someone might have been able to play the part better, but he didn't do much with it). I think the plot was pretty rough. The White Widow parts made no sense and didn't go anywhere. The whole Baldwin, Bassett stuff was tacked on and didn't add anything. The car chase (another car chase……) was as boring as the last 5000 car chases in every action film, and I could have been watching another Borne movie if it wasn't for the random bits of comic relief thrown in to remind me it was a Tom Cruise movie.

I liked the bathroom fight scene. Movie peaked then for me. Helicopter scene was the next event which woke me up, Not the best MI by far, which was odd considering the reviews I read.

• 2Dislike
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
From what I remember, White Widow was a nod to the original, as that was supposed to be daughter(?) of Max from the first MI. Personally liked Cavill a lot, even if it was obvious he was the bad guy from pretty much the start. Baldwin clearly was getting phased out or asking out from the franchise, and liked he actually got into a fight scene. The stuff with Bassett was much like Baldwin's scenes in Ghost Protocol before he gets put in charge. Don't know, guess just tastes. I thought the entire movie was fantastic, car chase just as good as always, even better maybe with how it was shot. The only thing that was completely over the top for me was the heli chase scene and some of the stuff with them falling down the mountain with the 2 crashed heli. But by that point it was fuck it all in, so you just went with it.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I love the Mission Impossible movies for the most part. I think the last few --- MI:3 and MI:Ghost Protocol , and Rogue Natiom (minus Renner) were fantastic. Fallout didn't do it for me. I didn't like Cavill in it at all, it was a dumb character (someone might have been able to play the part better, but he didn't do much with it). I think the plot was pretty rough. The White Widow parts made no sense and didn't go anywhere. The whole Baldwin, Bassett stuff was tacked on and didn't add anything. The car chase (another car chase……) was as boring as the last 5000 car chases in every action film, and I could have been watching another Borne movie if it wasn't for the random bits of comic relief thrown in to remind me it was a Tom Cruise movie.

I liked the bathroom fight scene. Movie peaked then for me. Helicopter scene was the next event which woke me up, Not the best MI by far, which was odd considering the reviews I read.
At some point you just have to look at yourself and think that maybe this movie isn't for you. Literally everyone else on this board was fucking ecstatic after watching it, and you hated the entire thing minus two ~5 minute segments. Try watching the newest version of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo that just came out a few months ago. I think it's more in your lane of entertainment.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Szlia

Literally everyone else on this board was fucking ecstatic after watching it[...]
Mmmmmmmmh.... did not hate it, but ecstatic I certainly was not. It felt like it's reusing the formula of the previous episode but sorta forgot the dosage of the ingredients.